Thread: Fender FM-61 SE

Default Fender FM-61 SE

Hi all,

I started my first thread on here recently and have been impressed with the group knowledge out there. So thanks in advance.

I'm looking for any info on a Fender FM61SE. It is an 8 string with a thinline like body and the hockeystick headstock, like what was on the old Fender Electric XII guitar. I just bought this online from Guitar Center's used inventory for $175. I don't like to buy instruments without playing them, but it seemed like a good deal, and I've been looking for an emando. Plus since its guitar center I can always return it if i don't care for it.

Any opinions on this model? Things to look out for? Setup advice? I just plan on using it mostly to practice quietly.

Default Re: Fender FM-61 SE

Got this Emando in the mail today.

Very nice condition. Action isn't terrible, which is good since it looks like this model has no truss rod. Gonna throw some new strings on it tonight and adjust the saddle height. The set screws are tiny.

.9mm allen key seems to work.

here are some pics.

Attachment 168171

Attachment 168172

Attachment 168173

Attachment 168174

My Fender FM60E is also from Guitar Center for not much money. Mine is built like a true Fender "thin line" so it's a semi-hollow with a solid block running the length for mounting pickups and bridge.

They are a great starting point. Electronics and setup are the weakest points IMO. Here's what I did to mine:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ktop-make-over
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

have had mine since new.. 61, 8, (the 60 is 5 strings)

thing is its glued in neck is right or its not.

lucky dip.. a much better player I know got one too, the 61 neck was not glued in right,

Mine was OK.

made my own scratch plate to use a different Strat style pickup,

whole original one could be re installed if needed..

have been considering selling it..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've heard these are hit or miss. The set neck either works or not. There's no truss rod or neck reinforcement but the neck is substantial enough that string tension isn't going to do much, if anything. Mine was a bear to setup, largely because their is no neck angle and you can only go so far with the saddles before you bottom out.

But once you get one going they're as solid as they come, balance well, are light (the Fender Mandostrat I found to have a substantial weight to it) and carry a legitimate "Fender" (inlaid in MOP on mine) on the headstock, if that's important to you. Going into it as a "project" let me have some fun - Fender's are a great modding platform - and I got a unique instrument that's fun to play and sounds great for not much money at the end of it.

Tinkerer's delight.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Just wish they did not use a single thru body ferrule for each pair of ball end strings..

One breaks , E typically , and you have to slack the other one , to get the ball out, as they jam together.

a ferrule made with a divider between them would be super..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture