Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bang for Buck, No Frills Player Discussion

Default Best Bang for Buck, No Frills Player Discussion

I read the great discussion for $3000 and under mandolins, which made me think...

I am selling off several extra instruments and plan to take the proceeds and buy a used mandolin. The idea is to find an easy player for my 12 year old daughter, who is playingoing little gigs with a small group (two violins, cello, banjo uke, and a guitar). They play bluegrass type sounds, with some fun Celtics and Irish folk music mixed in. Really just good hoe down music, which is not common here, so they don't have judgmental people holding them to genres. Just fast fun picking, for folks who are classically trained... we are talking great violin students/teacher having fun with fiddles/mandolins.

We don't have access to instruments for trying out here in Africa, so no opportunity to try and see what we like. The family is spending most of July in the US, so we have until mid-July to find and ship to Northwoods WI where it will be hand carried back to SA.

I am hoping for an upgrade to her Aria 180, Japanese made solid top. We have long list who are interested in taking it over, as there just isn't much to choose from here.

Guidelines:
    Targeting $1200-$1500, perhaps the real value sweet spot is $2000? There is flexibility
    Must be an upgrade sound wise
    Focused on best instrument, not resell or looks
    Not worried about scrolls, binding, inlays, or names/signatures unless it effects function
    Used not abused, prefer no structural issues, even if repaired. Scratches, dings, dents welcome
    A decent case will be required...

Default Re: Best Bang for Buck, No Frills Player Discussion

I am expecting we will find an A body F-hole, but would not shy away from the right F-style permitting. Frankly, I prefer the A-style look but my daughter has no preference, so we are going for the best option.

Particularly interested in thoughts on some instruments like the Weber Hyalite A, Weber Gallatin, SilverAngel which seem to be in the area I am looking. How do they compare, are there artisan luthiers I should consider?

Get the best deal on a discounted higher-end model, or go direct and look for a excellent condition lower-end model?

Flatiron Performer A is the definition of no frills. There are a couple in the classifieds right now: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/search

People say the integrated fingerboard makes them quiet. I never found that to be the case. The one I had was plenty loud, sounded great and played very easily.

There is an F9 in the classifieds now for $1700. That would be my first pick.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAfricaMandolin View Post
    Guidelines:
    Targeting $1200-$1500, perhaps the real value sweet spot is $2000? There is flexibility
    Must be an upgrade sound wise
    Focused on best instrument, not resell or looks
    Not worried about scrolls, binding, inlays, or names/signatures unless it effects function
    Used not abused, prefer no structural issues, even if repaired. Scratches, dings, dents welcome
    A decent case will be required...
    My first thoughts would be a Collings MT or, if you're comfortable with vintage, a Gibson snakehead. I sold an example of the former and bought an example of the latter within your stated budget.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

This looks like a crazy steal, plus it's got some worn bluegrass mojo (which I dig, but I understand that probably doesn't mean much in SA). This is also an absurd deal. AS is this. These are all in the classifieds now, so I would think you'd have a lot of good choices before July. I would think a Collings MT or a Pava Player would be a huge step up, and these fall within that price range pretty frequently.
    Mitch Russell

In that budget I would seriously consider a used Weber Bitterroot or Gallatin.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Great inputs:
    Certainly not afraid of vintage. However for this use I was thinking f-holes might be best over oval holes. She has a great sounding bowl back for when she wants a nice sustained ring...

Definitely considering Weber Gallatins and Bitterroot, as well as the Flatiron options. I have written to Montana Luthiers for suggestions as well... just missed the beautiful Flatiron A Picker they sold, but might stretch on the Flatiron Picker F prototype they have on their site. Waiting to hear what they suggest... like buying direct and knowing the set-up is good.

Do professional repairs scare people away from a nice player mandolin. There are several avail with cleat repaired cracks, peg head repairs, etc. If stable, is this a good option for a great instrument at a modest price???

Professionally done repairs like you describe should generally not scare anyone away if they are stable but the asking price should definitely reflect the repairs with a hefty discount. It always befuddles me why sellers should expect to get the same price as an instrument already in excellent, repair free condition.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Ditto on a used Collings MT
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I agree, you’re barking up the right tree with the options you listed. In addition to Bruce Weber, you may want to email Ken Ratcliff (Silverangel), Audy Ratliff, and Howard “Sonny” Morris to see what they’ll either have completed or could build for you in that range. In my opinion, you’ve chosen an excellent price point where I feel you begin to see a significant improvement in tone from the “budget” Chinese imports. Honestly, though, odds are that an upper level Eastman or Kentucky would be a significant upgrade from the Aria (though some of those are excellent entry level mandolins).

Any chance you could make the trip over to Elderly Instruments or down to Nashville while you’re here this July? Both would offer you the opportunity to try many different instruments out, and you may even be surprised by how good some of the Asian imports are...
    Chuck

A 'used' Kenticky KM-900 & the newer KM-956 would fit the bill re.tone & playability. The KM-900 is very highly regarded as being simply 'excellent' even by comparison with mandolins of both A & F styles, in much higher price brackets,
    IvanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky-KM900.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	168023
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

After reaching out to several of the recommended builders, I am leaning towards a builder I can speak to. Quick and great response from Bruce Weber, waiting to hear from Howard Morris. Safe to say I am narrowing down my search... Just missed the Ratliff in the classifieds and his new instruments may be out of my reach. Having a great time researching suggestions and learning... seems there are a lot of great instruments out there and at available currently.

Sent you a PM
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'd second the A style with f holes option. A Collings MT would be great compliment to that type of music. Modern sound, plenty of volume, and can cover the bluegrass ground as well as old time and celtic music.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

a few things to think about before you get back on that plane. mahogany, ebony rosewood & customs.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I'm saving up for a Silverangel Econo A which Ken is currently selling at $1250... the only thing that makes them "Econo" is no binding on the back... they are supposed to be killer.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

That is less a concern if you are educated on rules. I run a NGO that combats illicit trafficking, so I know and abide by the international law. However, most of the hype around moving instruments is induced by not knowing and understanding the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    a few things to think about before you get back on that plane. mahogany, ebony rosewood & customs.

I have also written to Ken about a SilverAngel and will see what he comes back with. I hear great things about them...

Was offered a beautiful Summit A that has me researching quite a bit. They seem to be a serious instruments and this is looking like a great option as well. With most of the instruments linked in this thread sold in past few days, this Summit is becoming the front runner.

I've been happy with my Silverangel, witch I just got to play side by side with Weber and Collings mandolins. All were different shades of very good. Collings are too bright for me to play solo, but just the ticket for a group setting.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

This looks like a good buy on a Silverangel
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124327#124327

Ditto on Collings MT. Could be a lifetime instrument or a trade in/sale later for another instrument.

Someone had a Northfield NF5S for $1800.00 listed in the classifieds, best price by far I’ve seen on a used one. Consistently great playing and sounding mandolins. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce