Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please

Default Opinions Please

Is this a good instrument? Is it a good deal? I can't go up another dollar so please don't suggest a more expensive model or that I save up for better. That said, a more thrifty option would be great.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/the-loar-lm-110-hand-carved-a-style-mandolin

Default Re: Opinions Please

$50 Rogue can't be beat for the money. Savannah SA-120 is solid top and does sound better than the Rogue for $169 new, but shows up used for under $100 on eBay and Reverb. (SA-100 is plywood -- doesn't sound as nice) No need to spend $250 for an entry level instrument, IMHO, unless you happen to like the look or the name of the The Loar better.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; May-22-2018 at 2:27pm.

I started with a used The Loar LM 220 with case that was $200.00 plus shipping (off ebay.) That's less (or about the same, I forget how much shipping was.) Mine was good-sounding but not exceptional. I have never played a 110 so I can't comment, but if you happen to find a used LM 220 I can recommend that as a starter instrument.

I love it when they say top rated, by who them ?. if it were me I would look into the Kentucky 160 for $250.00. that's a top rated brand from the people here on this web site, not a warehouse music store.

Well, I’ll say save more and get an Eastman 305, they show up used here in the classifieds for around $400. I don’t know your situation but you’ll be happier in the long run if you wait. If you don’t you’ll spend the $250, then want to upgrade anyway in the future and won’t get all your money back on this purchase.

If you really don’t want to hear that then go buy this one and don’t worry about what anyone here thinks...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

6. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

YouTube videos are notoriously unreliable for judging the sound of an instrument, but to my ears this LM-110 does not sound half bad: https://youtu.be/lqRIcf13vrE

I own a Kentucky KM-150 and love it, but that KM-160 might not be up to the same standard: https://www.folkmusician.com/blogs/m...m-160-mandolin

There are other discussions of the KM-160 on the cafe: https://www.google.ca/search?q=kentu...w=1280&bih=615

8. The following members say thank you to vetus scotia for this post:

Em Tee 

You might consider the Rover RM-50, which is also solid-topped, though not hand-carved. Goes for about $100 less than what Musician's Friend wants for the Loar.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Is this a good instrument? Is it a good deal? I can't go up another dollar so please don't suggest a more expensive model or that I save up for better. That said, a more thrifty option would be great.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...style-mandolin
    Wait, what have you been playing? You don't have any mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    You might consider the Rover RM-50, which is also solid-topped, though not hand-carved. Goes for about $100 less than what Musician's Friend wants for the Loar.
    Love to. I can't find one anywhere. Have you seen one?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I just set up an LM-110 today, so it is fresh in my mind.

They do not stand out in the tone department. They do stand out everywhere else (at the price point). Take that how you will. When you drop down to this price point, corners will be cut. Tone vs build quality. I know you would think they go hand in hand, but not at this price point.

Be careful where you buy it though. I'll leave it at that.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

13. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I won't. Buy from a box store and you'll get a mandolin that sucks to play. Buy from Folk Musician or another cafe sponsor and get a mandolin that will let you progress. Setup is everything.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I won't. Buy from a box store and you'll get a mandolin that sucks to play. Buy from Folk Musician or another cafe sponsor and get a mandolin that will let you progress. Setup is everything.
    The same mandolin at the same price is available at Elderly. That was just an easier listing to post.
    We are the music makers,

I think I'll just pass. I was thinking it might be a significant step up from my Rover RM-35s, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It just costs 2x as much. I hit gold with that 35, I'll just keep enjoying it for now.
    We are the music makers,

Sounds like a good move for now.

It would have been a sideways move at best. Maybe even backwards. I am not a fan of the tone of these new lower end Loars. I have played both the A and F styles and to my ears they sound like bricks with strings. That brand is not what it once was. They used to try and emulate higher grade instruments at more affordable prices, and those who own an older 500, 520, 600, or 700 are doing ok. But their brand’s marketing philosophy changed dramatically a couple of years ago. All they care about is making the cheapest possible models and offering them through the largest volume retailers (Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, and especially Amazon). None of those outlets does any set up. So as far as they are concerned, “mom and pop” brick and mortar stores can go straight to the devil. And by mostly offering their products through mass merchandising outlets that do no set ups, they show actual contempt for their customers, in my opinion.

Your next natural step up would be a Kentucky 150. All solid carved wood, and amazing tone! Better than mandolins costing much more. Better than some Kentucky models that are supposedly higher up the food chain. You see them pop up sometimes used for about the same money as you were going to spend on the Loar. Watch Cafe Classifieds. Elderly, Reverb, Music Go Round, and even Guitar Center Used (it won’t be set up there, though). You won’t be sorry, believe me! I really should pick up one of those myself sometime. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

19. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I got a used but virtually mint condition KM-156 for $225, just takes a little patience for a listing to pop up and to pounce on it. A well set-up Strad-o-lin in great condition might be another affordable alternative.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    .... And by mostly offering their products through mass merchandising outlets that do no set ups, they show actual contempt for their customers, in my opinion. ....!
    I suspect that they are selling products to buyers, with the aim to make money, not make musicians (or friends).
    I doubt that much additional thought (including contempt) goes into this. In my opinion.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I once read an article about guitar sales in witch it was stated that something like 95% of guitars sell for $250 or less. If true, sellers wishing to move product are doing so by selling to the uninformed.

If you walk into a serious stringed instrument store, you will see maybe one line of cheaper guitars that the proprietors have picked as well made starter instruments, and probably not the cheapest of those. Gryphon has picked Blueridge for example. They go no lower than a KM 150.

Now go into Guitar Center and you are not likely to see anything the quality of a KM 150, at least not where I live. And none have a setup good for a beginner. The big box online stores move a ton of cheap instruments. My blowout special Michael Kelly needed a fret level and recrown, the nut slots cut right, the bridge base contoured properly, etc. and this was for a mandolin that retailed for over $500.

So yes, at a $200 sell price, no one can afford to care if they want to make money.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Ibanez M-510, $149.99 (wow - that's less than $150!!! ), nice range of finishes, readily available, very good reviews on a well-known Big Box site).

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Ibanez M-510, $149.99 (wow - that's less than $150!!! ), nice range of finishes, readily available, very good reviews on a well-known Big Box site).

I checked those out, but they have a noticeable lack of the word "solid" describing the woods. This is usually a selling point so it it included if the wood is indeed solid. I therefore concluded that it was of laminate construction.

As far as reviews, I watch out for them as I frequently make Amazon purchases. I believe they are predominantly made by people who are just being introduced to whatever instrument is being reviewed. They often begin "I have never played a (insert instrument here)..." so are not universally reliable. That's why I posted this thread in the first place. I wanted the opinions of you who have handled mandolins before, and might have an informed opinion on.it. Had you all approved, I would have bought the Loar from Elderly, who sells it at the same price as MF, but with setup.
    We are the music makers,

Some may think my use of the word “contempt” was a bit on the strong side. But judging by their products, and how they are presented, it’s difficult for me to believe in any other corporate attitude.

Let me share a story that I think is a good analogy. One evening my wife and I found ourselves in the Chinatown district of a large American city. It was dinner time, we were hungry, and the streets were lined with numerous Chinese restaurants. Not knowing one from another, we went into the first one we came to. It was Chinatown, after all. Wouldn’t all the restaurants be good? Well, my wife and I are real Chinese food fans. We have been to dozens of Chinese restaurants, maybe even a hundred or more. Some were really fine meals, others average, others not so good. But in this case, I ordered General Tso’s Chicken, but what I got was chicken nuggets on a plate, all exactly the same size and shape, with something vaguely resembling watery sweet and sour sauce poured over it. As I said, we’ve had many Chinese restaurant meals, good and not so good, but I can honestly say this was the first time I actually felt like I was being insulted. I knew very well what the dish was supposed to be like, and this wasn’t it. But I couldnt help thinking, if this was someone’s very first Chinese meal, and they had no idea what General Tso’s Chicken was supposed to be like, they would have probably been happy. There was chicken. There was sauce. It was hot (in temperature, not spice). They would have been satisfied because they just didn’t know any better. But I did.

This is the exact same feeling I got when I walked into a Guitar Center and picked up a “Honey Creek” Loar. It was very out of tune, and when I finally got it in tune and played it a bit, I thought to myself, the only person who could possibly think this thing has acceptable tone is someone who has absolutely no idea what a mandolin is supposed to sound like. And because I did know what one is supposed to sound like, I felt like I was being insulted, just like I felt in that Chinese restaurant.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Some may think my use of the word “contempt” was a bit on the strong side. But judging by their products, and how they are presented, it’s difficult for me to believe in any other corporate attitude.

Let me share a story that I think is a good analogy. One evening my wife and I found ourselves in the Chinatown district of a large American city. It was dinner time, we were hungry, and the streets were lined with numerous Chinese restaurants. Not knowing one from another, we went into the first one we came to. It was Chinatown, after all. Wouldn’t all the restaurants be good? Well, my wife and I are real Chinese food fans. We have been to dozens of Chinese restaurants, maybe even a hundred or more. Some were really fine meals, others average, others not so good. But in this case, I ordered General Tso’s Chicken, but what I got was chicken nuggets on a plate, all exactly the same size and shape, with something vaguely resembling watery sweet and sour sauce poured over it. As I said, we’ve had many Chinese restaurant meals, good and not so good, but I can honestly say this was the first time I actually felt like I was being insulted. I knew very well what the dish was supposed to be like, and this wasn’t it. But I couldnt help thinking, if this was someone’s very first Chinese meal, and they had no idea what General Tso’s Chicken was supposed to be like, they would have probably been happy. There was chicken. There was sauce. It was hot (in temperature, not spice). They would have been satisfied because they just didn’t know any better. But I did.

This is the exact same feeling I got when I walked into a Guitar Center and picked up a “Honey Creek” Loar. It was very out of tune, and when I finally got it in tune and played it a bit, I thought to myself, the only person who could possibly think this thing has acceptable tone is someone who has absolutely no idea what a mandolin is supposed to sound like. And because I did know what one is supposed to sound like, I felt like I was being insulted, just like I felt in that Chinese restaurant.
    The GC employees probably intended no actual malice. Some high school dropout on his first day probably unboxed the mandolin, and thought to himself "What a pretty thing. I'll put it right here in front." Knowing nothing about instruments, he thought he was doing something good. I try to give the poor wretches that have to work in a retail environment the benefit of doubt. I suspect they just don't know any better. The shoddy practices, including if not contempt then probably disdain, for their customers, is the responsibility of the corporate bigwigs, who just want to turn a fast buck by pushing cheap product with little or no support, and hiring desperate kids for minimum wage whether they know a guitar from a spatula or not.
    We are the music makers,

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

I think you hit the nail square on the head Roger. Corporate greed seems to be the root of all evil these days.

I truly believe there was a shift in the corporate culture there. A couple of years ago I remember reading in a NAMM article somewhere that one of the company higher-ups was quoted as saying something along the lines of prioritizing Amazon and other big online retailers first, then mom and pop stores could have whatever was left over.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

31. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Complying with the O P request for information of quality for "The Loar" mandolin , I posted a video of Ray Legere playing a "The Loar" mandolin a few posts before this one, that "The Loar" mandolin sounds pretty good to me.
    I would say that if the "The Loar" mandolin is good enough for Ray Legere, it should be good for just about anyone.