Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Fiber?

Default Re: Carbon Fiber?

I don't think the eKoa I mentioned above (no one here seems to notice my posts BTW) is any less labor intensive but sounds less toxic to produce. I played that Clara uke and I thought it was amazing. It primarily made from flax fibers and (I

OTOH my absolute favorite bow is a carbon fiber one, a custom-balanced Coda bow and in that case the bows are much less expensive to produce than traditional wood one of the same quality. They don't lose their shape over time like wooden ones and I think they can be made with more consistent balance and weight. In addition, I believe that pernambuco is another endangered wood.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I thought Ovation , made a carbon-wood laminate to combine the properties

and have the wood look to the face..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've played a Rainsong WS1000 guitar for many years (it used to belong to Delaney Bramlett before that). It's not my best guitar in terms of absolute sound, but as a gigging instrument it's hard to beat. It does sound good acoustically, with a particular 'bell-like' sound, and much more bass response than you might expect. I've had pro players pick it up, determined to hate this 'non-traditional' guitar, play it, and put it down asking where they can get one. It mics and records well, with excellent clarity and note separation. It's in tune all over the neck, and has just as much volume high up the neck as it does at the bottom end. The action and setup is perfect, and never changes whatever the weather or conditions. Plugged in, it's a joy, with both an internal mic and a piezo, with a clever blender preamp. At soundcheck, the routine is 'plug in, strum guitar once. Sound engineer gives thumbs up, and leaves well alone'.
    Don't get me wrong; I love my Martins, Gibsons and hand built stuff; but if I was looking to pick up a guitar for a stage gig, the Rainsong would be in the case and in the car first.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Another Rainsong fan here. I bought an Rainsong APSE to travel with and i just love it.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Hey Jim, thanks for the heads up on Blackbird! I'm close to SF and I'm very interested in checking out their guitars and having a bit of a chat with them.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    I nearly bought one of those Mix CF F-styles. I thought it sounded really good, and would be perfect for outdoor gigs in extreme weather, camping when you want more than a beater, touring when there were a lot of flights involved, etc. I wish someone would figure out how to get those into production effeciently so that they could sell at a more competitive price-point.
    I have a Mix F5 purchased several months after moving from Calif. to England. I bought for EXACTLY this purpose and in 6 years has never let me down.
    It is much more than a beater. The Schertler pick up in it is awesome and running it through an Orchid Electronics preamp I can wrest control of my EQ back from engineers who have no clue. I use it for all my plugged in gigs now.

I have a CF guitar as well. A Rainsong OM-10000. Lovely guitar, also excellent in every respect. I don't use it anymore, so I am thinking of selling it. (the Rainsong, not the Mix. if you're in the UK, ping me.)

Daniel

Daniel

The best part about working with carbon fiber, for a luthier, is that the things you learn from one instrument are 100% generalizable to the next n instruments you make. That's not true with wood instruments. Often we do things, think they work one way, and form incorrect conclusions only to find that the idea did not hold true once we switched to a different type (or piece) of wood.

Want to see if Virzi's really make a difference? Build two identical CF mandolins, one with and one without.

Want to see if X-bracing or tone bars make a big difference, and if so, what? Make two CF mandolins, one in each configuration.

Want to see the effect of different matrix resins, finishes, cast vs non-cast tailpeces?

Go do it, no need to wonder or guess anymore... it may not be 100% directly applicable to wood instruments, but you will learn something about lutherie in general which we haven't been able to really test yet.

I'm going to do this as soon as I finish running 500+ feet of wiring so I have a functional shop again.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I thought Ovation , made a carbon-wood laminate to combine the properties

and have the wood look to the face..
    According to the Ovation promotional materials, the wood portion of the Adamas top is internal: “The Ovation 2080ES and MM80 feature striking carbon fiber twill tops with a birch core and unique Ovation quintad “T”-shaped spruce top bracing”

So maybe to have the gluing the bracing & top on, go same as the all wood ?

.. just in the bleacher seats

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Does CF even need bracing?

Check out Emerald for what can be done with CF. Beautiful design.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QV9YLvHg8o Somewhat more sterile sounding to my ears.

There are some impressive results , but I'm a traditionalist. If you are performing outside in hot humid conditions , they are worth considering .

I agree, if you thought it was hard to sell graphite guitars, just try selling mandolins to our lot.

I've found a few composite guitars I liked. They sounded different, like an entirely new tone wood. It takes a while for ears to adjust.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

While not calling into question that cold weather doesn't bother CF mandolins, i've read some claims that imply they aren't affected by any kind of weather. i wonder about high temperatures, say in a closed car in summer.