Thread: Cheaper F styles

Default Cheaper F styles

I've been hanging here a couple of years. Classifieds is my first stop. It seems to me that you would almost never see a US built F style under $2500. Lately there have been some, granted with cosmetic issues , under $2000. Trend or coincidence?

Soft market or the likes of a Northfield F5 S competition for our money?

Older guys with too many paring down collections?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Cheaper F styles

I've been watching those Gibson F9s, Nashville Flatiron F5s, and a handful of Webers showing up around $2000. Those are good buys!
    There's a Ratliff R5 that's listed at $1850.
    Silverangel F5 at $1750.
    Looks like a buyer's market in used $1700-$2500 F5s right now.
    Last edited by colorado_al; May-26-2018 at 2:29pm.

If it's a low cost f - style mandolin you're looking for...

https://www.amazon.com/8-String-MAND.../dp/B001N00N6C
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Uhmmm, No. A handful of older Fs. some with issues, does not a market trend make! Non the less, if any of those trip your trigger, then you should jump now!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

You don't want cheap. You want inexpensive. It's all in how you word it. For instance, I'm frugal but you're cheap. My child is active but yours is a little hellion. You drive an old car. Mine is a classic.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

I've linked Shawnee Creek Mandolins before. No experience with them, can't vouch for them one way or 'tother, but they have small-shop, US-made, F-model mandolins for less than $1K.

Beyond that, you're on your own.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I've linked Shawnee Creek Mandolins before. No experience with them, can't vouch for them one way or 'tother, but they have small-shop, US-made, F-model mandolins for less than $1K.

Beyond that, you're on your own.
    I don't know about sound quality, but they surely are some beauties.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

9. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

back in the 50s 60s harmony made instruments guitars mandolins to name a few. in the 60s they were considered the largest maker in the us. I would not hesitate to suggest this brand but some home work would need to be done. the new ones are made in Korea but may still be worth looking at. just a suggestion. Ledbailey

About 4 years ago there was a father and son team in the USA who built F style mandolins -- solid wood, carved, binding, etc -- and sold them on eBay for the highest bid. I can't remember their name, but it was discussed on this forum. Usually, the mandolins went for $500-600, but sometimes went for as little as $400 and sometimes the bids went to $700 or $800. I never heard if anyone here bought one and if they were any good, but they were certainly priced right and it told me there are probably others doing similar things on a local level -- we just haven't heard of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ledbailey View Post
    back in the 50s 60s harmony made instruments guitars mandolins to name a few. in the 60s they were considered the largest maker in the us. I would not hesitate to suggest this brand but some home work would need to be done. the new ones are made in Korea but may still be worth looking at. just a suggestion. Ledbailey
    The instruments made by Harmony from the teens through the late 60's were solid woods. Some of the very early ones are ok, the later instruments were way less than stellar and they never made a real F style instrument. Anything with the Harmony name on it built after the company closed in the very early 70's is imported and really not high quality. None of them I've ever seen had any solid woods other than maybe the fretboard. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone personally. I was buying those dogs in the 60's because I couldn't afford better. Being the company pumping out the most instruments into a boom guitar world didn't save them, they still lost out to better instruments that were imported.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    If it's a low cost f - style mandolin you're looking for...

https://www.amazon.com/8-String-MAND.../dp/B001N00N6C
    THAT's a gotcha!

hey mike E I guess someone forgot to tell jimmy page and other notable players about them. also I did note they are now made in Korea. I will agree that the newer ones are a lesser breed. the bat wing has an interesting look and looks more like an f style than an a model as to quality ?? a used higher quality mandolin in good condition is better than most new p. rim mandolins. ledbailey

If you want to compare cheap Harmony mandolins with cheap imports you might be right. The Harmony mandolins made in the 50's and 60's cant hold a candle to the better Eastman and Kentucky mandolins. The Batwing looks a whole lot cooler than it sounds or plays. Believe me, I'm old. I've been around these things a long time. I'm going to guess your notable players probably moved on. Search Google images for those notable names and you'll see a whole lot of other mandolins other than Harmony built mandolins. The old blues guys played these things because it was all they could afford. This isn't a new conversation really.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jimm...ih=939#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.ikK12h8mQc4
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

17. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

According to folklore, Tim Hardin took a Harmony Sovereign guitar to play at Woodstock because he didn't want to risk bringing his "good guitar" in the rain, mud, and crowd. John Sebastian borrowed the guitar from Tim for his set at the festival. This added to the legend that Harmony's were better than their pay grade would indicate. I own several and like them very much, but I'll be the first to say they don't have the quality of a Martin or Gibson, IMHO.

None of this has anything to do with mandolins, of course. Agree with Mike, I don't think Harmony ever attempted an F-style, at least back in the day when everything was made in Chicago. You can still find A style Harmony mandolins on eBay, etc. for not much money and while few are great, some are good if you like vintage on a budget!

I have a friend that reworked a 30's Harmony A and it's decent. It still isn't a Gibson. John Sebastian did play a Sovereign at Woodstock. I saw him three times with the Lovin Spoonful and he wasn't playing one during those concerts. I never heard the Tim Hardin story but it makes sense.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

This thread has taken a turn completely away from the topic, probably due to my using the term cheap. A quality hand built F style, the likes of Weber, Silverangel, Ratliff, Summit, etc. that can be had for $2000 used is to me, cheap.

In the grand scheme of things, a $2000-2500, F style rates about a three on a scale of 1 to 10. That is the price point that has my interest. I've seen several more since I started this thread. Just wondering if this is indicative of a soft market or chance.

I continue to play higher end Eastmans and Kentuckys in hopes of finding one that floats my boat, but none have. Much of this may be due to newness, but then again, new Webers, Northfields, etc. sound better to me.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You can actually include older Gibson F9's and Flatirons in that price range
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Several recent Flatirons in the classifieds recently is part of what got me thinking. Two Ratliffs too. The Northfield F5 S has some influence. A $400-500 difference might just get me to buy new, $800-900 less for a Flatiron, not so much.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

thanks for that info on the batwing as I was thinking looks not bad but how does it play and sound?? you set me straight on that account. now back to bricks question. would you agree a good quality used mando might be his answer and if so what brands would you suggest. you already know I am going to suggest a 1500 made before 1989 but that's only my humble suggestion. they sell for about 1500 on the café site.

Hay Brick.. Don't forget us small hobbie builders.... you might be supprised….
    kterry

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post
    Hay Brick.. Don't forget us small hobbie builders.... you might be supprised….
    How could I? I am one. Building an Arches kit as we speak.

I just started this thread out of my noticing a lot of reasonably priced cafe offerings. Not really looking, well looking a lot but not serious until I finish my project. If it comes out ok, I'll switch my focus to teens Gibsons.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Here's the inexpensive F style you've been looking for. NFI.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber