Thread: New Eastman 804 (oval hole) mandocello - strings?

Default New Eastman 804 (oval hole) mandocello - strings?

I just picked up the Eastman 804 and it is a decent instrument. Well made, the finish is thicker than Martin does on their guitars, but the sound is right there. I like this thing. I do need a new pinky finger, its having to so some serious duty now, not used to that.

My question: anyone out here have the Eastman (or similar) mandocello and can help me with experiences with strings? I really want to get Elixir nanos but they don't make the .70 + strings, darn it. So, there are some sets sold from 22 - 74 (looks about right with what came on it), Thomastik, D'Addario J78's, Curt Mangan's, Newtone, maybe more.

I see that I can get the D'Addarios very inexpensively, and they're always just fine on my guitars, so I will probably try a set of those. But I am looking for strings that will last longer (brightness) with my toxic fingers (I kill strings pretty quickly in the normal case)

Anyone have any advice?

AND, I am thrilled to have this mandocello, it really is a neat instrument.

Clark
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

Default Re: New Eastman 804 (oval hole) mandocello - strings?

I think that instrument comes stock with .065 C strings. You'd do well to move to .070 or .074.
    You'll have to do a little work on the nut and saddle for the bigger strings, but it's worth it.
    Check out this page at e-mando for all sorts of sets and info on string sizes
    http://emando.com/shop/strings_cello.htm

You should be able to find guitar strings with similar gauges to your MC strings, everything from flatwound Chromes to Elixirs...

wiping down the strings with IPA and a lint free rag will really extend the life of your strings.

I've got an Eastman MDC805. I use the D'Addarrio exclusively (--- no Good reason, beyond they're the only set sold on Amazon. I've been eyeing some of the other offerings on JustStrings but haven't been compelled to try....) I actually prefer the tone after a bit of wear-in: initially I find them too bright.

The sticking point about trying "guitar strings" on these instruments is that they must be loop end. The C course on this instrument are .074, And as far as I can tell nobody sells .074 loop end strings. Even .074 ball ends are also hard to come by, and they tend to be nickel and not phosphor bronze. The sets sold on the emando link @colorado_al shared seem to be for ball end, which wouldn't fit on the MDC804.

Quote Originally Posted by FranticTones View Post
    I've got an Eastman MDC805. I use the D'Addarrio exclusively (--- no Good reason, beyond they're the only set sold on Amazon. I've been eyeing some of the other offerings on JustStrings but haven't been compelled to try....) I actually prefer the tone after a bit of wear-in: initially I find them too bright.

The sticking point about trying "guitar strings" on these instruments is that they must be loop end. The C course on this instrument are .074, And as far as I can tell nobody sells .074 loop end strings. Even .074 ball ends are also hard to come by, and they tend to be nickel and not phosphor bronze. The sets sold on the emando link @colorado_al shared seem to be for ball end, which wouldn't fit on the MDC804.
    You can order ball end or loop end on the e-mando site. Or you can order ball end and clip the ball out with tin snips and be left with a loop end string

When I initially entered the mandocello world I was nervous about e-mando strings.... but they work really well, and are quite affordable. Two thumbs up from me! (I should re-order soon)

But what are e-mando strings? I couldn't tell, from their adver-details. Are they rebranded sets of major manufactures? This sounds like a dirty, undiscerning ad-read. Most likely I end up with those Very same D'Aadrious I was trying to flee. Tell me more, pleaze.

Quote Originally Posted by clarksavage View Post
    I just picked up the Eastman 804 and it is a decent instrument. Well made, the finish is thicker than Martin does on their guitars, but the sound is right there. I like this thing. I do need a new pinky finger, its having to so some serious duty now, not used to that.

My question: anyone out here have the Eastman (or similar) mandocello and can help me with experiences with strings? I really want to get Elixir nanos but they don't make the .70 + strings, darn it. So, there are some sets sold from 22 - 74 (looks about right with what came on it), Thomastik, D'Addario J78's, Curt Mangan's, Newtone, maybe more.

I see that I can get the D'Addarios very inexpensively, and they're always just fine on my guitars, so I will probably try a set of those. But I am looking for strings that will last longer (brightness) with my toxic fingers (I kill strings pretty quickly in the normal case)

Anyone have any advice?

AND, I am thrilled to have this mandocello, it really is a neat instrument.

Clark
    Clark, you can use a snips to cut the ball end from guitar strings and they work fine, providing the string fits through the post. This opens up a world of single string guitar gauges and types - nicke, chrome, elixir, flatwounds etc.

Bring the MC with you when you drop by to check out the Vega 207. I have some strings you can try.

I want to say that I had decided the emando strings were probably D'Addario, but that may well be due to having been looking all over to try to put together my own custom set and only seeing D'Addarios as singles in large sizes.

I've also had good luck with Stringjoy. Unfortunately their acoustic strings only go to .056, but I threw on their electrics just to try it out and actually love the somewhat different tone they give.

i went and got a couple sets of the D'Addario EJ78's. I will probably want to work the nut slots a bit, the depth is far too high anyway. Don't know if that is true for you other Eastman owners, but the slot depth has anything first position a bit more difficult than it ought to be. But otherwise, a fine instrument, I really enjoy it and never even had a hint of buyer's remorse.

Clark
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

Don't know if that is true for you other Eastman owners, but the slot depth has anything first position a bit more difficult than it ought to be.
    Most factory instruments are intentionally left with high action at the nut and the bridge so that the owner can have the instrument set up to THEIR specs with THEIR choice of strings. Factories cannot anticipate how players will like their action.

That is why buying from a brick and mortar store is a better deal. You can usually have it set up for free by staff who know you, and will be there for you next time you come in with a problem. You buy online, and get no service - just a low price. And when you do find a service tech, you will pay. At some stores, you will literally be last in line - regular customers will come first.

Of course, I expect to set up the instrument, leaving it a bit high at each end is the right thing to do. I suppose I was just surprised by how high it was, I've not seen that before. It is visually at least double the fret clearance at the nut than at the first fret. But that's why I have some nice files and a nut slot depth gauge :-)

Overall, I really do like this instrument. I'll be testing the new strings this coming week.