Thread: Good Deal Collings - Connecticut

===========

Default Good Deal Collings - Connecticut

If I wasn't about to go on short-term disability, I would sniff this one out . . . .

https://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/...597435143.html

Default Re: Good Deal Collings - Connecticut

An oval hole at that. Must stop looking at it.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Dude, you’re killing me! Hope somebody snags that soon...
    Chuck

That's good deal IMHO!

I've never seen a top only gloss finish before. Did Collings do that a lot, or anybody else? Anybody know?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Top only gloss has been offered as an option on the MT line and the MF.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

i sent him a reply from canada. probably he won't ship or part trade for my goya f5. i prefer oval sound hole mandolins as i am a long term celtoid 's mise ghaidhlig a caipe bretainn.

i loved every collings mando i ever heard, but the ovals are mordern madterpieces for celtic

How trustworthy are these Craig's List sellers? I just bought a used Kratzer Bulldog on E-Bay. I'm a bit of a novice, but it was obvious when I got it and played it that there was something a bit off. I took it to a luthier who fixed it without much trouble, but the seller on E-Bay didn't mention the problems. I don't assume that he was trying to rip me off because, if one doesn't know how to play the instrument, it can be hard to tell if there are problems. In any case, at E-Bay, there are some safeguards and so if I were really unhappy, I could have done something about it. Are there any with Craig's List? I'd love to buy this thing, but I'm paranoid about the transaction. And, I sent the person an e-mail but haven't heard back, so it's possible that it's already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by qvole View Post
    How trustworthy are these Craig's List sellers? I just bought a used Kratzer Bulldog on E-Bay. I'm a bit of a novice, but it was obvious when I got it and played it that there was something a bit off. I took it to a luthier who fixed it without much trouble, but the seller on E-Bay didn't mention the problems. I don't assume that he was trying to rip me off because, if one doesn't know how to play the instrument, it can be hard to tell if there are problems. In any case, at E-Bay, there are some safeguards and so if I were really unhappy, I could have done something about it. Are there any with Craig's List? I'd love to buy this thing, but I'm paranoid about the transaction. And, I sent the person an e-mail but haven't heard back, so it's possible that it's already gone.
    I would be leery of buying long distance via CL for that kind of money.

That is the best reason I’ve ever seen or heard of for not putting a capo on any mandolin.
    Mike Snyder

11. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

I would say that the good thing about Craigslist is that you can test the instrument before you buy it. Of course, that goes out the window if you have to ship. I think if you can get there in person, go for it. Otherwise the risk for such an expensive purchase is too great to go in blind.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    That is the best reason I’ve ever seen or heard of for not putting a capo on any mandolin.
    Agreed, looks ugly. I do use capos on guitars and I will say that often they will mar the back of the neck even if you are very careful -- with no abuse or overtightening involved. Sometimes a rubber pad or the nylon strap type will react with the finish and leave an impression.

When I worked at a vintage guitar shop we often saw otherwise clean guitars with multiple capo marks on the back of the neck.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Good excuse to turn it into a speed neck.

Larry

Personally, the capo use on mandolins always astounds me. As for the speednecks, I avoid any instruments with these unless they are done during the build or done by an experienced luthier. I have seen some nice mandolins with ugly homemade mods that really devalue the instrument.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I know that it's just a photograph, but can any of you that are experts tell me if the neck damage looks severe. I'm still a novice at much of this, but the price on the Collings is pretty damn good. Along the same lines, if the neck has capo damage of the kind that the photo reveals (or damage from other causes), how much would it cost to get it fixed, if it can be?

Cheers
    Ken

Clark (Doug) A-style #51
    Kratzer Bulldog F-style #60

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    If I wasn't about to go on short-term disability, I would sniff this one out . . . .

https://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/...597435143.html
    Right around your backyard too. If I wouldn't wind up paying alimony I might buy another mandolin.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

===========

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Right around your backyard too. If I wouldn't wind up paying alimony I might buy another mandolin.
    I just started paying alimony in April - but, I still can't add this one to the arsenal . . . .

I know that it's just a photograph, but can any of you that are experts tell me if the neck damage looks severe. I'm still a novice at much of this, but the price on the Collings is pretty damn good. Along the same lines, if the neck has capo damage of the kind that the photo reveals (or damage from other causes), how much would it cost to get it fixed, if it can be?

Cheers
    Ken

Clark (Doug) A-style #51
    Kratzer Bulldog F-style #60
    All I see is some finish marks, I wouldn't fix them, the neck will wear as you play it anyway. If you play it enough that is.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!