Thread: Sub $1200 mandolin recommendation

Default Sub $1200 mandolin recommendation

So here is my situation. I can get any mandolin at cost from the ‘big box guitar store’. I’ve played a little but do not want to spend a lot. $500-600 max + a setup. That would be anything Under $1200on their website. Im thinking a solid wood Kentucky or Loar. Any recommendations? Would prefer an f style. Is this a good plan or should I look used? Thanks. -rj

Default Re: Sub $1200 mandolin recommendation

I think you would be hard pressed to do better than 40-50% off of retail for used unless you happen into a screaming deal. So new would be a safe bet. I would prefer Kentucky as I have had several and they were all good and a couple were very good. I think Kentucky would have better resale value down the road as well. Is there any chance you can try any to see if one speaks to you?

I might as well mention it but you will get more bank for your buck with an A style mandolin. If you could live with an A and a Kentucky 950 is in your budget my search would end there. They are terrific mandolins and everything you would need for a long time. Tim O'Brien has been happy with one for a long time as is Joe Walsh. I know a few very good bluegrass players around here with A's.

3. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Is there any chance you can try any to see if one speaks to you?
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately the locations near me have a very poor selection in stock. So i'm going to have to likely buy sight unseen.

Also I am open to an A style, just would like an F and think I would like a wider nut(guitar player). But we don't always get what we want. The Kentucky 950 is $1899 on their website, too much. KM-900 is $899. Is there a major difference?

They also have the KM-1000 Master (f style) for $1700 which is still over budget but tempting.

-rj

KM-900 has a flat fretboard and narrower nut. Also has thinner fretwire.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Ken Ratcliff is selling his Silverangel Econo A mandolins now for $1250... that's a single Luthier made, crafted in the USA instrument very close to your price range... I think that's worth some consideration.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

The 900/1000 and 950/1050 are considered Kentucky Master Models. Until recently they were built at a separate facility, better woods (supposed to be from Michigan) and luthiers. They can be terrific mandolins and not just terrific for the money. The 900 and 1000 are the same specs except the 900 is an A and the 1000 is a F same for the 950 and 1050. The 900/1000 used to be a 1 1/16" width nut, flat fretboard, tiny frets and the Florida extension was left at the same level as the fretboard (which can result in pick click). They have changed them recently and the nut is now 1 5/64" so a little wider, appears the fretboard is still flat but I am not sure if they have changed the frets. The 950/1050 is wider at 1 1/8" and felt a little wider to me, larger frets and has a radius fretboard and the Florida is scooped. I had a 1050 that was great. A guy that I took lessons from has several terrific mandolins including a Gilchrest and he could not believe the sound that came out of the 1050. So the 950/1050 would fee good to you, but above your budget. Since they have widened the neck on the 900/1000 I think they should be fine but will feel skinny for a while. At the price of the 900 you might try one hopefully you could return it to your store?

The two others to look at are the 750 and 850 series. They say they have a 1 1/8" nut but may be a flat fretboard and not sure of fret size? Hopefully there is someone somewhere in your system that could answer a few questions? If not you might contact Saga Music directly and ask them for guidance. Here are the specs for Kentucky mandolins.
    http://www.sagamusic.com/products/sh...brand=Kentucky

I have no experience with Loar mandolins but have read they have a little thicker neck so a 600/700 could be a possibly.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I recently bought a used 950 Kentucky from the Cafe Classifieds for $850. It had for upgrades a James Tail piece, a Cumberland Bridge and black tuner knobs. It arrived in as new condition with a deluxe Superior case. If you find any thing even close I think you will be very happy with it provided you are not an orchestra type player. I use mine primarily for Rockabilly, but it would be ideal for a grasser. The larger frets take some adjusting to but it doesn't take long.
    It works well for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 950. But then again i'm very partial to thr looks and feel of an A style.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

As always, Especially if you are paying wholesale price, I recommend an Eastman 505 (A style/f-holes) or 515 (F5 style) or higher number (as in first digit higher, 6 or 8). I prefer the classic reddish finish (especially in varnish) to the sunburst.

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Ken Ratcliff is selling his Silverangel Econo A mandolins now for $1250... that's a single Luthier made, crafted in the USA instrument very close to your price range... I think that's worth some consideration.
    +1 on that. Only $50 more than your price and by all opinions an outstanding choice. Also it would likely be pretty well set up, saving you some good money. Anything you get from a big box outlet would need a thorough (pricey) setup job.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Maybe I am misunderstanding. I believe the OP has some sort of connection with GC or similar chain dealer and can get 50% off. So he wants to pay “$500-600 max + a setup” not $1250. I don’t think that GC carries Ratcliff mandolins so I doubt the OP will get a discount on that Mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding. I believe the OP has some sort of connection with GC or similar chain dealer and can get 50% off. So he wants to pay “$500-600 max + a setup” not $1250. I don’t think that GC carries Ratcliff mandolins so I doubt the OP will get a discount on that Mandolin.
    Jim, you understood my post perfectly. And yes brand options are limited.

Thanks for to everyone who has commented so far. This is my first post here and the passion and willingness to help is great.

- - - Updated - - -

Hence my mention of Loar and Kentucky specifically since those have the most options online.

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    ...and from what I've heard from others, well worth the money,
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

a different option would you consider buying a Kentucky from one of sagas Canadian stores . they are cheaper here and the bonus is US buying power here . you can look up saga cdn stores on google. I hope you settle on Kentucky and if you can locate an 80s version I suggest you consider it. An F or an A style . Ledbailey

Can they discount their used stuff as well? I see a Flatiron, a Weber, and a Gibson A50 used that would be close to your range. That's GC but I suppose other big box stores would have used stock.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

The choice between a 900 and up or a lower number Kentucky is a no brainier for me. The master series is more than significantly better and if that means buying and A style just do it. Nothing close to your price range is better than a 900 Kentucky. IMHO, Eastman has nothing as good as the master series Kentuckys. I've played four or five Eastman 815s and I'd take a 900 Kentucky over any of them.

Now if you had $1200 you could blow, a whole wonderful world opens up used in the classifieds.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by russbrian View Post
    KM-900 is $899.
    I understand that you would prefer an F-style with a wider nut, but if those aren't requirements, the above option stands out as the best deal to be had.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Try an Epiphone mm series. The fifty for f holes, the forty for an oval.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I've had a blacktop Kentucky KM1000 at my place for several months now. It is an absolute killer instrument in every regard, and I can't imagine a better mandolin without spending upwards of thrice the $1250 I got this Kentucky for. This one came to me with a James tailpiece and Cumberland bridge as well, so perhaps that helps it along.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Is an Eastman available? The 515 is under $1K new, and sports a lifetime warranty. Kentucky still only gives you a year.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Unless you've played a mandolin and reached your conclusion empirically, don't assume you need (or would even like) a wider nut than standard just because you're a guitar player. Center-to-center the "string spacing" is about the same between mandolins (1 1/8" nut) and guitars (1 11/16"). Just eyeballing one of each hanging on my wall, it might even be slightly wider spacing on the mandolin.

Eastman has excellent choices in that price range.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Quote Originally Posted by danmills View Post
    Unless you've played a mandolin and reached your conclusion empirically, don't assume you need (or would even like) a wider nut than standard just because you're a guitar player. Center-to-center the "string spacing" is about the same between mandolins (1 1/8" nut) and guitars (1 11/16"). Just eyeballing one of each hanging on my wall, it might even be slightly wider spacing on the mandolin.
    Agree 100 percent with this.

Again thanks for the input.

It’s goid to know about the strong spacing relative to a guitar.

Also Eastman is not an option, not a brand the store stocks.

I’m pretty sure I’m going with an a style Kentucky. Just need to decide which one.

Quote Originally Posted by russbrian View Post
    Again thanks for the input.

It’s goid to know about the strong spacing relative to a guitar.

Also Eastman is not an option, not a brand the store stocks.

I’m pretty sure I’m going with an a style Kentucky. Just need to decide which one.
    The KM505 is a really nice mid-price in the Kentucky lineup. Of course, if you can find a good used KM900 you would be ahead of the game vs the KM505.

A 900 or 950 is the one if a Kentucky is what you end up with. Very much better than the lower numbered models.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1