Thread: Hey ya'll, looking for info on my Bean Blossom Mandolin

Default Hey ya'll, looking for info on my Bean Blossom Mandolin

Hi! I'm primarily a long time bass player but I've recently been learning some guitar as well. I have some friends that play in a string band here in North Carolina and I'm looking to learn a few chords on the Mandolin and hopefully start playing with them.

A couple days ago I bought this "vintage" Morgan Monroe Bean Blossom Mandolin on Craigslist for $110. I've installed a new set of light gauge strings and I've been learning a few chord progressions. It sounds pretty nice and plays well but could use a bit of set up adjustments. The tailpiece cover is missing but otherwise it's in very good condition.

I'm wondering if anyone can give some info on this instrument. I've contacted Morgan Monroe with the serial number to find out a date of manufacture.

Thanks, Dean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morgan Monroe Bean Blossom Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	168050

Default Re: Hey ya'll, looking for info on my Bean Blossom Mandolin

Here's the serial number. 305400166

I've tried sending Morgan Monroe info but their website is lacking in contact info.
    Last edited by Bean Blossom; May-28-2018 at 8:49am.

I can’t recall if these had solid tips or not, but am pretty sure they were laminate. They’re fine as beginner mandolins if set up well, and will serve you well as a beater if you catch the mando bug and upgrade in the future. I’ve played a couple of older Morgan Monroes that were on par with Kentucky and Eastman’s entry level offerings, but they seem to be less consistently good. But, if you got one that sounds and plays well, the price is good, then enjoy it!
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Hope it serves you well and that you stay around to add another later on. Welcome!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

It does indeed have a solid top. Looks like Spruce. Sides and back are probably solid Basswood. Rosewood fingerboard. The build quality is such that I think it's an older Korean made model. I'll post a few more detailed pics when I get on my home computer.
    Thanks for the replies!

I just re topped one of these last month. Yeah, solid spruce top and solidly built as well.This ones top only failed because the factory installed pick up was just cut right through the braces. must have started caving in right away I assume. Can't say how the original top sounded but this being my sons only acoustic/electric it fills that niche just fine. Probably be just as happy in a canvas bag as a hard case.

Here's a few more pictures. It definitely needs some work on the neck and frets. I had to set the action high to eliminate a "contact buzz" on the A string at the 14th fret. The neck has "relieved" itself between the nut and the 12th fret, which is a nice way of saying it's a bit warped.

I've built a few electric bass and 6 string guitars and I've done some setup and repairs over the years so I have a few Luthier tools to work with.

I can dress the frets 12 and above and it will help. By dress I mean I'll first file them down in height a bit, probably not more than .006" to start, then file a nice radius back into them with fret file I have. I also have a fingerboard guard which will help. I''m also planning on replacing the nut with a graphite blank I have on hand and buying a new bridge to fit to the top. Once I get the nut and bridge set and dial in the intonation, it should play much better.

The potential tone is there in the wood and I think with a little TLC I can turn this into a nice first Mandolin.

Attachment 168060

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	168068

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	343.7 KB 
ID:	168069

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	168070

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	668.1 KB 
ID:	168071

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	689.9 KB 
ID:	168072

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	168073

8. The following members say thank you to Bean Blossom for this post:

Excellent that it’s solid spruce topped...set up well it should be serviceable. If it’s better than that, it’s all bonus!
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great pictures! Looks really inviting. Would love to hear you play 'er!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

The folks at MM got back to me. This Mandolin was made in China 2006-2007 and sold for $189 which is about $240 in today's dollars.