Thread: Finger locked during my break at gig

Default Finger locked during my break at gig

My pointer finger on left hand locked during a break. I had no idea what was happening. Notes weren't coming out, thought mando broke or I was having some kind of stroke. Then realized what the heck it was. This was about 3 hours into a 4 hr gig. Fingers felt tired and a little swollen from cutting cardboard boxes up from new kitchen cabinets.
    I can open and close today though it is a little swollen. hopefully wont develop into trigger finger. going to see Dr later who happens to be guitar player.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Finger locked during my break at gig

4 hr gig
    I know 4 hr sessions, but that gives you a lot of rest. What audience can concentrate that long?

As for dealing with cardboard: manual work is the mandolin player's enemy. I try to avoid that before a gig or a session.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    4 hr gig
    I know 4 hr sessions, but that gives you a lot of rest. What audience can concentrate that long?

As for dealing with cardboard: manual work is the mandolin player's enemy. I try to avoid that before a gig or a session.
    Interesting. I take more breaks during a four hour gig than a four hour session.

A four hour gig doesn't necessarily mean that it's the same audience the whole time, or it could be for a dance. I have played loads of four hour dances.

4. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

Tom,
    I'm a beginner at Mando, but have years of experience with finger tendon issues.......after any prolonged force or even repetitive motions those of us who are aging especially will experience what you are now.
    For myself, I stretch my fingers back every day to prevent Carpal Tunnel and I put my fingers/hands into ice water after lifting weights and also after Mando practice, and even after using weed wacker, because I found that the prolonged squeezing was causing tendon lock.
    When my issues started, I used to wake up at night with painful tendon lock but with time learned why.
    CC

I have experienced the exact same cramping or "lock" of my index finger many times. It tends to happen when I have been playing a lot, like in the later part of a gig. It happens more if I am playing tunes that are a real left hand workout, especially in first position. Tunes in Bb where there is a lot of use of the first fret are particularly likely to cause index finger cramping. When it happens on stage, my band mates know the signs and jump in to cover for me. It usually takes about 1 minute for it to "unlock", and another couple of minutes for it to limber up so that I can play without problems. I stick my left hand in my back pants pocket and use the pocket to slowly pry the locked finger open and to stretch it out. I've gotten pretty good at doing this without it being noticeable and continuing if I'm singing.

Some things I have found that help to prevent this finger cramping -
    - regular practice to keep my fingers in shape and limber
    - taking breaks regularly when playing
    - stretching my fingers, and working them with a "squeeze ball"
    - eating a banana before playing (calcium helps reduce cramping)
    - drinking vitamin water or Gatorade to get some electrolytes (also helps reduce cramping)

If I do all these things in prep for / during a long gig, I'm usually okay.

Hope this helps you.
    Rich

Hard to explain but the size and shape of the fingerboard (neck) of a mandolin can cause this to happen, I noticed that it happened to me twice when playing a certain mandolin and when I started using a different one it has never happened, the problem is we don`t know which one is causing it and which one will cure it until it happens...

Willie

My hands are beat up right now due to all the garden work I do in spring. I put in a new flower bed so dug up California clay akin to concrete and had to bust up all the clods with a hatchet, then bare hands. Then there is the tree trimming, so that doesn't do my shoulder any good. I'm at the age doing most anything hurts. I just pretty much play through the pain, but can't play as long.

When the wife wants something done she always makes sure to tell me not to hurt myself. LOL. That limits me to sitting around in an easy chair.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    4 hr gig

Yes, 4hrs. 3 is alot more comfortable. lots of wineries and now breweries popping up all over in the lower hudson. Probably at least a dozen wineries/breweries in 10 mile radius from me. The wine sucks but the beer is great.

===========

I had trigger finger a couple of years ago. The the best of my recollection there was no warning sign of it coming on . . . I just woke up one morning, and it was locked. It was kind of intermittent at first, but after a few days it was well set in. Playing the guitar hurt like crazy (I wasn't back to the mandolin yet, at that point) - and even after I had the cortisone shot, it still took a few months before my finger got back to normal.

Here's hoping that you dodge that bullet and get back to normal very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I had trigger finger a couple of years ago. The the best of my recollection there was no warning sign of it coming on . . . I just woke up one morning, and it was locked. It was kind of intermittent at first, but after a few days it was well set in. Playing the guitar hurt like crazy (I wasn't back to the mandolin yet, at that point) - and even after I had the cortisone shot, it still took a few months before my finger got back to normal.

Here's hoping that you dodge that bullet and get back to normal very soon.

About 3 years ago, my right thumb locked. Later in day, while driving, my index finger on that same hand got trigger finger. Out of nowhere. Just driving. I had it for 3 years, where I had to wiggle knuckle with other hand for it to release. Praying it doesnt happen on left hand.

Blog Entries

I'm no doctor but I've had my fretting hand cramp up playing at a jam a couple of times. Each time it was a long day were I got dehydrated and then over played. Kinda tuff to play once your fingers curl in and lock up. Hope it's not trigger lock. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I'm no doctor but I've had my fretting hand cramp up playing at a jam a couple of times. Each time it was a long day were I got dehydrated and then over played. Kinda tuff to play once your fingers curl in and lock up. Hope it's not trigger lock. Good luck!
    I have experienced the same thing when I'm dehydrated. You play a long set and don't drink enough and suddenly a digit or several lock up and you can't open them back up unless you grab them and pull them back with the other hand. Move wrong again and it happens again. I constantly drink water now during long sets. Don't re-hydrate with beer. It will make it worse.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Hi Tom - When i read your post ''Trigger Finger'' was my first thought - i suffer from it myself. Hopefully all you have is some severe strain from you box cutting . I had an op. on my left hand first finger & thumb to release the tensor sheaths that were causing them to 'trigger' - it won't be coming back. Currently,i have severe TF in my right first & second fingers. It's really bad in my second finger.
    My first finger is pretty stiff,& it's making holding a pick a tad tricky. If the pick slips,i have to put it right with my left hand. If it get's too bad,i'll go for the op. once more - once it's gone,it's gone for good.

If anybody feels a finger stiffening up - get it checked out. In it's early stages,TF can be relieved by a steroid injection into the site, which reduces the swelling in the tendon,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Tom,
    Oh yes.....once I tried to practice after gardening.....my forearm was quite stiff...bad tremolo that day.

All the things mentioned help: hydration, not having sustained muscular contraction, magnesium/potassium/electrolytes. Another thing is to use something to work the muscles that open the fist, the antagonists to the muscles you're working so hard. i use a powerweb but you can just use the other hand to provide resistance (also bending guitar strings up works those muscles but you may or may not do that alot) : http://www.pwrwebintl.com/
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds