Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandocello History ?

Default Re: Mandocello History ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    I will continue my pest quest: Do you give me permission to use this at the CMSA Solo Mandocello Reading session?
    Thanks for adding to the growing body of music that--only a few months ago--many people told me did not exist.
    Yes, of course -- feel free to use my PDFs! My contribution is just to type the universal notation into Musescore and then change the clef. I've tried to include all the slurs and articulation marks but did not copy out the fingerings given by Bickford. I attach the Bickford original if you want to add them by hand, and in case I've made any mistakes in transcription. The Bickford score has some accidentals that are not in mine as they are courtesy marks which Musescore doesn't support.

Thanks again to wundo for his Bickford scan, as that book hasn't made it to the online music archives.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bickford Cantabile Mandocello Duet.pdf  

2. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Another solo/duet from BickfordClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Long Long Ago.pdf 
Views:	77 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	171061
    It might work better as a mandola piece because of the long stretch fingering
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    I do have a respectable collection of mandocello solo music and will be presenting it at CMSA Santa Rosa in November. I do not want to "publish" or sell any of it: that is up to the actual composers to decide. Besides the concerns with editing, printing, copying and organizing the music, I want to get some reactions and opinions from the mandocello players at the session. Then I will put some of the music out, possibly in a Cafe post, and will also post contacts for the composers who might want to copyright and sell their music.
    You probably already have the "Mandocello Study in C Major" which Andy Boden posted here on the Cafe a while ago -- I recently noticed that this is now also at IMSLP in a range of clefs, with optional mandolin and guitar parts:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Mandocello_St..._Andrew_David)

Martin

Rhonda, thanks for the encouragement. It has been exciting to not just get the music but to meet and talk with some of the composers. I hope to get a list of attending MC players and get some copies to them ahead of time for perusal or practice. I am a begin-termediate myself and will be handing out things I probably can't play as well as easier accessible selections. Hope to involve the more advanced players as well as enthusiastic newbies. Looking forward to meeting you at Santa Rosa!
    Jim

Yes, I have Boden's Study in C and almost met up with Andy when in the UK last spring (sorry Andy, we never made it to London). August Watters also told me he was working on some detailed fingerings on his own music and possibly Andy's. I have to say how excited I am: when I first proposed this idea, many people told me there was no MC solo literature. Now I have to decide just how many selections we will have time to actually play through; some more challenging pieces I will simply offer to advanced players to take home. Thanks to all of you and to Mandolin Cafe!

If you interested in seeing photographs, descriptions, short histories and physical measurements of various vintage mandocellos by a number of different makers, you might check out my book, Vintage Fretted Instruments. You can see some sample pages at the website. However, the historical content is covered more thoroughly in the the Sparks books and in Graham's mandolin history book.

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com

Thanks, beautiful pictures, I recognize a few "old friends" but recently acquired a Gibson K4, so I am settled. The history, names and such are of great interest though; after CMSA I will dig into this and very likely check out your book.