Thread: Is mandolin easier on the hands/neck than acoustic guitar?

Default Is mandolin easier on the hands/neck than acoustic guitar?

I'm thinking of getting into Mandolin and have some nice acoustics.One question that I ask myself(since I'm in my late sixties)is....Would this be easier on my hands and neck?(I had 2 neck surgeries a few years ago....Successfully).
    I can play my guitars with little issues physically,but always wonder if the Mando would be alot more friendly to my body & hands over time,as I age.....Not as big a stretch on the fret board and don't have to go over the Mandolin's body like on my acoustics.I find keeping my shoulder close to my body is quite comfy,as I played around with a Mandolin last week,at a local shop.....Any advice greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Is mandolin easier on the hands/neck than acoustic guitar?

Yes. I have always found the guitar neck to be a struggle. With a mandolin neck I feel in control.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLonesomeF5 For This Useful Post:

I have mobility issues and found that I can only comfortably play a 3/4 size guitar. Yes, a mandolin is much easier on my shoulders and neck than having to reach out to the lower frets of a full sized guitar. You will just have to get used to the closer grouping of the strings and frets. But I can play mandolin much longer without my left shoulder getting sore.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I find my mandolin to be significantly tougher on my left hand than my tenor guitar. Both tenor guitar and tenor banjo are painless for me to play for long periods. I have to be very careful about how much I play mandolin.

I've been dealing with Carpal Tunnel problems for 40+ years, all while playing acoustic and electric guitars. But I find that I can play the mandolin for a good half hour or so with no problems. Playing guitar I only good for 20 minutes of so. Just dropping my hand and letting it relax for a couple of minutes allows me to continue for another couple of songs.
    The reason is all in the angle of your wrist. Maybe it's just me, but playing with the neck at a much higher level lets me keep my wrist straighter and relieves a lot of stress.
    I did mention this to my doctor and he thought that it made a lot of since. (I wish you could have seen the look on the nurse's faces when I walked into the exam room carrying my mandolin. I got stopped more than once.)

I had heart bypass surgery and was able to pick up a mandolin and play some after two weeks. It was months before I could play guitar at all. A good mandolin with a great setup is paramount.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

I have acquired neck, lower back and leg mobility issues within the last 10 years, and was forced to always sit while playing banjo or Dobro, primarily due to their weight. I have no such issues with mandolin, I can stand and play it for hours. Because it stands by itself with little or no weight on the player's body, I can also stand while playing the bass.

Regarding hand issues, I've been lucky to not have any yet, however I would observe that string tension on a mandolin is much higher than guitar or banjo, which reflects itself most of the time in the tremendous calluses that a person gets from playing mandolin...

Because the mandolin has 8 high tension strings in a very narrow string space, it is critical that the string action, neck relief and neck profile are all setup properly for each individual mandolin player to insure comfortable and really safe playing.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Personally, I find mandolin to be much harder on the hands, the backs of my hands especially. I have spent quite a lot of time over the years working on technique and have had a setup done by a well respected mandolin luthier but holding down those double coursed high tension strings definitely makes my hands hurt more than acoustic guitar does. Never noticed any problems with my back or neck though.
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

Physical limitations are definitely unique to each individual, but I find the mandolin easier on me than the guitar both in terms of right shoulder and left hand. I've developed some right wrist tendonitis that is aggravated by the guitar, but not the mando.
    Mitch Russell

Easier on the shoulders/neck, yes. Double courses and higher tension make it a little tougher on the left hand, though a good set up goes a very long way in making fretting easier. Of course, you’re on a mandolin forum, so take it FWIW, but we’ve never going to advise you to not take up the mandolin
    Chuck

I have only played parlor sized guitars for the last several decades now. Much more comfortable to play. My favorite now is a 2-17. What a great size and sound. I fingerpick and realize small guitars are more suited to that style, but can be strummed too. I also use light strings. This helps hand pain an is closer to the body and more comfortable if you have shoulder issues.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I play mandolin exclusively now but several years ago I'd play a guitar for a while in one band then mandolin for a while in another kind of a mixed up situation, I'm talking several weeks at a time for each band. My point is each time I changed it would take a week or two before my callouses would acclimate to that particular instrument. I don't know if one is really easier on your fingers or just different.

Magic,
    I am admittedly new to stringed instruments, specifically Mandolin in my case. Even after setup with .012 .012 .010 .010 clearance, I needed to hold my fingertips in ice water for 5 min after practice sessions so they would not be aching the next day.
    My sister-in-law handed me her guitar(not a big one...sorry, I was too ignorant then to ask it's official size) and the comfort was wonderful......though the neck too large for my small hands. So, Mandolin is the instrument for me...of course I love the sound, or at least, the sound I hope to have when I'm better at this and perhaps have a better instrument as well.
    I continue to ice everyday because even with my two month old calluses there is soreness after practice(1.5 hours average daily)...remember that fingertips are just soft tissue over hard bony fingertips.....check out an image of human skeleton to appreciate the kind of pressure on the soft tissue that your fingers experience when playing.
    Yes, it took me two months of intense practice and icing to get comfortable...but I still must press hard to sound good. It's worth it, I think. Just listen to some classical musicians(von Lichtenberg, Martineau on Youtube) and also Jeff Parker (Youtube) to hear the nice sound that only a mando can give.
    You could also consider a Bouzouki with a lovely double stringed sound, but larger than Mando, if you can find one.....I'm told that retail models are rare if any, and most are made to order...
    CC
    Last edited by ppccmd; May-21-2018 at 11:09am. Reason: errors made

I play guitar, mandolin, tenor banjo (20" string scale) and 5-string banjo. I found (hope) that the change in neck size and sting tension lessens risk of repetitive issues.

Ranking of neck/shoulder associated problems (most to less):

guitar
    5-sting banjo
    tenor banjo
    mandolin

Ranking of fretting hand/wrist problems (most to less):

guitar
    mandolin
    5-string banjo
    tenor banjo

Quote Originally Posted by ppccmd View Post
    ...but I still must press hard to sound good. It's worth it, I think. CC
    You may want to have your mandolin setup checked out. There is a lot of tension, but you shouldn't have to press so hard to play. You can also get member Rob Meldrum's setup guide to do it yourself simply by sending him a personal message or email.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You may want to have your mandolin setup checked out. There is a lot of tension, but you shouldn't have to press so hard to play. You can also get member Rob Meldrum's setup guide to do it yourself simply by sending him a personal message or email.
    In my case(as the original poster).....I have no issues with my fingertips,but the forearm and hands often times become sore.Admittedly,I also most likely over do things,like going to the gym too soon,after a practice session,or getting on the computer for long periods,right before or after a long-ish practice....I HATE getting older!!!

I did find the closeness to the body and small signature of a mandolin to be very comfy.I did not find fretting to be a problem....I'm on the fence(leaning towards adding)about buying a nice mandolin,at least for the contrast to guitar....but...it will take away from my already poor guitar skills.....ARGH!