Thread: Cheap, Reasonable Neapolitan Mandolins?

Default Cheap, Reasonable Neapolitan Mandolins?

Ciao a tutti,

Long-time lurker, short-time player here. I'm in Italy for a few weeks studying musical composition (of the "concert" variety), but won't have convenient access to a piano to help the process along. Now, I'm classically trained on violin (twelve-ish years?) and picked up a cheap $60 mandolin three years ago just to goof off with (Rogue RM-100A). I'm well past due for an upgrade, even if I just use it for Irish fiddle tunes in social settings and as a tool to aid the compositional process. I'm looking to take a Neapolitan-style instrument home with me, but I don't have much to spend.

The main options here seem to be Musikalia's 602/2 and 602/3 models, and Soundsation's M017M. There are a few threads around this forum knocking Musikalia's quality in general, and there's nothing that I can find about the Soundsation instrument. Either way, pretty much anything will be a step up from what I'm used to, and I'm trying not to overspend. Does anyone here know anything about any of these instruments? Alternative recommendations?

I'm based in Roma, but am planning a trip to Sicilia during which I'll be able to stop in Catania. Napoli is a reasonable daytrip, but virtually all of the local luthiers catalogued here are well out of my price range. We're looking at between 200-300€ for the above options. Most of what I can find used online in this range or below looks pretty old and beat up; plus, knowing as little as I do about antique instruments, I'm not sure I'm comfortable jumping into that market. Any thoughts/recommendations/warnings are greatly appreciated. Grazie in anticipo!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RugheCotone For This Useful Post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cheap, Reasonable Neapolitan Mandolins?

Not familiar with Soundscape, but can recommend Musikalia's basic-level instruments -- and they're in Catania, so perhaps you can visit while you're there! Alda Leone has recently inherited the business from her father, so the old threads may not be pertinent. (NFI of course)

Alternatively you could write to the Neapolitan builders (such as Salvatore Masiello and Salvatore Mancino), and ask if they have any used instruments in your price range. Although I think your instincts about avoiding vintage instruments in this price range are probably good!
    Last edited by August Watters; May-24-2018 at 9:54am.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this.... but I have a restored DeMeglio up for sale in your price range, and one of my customers (who happens to be in Italy also) is also looking to sell his.

Notable financial self interest on the first, none at all on the second!

6. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Thank you both for your responses and recommendations. I decided to spend the little extra on the Leone 602/3 instrument, which I'd be happy to share thoughts/sounds on if anyone is interested! The visit to Catania had to be delayed, so any purchase would be made and shipped as soon as possible. As for the DeMeglio, I took a look at your site and gave the instrument a look and a listen. For the sound and the asking price, it just seemed more reasonable to pay 280€ and have the instrument in my hands in two days. Saluti!

Thought Eastman was in that market too, they have a Bowl back FG Case

I used to own a C F Martin Bowl back..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

There's also Matsikas https://www.thomann.de/gb/matsikas_mandolin_no_1.htm I have a mandola by them that I am happy with.

As a satisfied customer I would take Tavy's DeMeglio any day of the week though.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

10. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    There's also Matsikas https://www.thomann.de/gb/matsikas_mandolin_no_1.htm I have a mandola by them that I am happy with.

As a satisfied customer I would take Tavy's DeMeglio any day of the week though.
    I have a basic Sakis (Matsikas) bowlback, and it is quite nice for an inexpensive new mandolin.

http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com...lin%20sISI3703

$199! and not the lowest grade model either

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

As i long-time customer of Stutzman's, I can unhesitatingly recommend Dave as an honest and reasonable dealer -- should you be considering the Sakis he has for sale.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    As i long-time customer of Stutzman's, I can unhesitatingly recommend Dave as an honest and reasonable dealer -- should you be considering the Sakis he has for sale.
    It's a great price for their better than bottom end model.

Hi Rughe, I'm interested to know how you've got on with your Musikalia mandolin? I can't even play mandolin yet but I'm looking at my options in the oval hole category for learning baroque, classical and Italian traditional style pieces. Had my heart set on the Seagull S8 but have lately been looking at bowlbacks. I'm wary of entry level offerings in general having been bitten by a bouziki that wouldn't stay in tune many years ago. How have you found adjusting to the thickness of the neck on your musikalia?