Thread: sound and setup

Default sound and setup

New player here.......
    I know ways in which setup can affect the sound of the instrument so I wonder:
    Assuming that mandolins under comparison are 'properly' setup, can small setup differences affect the 'sound' enough to bias a comparison between two instruments setup by different people for use by different people?
    CC

Default Re: sound and setup

I find a small difference in setup makes a difference that I can hear myself. If humidity changes my top, that means it also changes my intonation and action and I can hear a difference. Since I like my action very low I am usually fiddling with setup and carry a gauge to keep the action where I like it, which really keeps everything else from being an issue.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have an unproven theory that there is a point that strings barely hit frets but is inaudible as buzz. Raise them a bit and tone improves dramatically. A good action is conducive to playing cleanly which certainly makes an instrument play better.

I also am a firm believer in higher action driving a top harder from a better break angle over the bridge.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks, guys...So, unless I know what the string heights are really cannot expect to precisely compare different mandolins?
    CC

Even with identical setups, it is hard to compare new mandolins. String age, play time, settling... All come into play. A setup can change the sound. It can be subtle or extreme depending on the condition of the mandolin before the setup and how well the setup is done.

Aside from random buzzes (tailpiece, loose screws, etc.), the setup really comes down to the nut, bridge, and frets. First frets that are level, mean lower action while still having a nice clean tone. The crown on the frets, how well the frets are seated. Loose frets can hurt tone.

The bridge has a lot going on, so how well the foot is fit is a major portion, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Setup is simple, but complicated when you get into the details.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks again.....once I've had a few months of practice through my books of drills and also sheet music I've downloaded, then I may take a trip to Gryphon Strings and compare sounds.....to see just how much I really need to spend...and I will certainly try their Collings mando selection also...just to see what I would be missing with the Chinese Eastmans.

Quote Originally Posted by ppccmd View Post
    Thanks again.....once I've had a few months of practice through my books of drills and also sheet music I've downloaded, then I may take a trip to Gryphon Strings and compare sounds.....to see just how much I really need to spend...and I will certainly try their Collings mando selection also...just to see what I would be missing with the Chinese Eastmans.
    Cautionary warning: Possibly, maybe, perhaps, you might not want to know.

OK I did my fiduciary duty to your bank account. Can't say you weren't warned. Gryphon only occasionally has what I call the minimum buy in to enter the truly satisfying level of mandolin goodness, and that would be the occasional used Weber Galatin and the like. They do have a new Collings MT or two, so you can see what $1800 would get you in a used Collings. And you can see for yourself the significant gap between the Pac Rim instruments and the US makers. Then there is that wonderful little company called Northfield witch is it's own subgroup.

The cafe classifieds has a whole host of around $1500 mandolins for sale though, and any of them would be a great first "good" mandolin. Then there is the whole "well, I could drive my car another ten years" level, and even the " who really needs a house" level for those truly afflicted souls.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

What Br1ck said - once you have played an instrument in the $1500 - $2000 range, you will (likely) not be able to go back. But an instrument in that range will also be able to keep you happy for a very long time IMHO.