Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northfield Airloom Recurve review

Default Northfield Airloom Recurve review

I picked up a new travel case for my Derrington today at the Northfield shop in Marshal Michigan. It is the new Airloom Recurve in Slate Grey. Adrain and Derek are awesome, this case is very well thought out . Everything about this case is amazing, extremely light, yet durable, and best of all my Master Model fits in it with the Tonegaurd installed. It has plenty of storage for what little I need to carry in my case. I carried it through Detroit Metro Airport effortlessly and it stowed in the overheard perfectly. Once I got back to my room I snapped a few pictures to show it off to everyone (that should explain the ugly comforter on the bed. not mine, it belongs to the dorm I am staying in). I like that the bridge has plenty of clearance when the lid is closed, so even though there is a bit of flex in the top when you push down, it is not enough to ever contact the bridge. for $275 it is an excellent buy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ilM58meSRQyE8PAAXruM2g.jpg 
Views:	879 
Size:	558.3 KB 
ID:	167875

Name:	g%fQSSvbRHmB+NOulvV0VQ.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	167876

Name:	udVdxhwcQwCLoHVk5HTHBA.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	444.6 KB 
ID:	167877

Name:	bFwsA%%8Ro2guDMoWl1U2Q.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	733.9 KB 
ID:	167878

Name:	y472Oye%RnGo1eR%vpdDCw.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	699.9 KB 
ID:	167879

Name:	g3KHYbtQRnSbGsX0Exr7cw.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	619.1 KB 
ID:	167880
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to carleshicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Northfield Airloom Recurve review

It's a very handsome case, seemingly well worth the cost. Thanks for the review.

Looks great!
    What's the difference between the different colors?
    Thanks!

The natural or tan case feels almost like plastic. The Grey Case is the same only covered with grey tweed. The green feels like a hard felt, that sounds like a bad description but it is all natural vegetable fibers, so it is hard to explain.

Thanks for this review! I've been eyeing these since they came out, and have been wanting to pull the trigger on one. My main concerns are durability with travel/touring. My TKL does okay, and I take care of my music gear. I know these are not necessarily marketed as "touring" cases, but I can't get past the good looks! Thoughts on durability? Thanks!

I have a grey one like Carl's and I am really loving this case. It seems very durable and it is easy to use... I have an A model in mine currently and the fit is perfect. One of my students has the green version and that is a handsome looking case as well.
    My feeling is this case will hold up very well for years to come...

I got the natural one. As stated, for the Griffith bodied As, it is a snug fit. With a tone guard it would be too big, but I stopped using one. I use it for my Duff and it seems to be packing out a little and I think after a while it will fit in and out with a little more ease. I do think the Duff is a pretty large body style for an A. I have also tried it with a Givens and Kentucky KM950 with ease. Those would fit with a tone guard. The pick guard hardware rubs against the side and has put a little imprint into the padding, as well. I went with the natural, because I thought it was more water resistant, but the tweed is apparently just the natural with the cloth tweed covering, so would have gotten that if I had known, but it is still good looking.

As far as durability, it has nothing on a Presto or Calton. When traveling on a plane or if I was touring I would probably keep it in one of those, but for around town at gigs and jams it is plenty tough. I'd say similar toughness to a TKL, but a snugger fit, better padding, and lighter. I've been wanting to do a video comparing the Northfield, an Austin Calton, and a Presto, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Is the new recurve is similar in padding to the travelite or the padding is better? I own a travelite right now but I'm checking to maybe buy a new case and I'm not sure if I go with a new travelite or with the recurve. I like that the recurve don't have a zipper.

I saw one briefly in the flesh last weekend at a jam in a Durham tavern. Looked nice, had the 'new' vibe - smell, appearance. The handle stood out. I guess I'm used to Travelite dimensions; this NF case seemed a bit bulky in comparison. I did not check it out in detail, how the mandolin fits, touch points when closed, does the instrument move when seated, etc. I surely could get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Carcaj View Post
    Is the new recurve is similar in padding to the travelite or the padding is better? I own a travelite right now but I'm checking to maybe buy a new case and I'm not sure if I go with a new travelite or with the recurve. I like that the recurve don't have a zipper.
    It is padded similarly with the benefit of the bridge not contacting the top as it does in the travelite.

Blog Entries

Does the case stay in place when the top is up and no instrument inside? Some tip over when empty and it drives me nuts.

From carleshicks - "....not contacting the top as it does in the Travelite.''. That's odd. I've had both my Lebeda mandolin & currently my Ellis "A" style in my own Travelite,& there's no mark on the inside top where the bridge has touched it - ???,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Does the case stay in place when the top is up and no instrument inside? Some tip over when empty and it drives me nuts.
    It opens pretty much 180 degrees, but because the top portion is slightly thinner the bottom portion raises up a bit and it's essentially balancing on the back of the bottom edge when empty and completely open.

Name:	33339759_10155628198552151_7411023239557677056_n.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	338.7 KB 
ID:	167975

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradeasley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From carleshicks - "....not contacting the top as it does in the Travelite.''. That's odd. I've had both my Lebeda mandolin & currently my Ellis "A" style in my own Travelite,& there's no mark on the inside top where the bridge has touched it - ???,
    Ivan
    Exactly the same here with my old F-5 and the Gilchrist; no mark/touch, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Exactly the same here with my old F-5 and the Gilchrist; no mark/touch, at all.
    It does on both my Gibson’s.

Name:	400DF831-75DA-4F7D-A3A8-C43DA4C7B297.jpeg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1,006.2 KB 
ID:	167988

18. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

AlanN 

Quote - " It does on both my Gibson’s. ''. It wouldn't need much of a height difference to make a bridge mark on a case lid - maybe the mandolin depth + bridge height is just different. Nothing to worry over anyway,as long as you don't hear a splitting sound when you close the lid !. The lining will most likely compress enough before any pressure is transferred to the bridge,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It has always bothered me though while traveling, if someone was to set their bag on top of my case in the overhead bin, the weight would be directly on my bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by carleshicks View Post
    It is padded similarly with the benefit of the bridge not contacting the top as it does in the travelite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Ivan
    Just a guess, but the slight difference might be due to the tone guard.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

22. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

The bridge on my NF5S also makes contact with the inside of the lid on my Travelite. The main contact points are still the foam blocks at the tailpiece and the neck, but the bridge touches the inside of the lid enough to leave an indentation (and a slight rosewood colored stain). The bridge does not touch in the Recurve case.
    Mitch Russell

24. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Can someone who own the recurve have a mandolin that's 28in long? I measure mine and it's 28in from the top point of the headstock to the base of the body and I want to make sure it fit well before ordering. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Carcaj View Post
    Can someone who own the recurve have a mandolin that's 28in long? I measure mine and it's 28in from the top point of the headstock to the base of the body and I want to make sure it fit well before ordering. Thanks in advance.
    From when I measured for a previous thread:

28" from the rear padding to the headstock end, 28 3/4" if you include the end pin slot.

Likely a tight fit. Looks like it might work, but with no extra room on the headstock end it might come down to exact specs of your mando.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I am interested in the Recurve case. Would Carleshicks or any of you guys that have been using this case for a while do an updated review? Would especially like to hear from some of you that get out and about with your mandolin. How is the outside finish/fabric holding up? Wear, dirt, stains, Etc. Interior holding up, still look good? What are your thoughts on the latches? Still functioning properly? Are they fairly user friendly?

Thanks, Adam

Only problem I can see is that the outer covering wouldn't hold stickers very well...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    I am interested in the Recurve case. Would Carleshicks or any of you guys that have been using this case for a while do an updated review? Would especially like to hear from some of you that get out and about with your mandolin. How is the outside finish/fabric holding up? Wear, dirt, stains, Etc. Interior holding up, still look good? What are your thoughts on the latches? Still functioning properly? Are they fairly user friendly?

Thanks, Adam
    I've had the green one since it was released. Despite my idiot cat using it as a scratching post on several occasions (and sitting in it on several more), it doesn't look any worse for wear. It's easy to clean inside and out using the brush attachment on a vacuum. The latches function just the way Northfield says they should -- which is to say, they require a little finesse, but I've never had one come loose when I didn't want it to.

I like the storage space inside. And there's room for me to leave the strap and clip-on tuner on (blasphemy, but whatever).

The only downside is that occasionally, the plastic clip on the shoulder straps can come undone if they get unusually twisted. This used to happen on my laptop bag too, and personally I'd rather see metal clips across the board.

Worth noting I bought a Gator case for ~$70 in order to have a mandolin shipped, and it doesn't seem any less durable or functional. I'm a huge sucker for aesthetics and "organic materials" though. I think the Northfield should last me a good long while, and I hope I upgrade my instrument before my case.

30. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

addamr 

I too have had the green one since it came out. Ditto for everything Drew said. I gig a fair amount, and it's traveled a lot of miles in the back of the truck, often with a load of PA gear. Still looks essentially the same as when I got it, with maybe a tad of fading around the hard edges. Currently has some dried mud on the bottom from a picking party at the river, but it looks like that will brush right off.
    Mitch Russell

32. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

addamr