Thread: High end Italian restaurant in London seeking mandolinist

Blog Entries

Default High end Italian restaurant in London seeking mandolinist

A very fine (to my eye) Italian restaurant in London with good reviews, somewhat pricey, organized enough they have their own PR person has inquired if we might know a mandolin player for some performances this summer, starting July 21. Assume this to be a restaurant background music kind of gig, and though they didn't specify, I think that individual should have a solid classical and Italian music background. In other words, if you're strictly a Forked Deer, Blackberry Blossom and Red Haired Boy person I'd think that would not cut it safe to say.

I replied back the first question I'd receive from anyone was what their budget was. Haven't received a reply back.

If you are that person, in London or close enough to get there, interested, PM me through this account (hint: click on Mandolin Cafe user name and that option is there) and I'll forward you on to them.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; May-31-2018 at 10:20am.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: High end Italian restaurant in London seeking mandolinist

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

I replied back the first question I'd receive from anyone was what their budget was. Haven't received a reply back.
    Well, that might put paid to the statement that there's no such thing as a free lunch. (Dessert extra? . . . Encore!)

I'd do it for a plane ticket and some cannoli.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

I'd do it for a plane ticket and some cannoli.

(I live in London so wouldn't actually need to buy a plane ticket.)
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've done this sort of gig a couple of times, and enjoyed it very much both times. It meant playing beautiful music that was meant for the mandolin, in a pleasant environment, freed from dealing with drunks, smokers, loudmouths, requests for Jimmy Buffett songs, and similar nuisances all-too-often encountered at venues here. One of them involved a two-hour drive each way, but it was worth it.

I can scarcely imagine I'll be able to do what it would take to uproot myself from here and take advantage of this opportunity, though I wish I would. I recommend someone living thereabouts do just that. If you need to learn some material, I suggest the collection from the Abruzzo region that was posted here several years ago. My repertoire consisted of half popular tunes and half selections from that collection.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

I play a lot of Italian music nowadays & it’s great fun to do in public.
    If I were in London at the wekends I’d have thrown my hat in the ring.
    But I really only get 3 weeknights every second week where I could & even then I get up at 4am for work.
    real life has a habit of getting in the way.

If there isn’t a decent response, I could chase up some of the classical players I know based in London if they haven’t seen it on here already.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

10. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

This is not an Olive Garden, The Old Spaghetti Factory, Buca di Beppo kind of place that dumps 36 ounces of pasta on your plate with a bunch of salty red sauce, couple of dried out meatballs and too much oiled salad and a ton of bread sticks in front of you, what too many Americans think Italian food is. Pretty high end, very good ratings. And they have their own PR & Marketing person.

Take a look for yourself.

I'd think dress professionally for the part, meet your employer first to discuss, have at least a 2-3 hours worth of appropriate material, a demo recording or video you can point them to, a bowlback mandolin (really, showing up with a Gibson F-9?), don't be putting up a big music stand so they can't see you, be a professional with a seasoned background, possibly have your own sound equipment, ask if they want you engaging the audience (doubtful), and charge well. They are. Oh, and I'd set expectations firmly beforehand. If they want a "stroller," you need to find that out before you arrive at the gig.

12. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    This is not an Olive Garden, The Old Spaghetti Factory, Buca di Beppo kind of place that dumps 36 ounces of pasta on your plate with a bunch of salty red sauce, couple of dried out meatballs and too much oiled salad and a ton of bread sticks in front of you, what too many Americans think Italian food is. Pretty high end, very good ratings. And they have their own PR & Marketing person.

Well, I would use a bowlback, but any fine player performing the right material will be OK on any mandolin.

"what too many Americans think Italian food is"

I assume you mean American that are not of Italian-Sicilian origin?

Because in our world, when people ask us folks where to eat good Italian food, we say:

"at home".

I would love this sort of gig, have not had one like it in a few years. The local "Italian" restaurant has no real Italians and they and the audience do not respond to the Italian music like the people in places I worked at in the past.

Buona fortuna to whoever gets this gig

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post: