Thread: Different G chord

Default Different G chord

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G chord.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	167867
    In case the image doesn't come through, I have come across a G chord that is 452x (B-G-B-muted). I don't see this shown anywhere but in my Mel Bay mandolin book. I kind of like the chord as it is "closed" and not such a big stretch as the 7523. Anybody else use this? If not why? I don't know why it is not show more places.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Different G chord

I use it a lot in passing. BUT -- I'd say the major knock against it is that it doesn't have the fifth (D) note of the chord in it.

That may not matter depending on your needs (whether you're chopping or strumming, whether you're solo or in a group where somebody else fills out the chord, etc.)

When you only have two notes, it's more imperative that the octave (B-B) notes are in tune with each other. There's no third tone to help hide those minor intonation inconsistencies that arise from finger pressure, slight bending, and other factors.

Blog Entries

There seem to be a few pattern variations of 3 finger chords that are not on the popular chord lists.
    I use 452x when I'm looking for variation. It has a 'smaller' sound than 455x which has a 'smaller' sound than 7523 (smaller is my clumsy term for describing the sound)

You might be interested in printing out a fret board layout of all the notes on a mandolin fretboard and circling all of the 3 notes in a G triad chord (G,B,D). Then look at all the possibilities for making a G sounding chord with 3 notes and then with two (doublestops). Once you have done this with a few other notes you will see a pattern that for me was an eye opener when I was getting started.

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

addamr 

Thanks for the fret board layout suggestion. I look at chord diagrams and they make my head spin, perhaps trying to "find" the chords using your approach will help. Some patterns are obvious to me, others not so much.

I use it all the time, also the A chord in the same fingering. A very useful chord and much easier.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I use it often, too. When playing in D, that shape is convenient when using the 245x shape for the D chord, and the 2245 shape for the A chord.

You can also think about using the 3 finger version of the chop shape, x523, by not playing the low string, which is easier to get to, or 455x, which is in the same area of the fretboard.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A 4 For This Useful Post:

I've used that fingering a lot, too, especially in jams. It transposed super-easy and you can go right to a D chord with the same position by just moving the fingers up to the D, A, and E strings (my favorite for the D is actually with the 2nd & 3rd fingers on the D & E strings and the first finger on the 2nd fret of the G strings).

It's also easy to make any of the chords into a 7th as well.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Depends on what you are doing before or after. I was using that fingering today, for example, but up two frets at the A chord position. When your melody allows a slide to the A note, sliding from fret 5 to 7 on D string, the easy normal way to do that is to simply do the slide and play that A note with the open A string. But for variety, in some cases moving from G chord to A you can slide that entire G chord as you've shown it up to the A chord, same fingering, and of course the E string can ring open as well at the A chord. It can be very useful.

That said, I often prefer the 4-5-5-7 for the G chord - B in the base, same basic chord as you are showing but uses all four strings and all three notes of the triad.

I consider the G7 at 4-3-5-x to be the same family of G chord voicings, and it is a beautiful G7 voicing, IMO, omitting only the root. If you actually bar the 3rd fret to make 4-3-5-3 you can add the root.

Since these shapes are movable, I use them often depending what they follow and lead to.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

0557 GGDB

That's a good one because you can just use the x55x in the middle and go to an A at x77x
    It also provides an option to add 4th string or 1st string.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I learned this G chord fingering with the mandolin method of Rich DelGrosso, when he teaches a basic version of Old Joe Clark.

I've used this occasionally in passing, but usually opt for 4-5-5-x, 7-5-2-x, or even 7-9-10-x depending on exactly what's happening at the moment. If the top string is involved then I'll go for 4-5-5-3, x-5-5-7, or x-9-10-10, again depending. I don't usually go for the 7-5-2-3 if I can avoid it. That one is a pain in the ... well, multiple places.

Quote Originally Posted by Jairo Ramos Parra View Post
    I learned this G chord fingering with the mandolin method of Rich DelGrosso, when he teaches a basic version of Old Joe Clark.
    Hmmm... I'll try this version when I next pick air mandolin

Blog Entries

I use it all the time. I like that it is portable across the strings.

In a group setting, don't worry, someone will the D in there. You can't be responsible for every dang note.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I play that chord shape all the time. I just prefer the lower note on the G strings to the 'standard' G chord tone. However,i do play a full 4 note chord,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G Major chord shape.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	167954
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks for all the great responses!
    Ivan am I correct move that up 2 frets and it’s an A?

Quote Originally Posted by Juststarting View Post
    Thanks for all the great responses!
    Ivan am I correct move that up 2 frets and it’s an A?
    Yep, all chords that use all 4 string pairs are walkable. A, B, C, etc.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

If you sound the top string, instead of muting or avoiding it, as 4-5-2-0 instead of 4-5-2-x, then you have a perfectly good Em chord, with the 1, b3, and 5 (tonic on top) Surprised no one has mentioned this yet! It works especially well in backing up tunes that alternate between Em and D (e.g, the B-part of Temperance reel).

Also, if you want to go back and forth between Em and A, just slide 4-5-2-0 (Em) up two frets to get 6-7-4-0 (A). Nifty!

20. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

From Juststarting - " Ivan am I correct move that up 2 frets and it’s an A ? " . Yes - it's 100% moveable - A / Bb / C / C# / D etc. I play that chord shape purely because i like the darker tone on the G strings playing it that way. Playing the standard G chord shape,seems to sound 'thin' by comparison - 'to me' that is = i get a 'woof' instead of a 'yap',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

I usually play that that chord without playing the A strings. The chord acts as a two note chop. 4-5-x-x (B-G-x-x). This is a closed chord position that can be chopped or played to ring out. It also can be moved up and down the neck to play all 12 keys. I do this when I am trying to play very economical chords when other instruments (often piano and or guitar) are playing the chord tones in abundance, with all instruments playing the same voicing it can become muddy. This is the benefit of learning many voicings of the same chord.

23. The following members say thank you to JRcohan for this post: