Thread: Thoughts on Bill Bussman Octave in classifieds?

Default Thoughts on Bill Bussman Octave in classifieds?

Looking for opinions on the Bussman Octave in the classifieds.

Has anyone owned/played a similar one and what did you think of it? Playability, tone, any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on Bill Bussman Octave in classifieds?

Bill has built over 500 mandolin class instruments. He does it right. Great guy, too.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

3. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Played a friend's very similar model several times, which began my interest in Bill's instruments. For me, his ovals are tonally like old Gibsons, but with better playability. He's got this down to a science. As mentioned, also a great, funny guy. If I needed an octave, I'd buy this with zero hesitation.
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I had one very similar to that one about 13 years or so ago. Mine was a blond with the prettiest maple back I've ever seen. It was a really nice playing, sounding instrument. Selling it was a mistake. I wanted to get a mandola for the shorter scale, at the time.

Recently, I have been looking for a Bouzouki. I wanted a longer scale instrument with a bigger body. There wasn't much available at the time, so I considered the Old Wave octave currently in classifieds several times, but stuck it out for a full-blown bouzouki.

If I wanted an octave, I would grab that Old Wave in a second, especially at the price it was last listed. I know the "SH" is an issue, but like all the Bussman instruments I've seen, the wood is beautiful and I bet it plays/sounds great. You might find a few insignificant imperfections, but I bet there are not many and none that really matter. If you can get it with a few days inspection, I think you will like it a lot.

The one I had was new and came well setup.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyCTA102 View Post
    I know the "SH" is an issue
    My late mother's initials. I've always wanted to try an Old Wave and have never owned an octave with an oval hole...
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

That one is perfect for you then, with true sentimental value. I cannot imagine any other reason that it hasn't sold if it is anything like the one I had. Sorry about your mom. I have to use "late" with mine too, sadly.