Thread: Any Fender Acoustasonic 90 users?

Default Any Fender Acoustasonic 90 users?

Specifically the newer version that came out in 2014 that is only 18 pounds not the quite heavy unrelated older version. I like the idea of a fairly powerful yet lightweight amp. I would be using it for a variety of acoustic instruments: mandolin, dulcimer, bouzouki, steel string and nylon string guitar, ukulele.

Default Re: Any Fender Acoustasonic 90 users?

I can’t say I have any experience with the new version, but I was a longtime user of the old heavy version. I never really liked it that much, but at the time I bought it there really was a limited selection of acoustic amps at an affordable price. The premium brands were good but out of my price range. So I made do. Mine just had ok sound and was a bit on the hissy side. I know this doesn’t really answer your question, but I traded in that amp for a Fishman Loudbox Artist and never regretted it. I have never seen a better combination of sound quality, versatility, power, light weight, and compact size. It sounds nice and clean, no hiss at all, 120 Watts, 2 channels, and can take a variety of inputs with no problems. You can plug in a passive piezo direct with no preamp or DI, that’s already built into the amp. You can plug in mikes for a vocal channel too. One down side, the phantom power is only 24 volts, so some condenser mikes won’t work, but I usually use dynamics anyway. For the jobs you describe, I highly recommend it. As a fellow multi instrumentalist, I have used it for dukcimer, harp, guitar, and octave mandolin.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Seter 

I'll keep an eye out for a used Fishman too. I've been eyeing the Acoustasonic 90's bigger brother the 150, seems to be fairly well reviewed and only 22 pounds for a 2x8 amp.

Placed an order for a used Acoustasonic 150, pretty excited to receive it. I'll post an update once I have it, worst case I'll just resell and get a little money back. I really like that it's so lightweight yet powerful. My Roland JC-120 is more or less immobile even with wheels.

Picked up the amp from GC today, very happy with it. Light as a feather but powerful 2x8 and 150 watts. Feedback reduction works well, effects are good, no ambient hissing sound, and is designed to also handle electric guitars which could be handy in a pinch. No longer in production but can be found affordably used. I have an idea for a video to make with it, I'll make a new thread though for the 150 when I get around to it.

My wife and I have used Fender Acoustasonic 150's for about three years. We really like them. The Fishman's are great amps but in our opinion if you use the amp for instrument and vocal the Fender edges the vocals a bit on the Fishman (again - our opinion). We use ours weekly in a church setting. We prefer to not go through the house system for the instruments. Our worship team includes 5 (plus the pianist) and we always have a base guitar, an electric and an acoustic. We usually have one of us playing a mando and a banjo and a 12. So the Acoustasonic may have a mando or a banjo going through it (with a Shure SM 57 or an I Rig stage) If you buy the 150 new it has a 5 yr warranty. One of ours went out last yr (about 1 1/2 old) and Fender would not repair it but replaced it with the new Acoustic 200. That is a very nice amp and my wife loves it not only because of its sound / features but its looks. Looks like a piece of furniture. I am old school and prefer the looks (ruggedness) of the 150 especially when we are out performing in venues other than a church. That is when we usually also use the amp for vocals. (Audio Technica System 8 with headset mic) Fender also makes a cover for the 150 and if you take your amp out and about I would recommend it. You can usually get one for $20 -$22 bucks.

Tim

I've been very happy with the Fender so far, very versatile and very mobile. I suppose I might as well use this thread for the 150 I got, here are a few sound clips I made when I got it:

I think this is just pure amp with hall reverb:

This is one of the electric guitar amp model settings with reverb as well: