Thread: Foreign Breedlove's?

===========

Default Foreign Breedlove's?

Has any had an in-hand or in-person experience with the newer, foreign-made Breedlove KF or FF models?

I am thinking about getting back into the world of owning an F-hole mandolin, and since I can't reasonably justify the much-desired jump into a Weber, I thought this might be a good semi-transient instrument.

The few reviews and/or videos that I have seen, seem to be positive, but (to modify the old saying); I thought that I would run it up the Cafe flagpole, and see if anyone salutes.

Default Re: Foreign Breedlove's?

In my opinion, they are not a good choice. They have pressed top and back, not carved, and they suffer for it. Additionally, the finish is some super thick type of poly and and they just don't have a very full sound. I owned one for a few weeks and it was not remotely as good as the USA made Breedlove that I used to own, nor as good as the Eastman and Kentucky that I had at the time either.
    You'd be much better off buying an Eastman or Kentucky at the same price.

If you're interested in one with a scroll, this is the best deal I've seen in a while under $1000.
    Used Eastman MD815 for $750
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124689#124689

If you need to keep your costs even lower, here's a used Eastman MD315 for $500
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124855#124855

Here's a Kentucky KM-752 for $799
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124585#124585

If an A style F hole suits you, it is hard to beat the Kentucky KM-250 (or 252, 256) at that price. It would be very similar to your KM-272 in feel, appointments, and finish, but different sound due to the F hole vs oval hole.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm

or the Eastman MD305. Here's one for $400
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm

I played one of the “Crossover” models when they first came out. I hated everything about it. I am a former owner of an American Breedlove. I let it go to finance my Weber but I liked it very much. It had outrageous flame on the back, a nice thin matte finish, and sounded great. The first Crossovers were laminate construction, with plainer than plain maple backs, overly thick and shiny dipped in plastic finishes, and no adjustable truss rods. The sound was best describe by my well worn phrase “like a brick with strings”. The newer ones are somewhat different, they have all solid wood now, but still plain and still no truss rod. To be fair, I haven’t played one of those improved models, so I don’t know if the solid wood makes a difference in tone, but I suppose it should sound better, theoretically.

I think for around the same money you could get yourself into a nice used Kentucky or Eastman that would be far superior to that one.

Hey Al! Just noticed you posted at the same time! Great minds think alike, don’t they?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post

If you need to keep your costs even lower, here's a used Eastman MD315 for $500
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124855#124855
    +1 on this (bet it is gone in the next few hours...)

It’s gone already!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    +1 on this (bet it is gone in the next few hours...)
    That was a good deal!
    I still think the Eastman MD815 for $750 is the best sub $1000 F style I've seen in a while.

I was going to write 'a few minutes' but thought that was overselling it. I guess my first instinct was right! Those currently go new for $949 in Canada.

No doubt that 815 is also a great deal, though for $750 the options start to get a little better.

What is important here is that we continue to validate the emphasis on F-style mandolins. I am grateful each and every day that the market artificially depresses the price of A-style mandos whilst it inflates F-styles!

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    What is important here is that we continue to validate the emphasis on F-style mandolins. I am grateful each and every day that the market artificially depresses the price of A-style mandos whilst it inflates F-styles!
    OP looked to be interested in F style, so that's mostly what I suggested, though not entirely. I agree that at almost every level, you'll get a better A style for your money. Don't want the disparity between the two to become too great or builders will stop building A styles and follow the money only building Fs.

===========

Thanks all - much appreciated . . . points well taken.

Blog Entries

Not impressed at all. Simply no comparison with the original Breedloves, some of which were very fine instruments indeed.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.