Thread: Schireson Reso. Hollywood Mando.

Default Schireson Reso. Hollywood Mando.

Is there anyone out there in Reso Mando. land that has ANY info. of the Schireson Reso. mandolins. Were they a painted body, neck and fret board . Were the cones and bridges the same or similar to the Reso. guitars? Any and all help would be great.

Default Re: Schireson Reso. Hollywood Mando.

Check out this thread: Schireson thread

There is a Facebook page that someone has set up with lots of photos, mostly of ukes. There is one Hollywood resonator mandolin.

There was one sold on eBay in 2013. It might be the same one as on FB. Here is description and few photos:

For your consideration is this very rare all original 1934 Hollywood resophonic mandolin serial number 252 (impressed into top of peghead). This little beauty has a patent date of 11-15-32 as per small gold decal back of peghead) and by 1936 production was stopped because of a Dobro patent infringement. Hollywood was the house brand owned by the Schireson Brothers a well known musical instrument retail store downtown Los Angeles. Most of the Hollywood branded instruments can be attributed to other manufacturers such as Nunes Hawaiian ukes, Los Angeles made Weissenborns and other known manufacturers. The resophonics we’ve seen however are a little harder to attribute, as they are not made by Dobro or National. Some believe that the Hollywood resophonics were actually made by the Schireson Brothers but based on no known location of a manufacturing premise, I doubt it. No modifications or repairs (small drilled hole in peghead only), this is an all-original instrument, including the finish and all hardware. This beautiful mandolin has a perfectly straight neck, the frets display very little playing wear. A fantastic instrument with interesting wooden plate between the cone and the cover plate, almost like a Virzi. Well used but taken care of instrument absolutely no issues will set up and play just fine, we’ve done nothing to it you get it as we got it. This is a great piece; it’ll be the only one on your block for sure. Original case is coming apart top seam but it’s a miracle that it’s all there. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7785_zps08169701.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	167990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7798_zpsd78a11fe.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	167991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7835_zps06c72d89.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	167989  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7810_zps9fea0928.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	167992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7826_zps8292d02c.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	167993  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, but does it have an actual resonator cone - a design that, I believe, was protected by patent at the time - or is it just a standard mandolin with a metal plate stuck on the front ?

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Yes, but does it have an actual resonator cone - a design that, I believe, was protected by patent at the time - or is it just a standard mandolin with a metal plate stuck on the front ?
    I don’t know about the current one but in the description for the one I posted above:
    A fantastic instrument with interesting wooden plate between the cone and the cover plate, almost like a Virzi.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don’t know about the current one but in the description for the one I posted above:
    This one has a cone and a wooden plate that sits on the rim of the cone where a spider would sit. The guitar I have has a cone but a saddle/bridge that is attached to the bottom of the cone and sticks up , no wooden plate.

This may interest some: the late Bob Brozman's book, The History and Artistry of National Resonator Instruments, has an appendix summarizing notes from the board of directors of National Guitar Co. as part of a chronology of the company. On Feb. 8, 1932, the board sent a letter to Shierson Bros. trying to collect royalties for use of National's patents for Schierson instruments. No satisfactory answer was received, and National was also contending that resonator instruments produced by the new Dobro Co. violated National patents. Brozman summarizes the Oct. 13, 1932 meeting as containing "much discussion of Schierson resonator guitars, made by Globe, and Regal-made Dobros..." However, the board claimed to be "unable to find a copy of the patents," which would impair their ability to compare the Schiersons and Regals as to their potential infringement.

By the end of 1933, National and Dobro were merging, as a way to settle their legal disputes; members of the Dopyera family were on the boards of both companies, apparently. But in Sept. 1934, as the National-Dobro merger was going into effect, the National board's lawyers ere "gathering evidence against Schierson," By July 1935, Dobro was no more, National had become National/Dobro, the company was moving to Chicago, and in March 1937, "National/Dobro wins case against Schierson. All Schierson dies and parts become property of National/Dobro."

Thus endeth the Schierson heresy.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schireson Mando 005.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	168045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schireson Mando 005.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	168045
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Russell View Post
    This one has a cone and a wooden plate that sits on the rim of the cone where a spider would sit. The guitar I have has a cone but a saddle/bridge that is attached to the bottom of the cone and sticks up , no wooden plate.

Here's what this thing looks like inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schireson Mando 006.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	168047  

10. The following members say thank you to Neil Russell for this post:

I have a Hollywood that looks exactly like those in this thread. Any idea of price range?

I have one of these. Any idea what is worth. Looks just like the pictures.