Thread: Trade a killer Collings MT for a Pava A (satin/player)?

Default Trade a killer Collings MT for a Pava A (satin/player)?

Hi, After a 7+ year break from serious mando picking/practice, I've recently back to picking my Collings MT (with J74's, 1.5 Primetones mostly). And I've noticed 2 things.

1. It's a killer MT. Loud, bell like tones. If there's any variations among MT's, I believe this falls into the "outstanding" group. I got lucky with this one.

2. However, I notice the tone is "rough". It really seems like Waterloo WL-14L... of mandolins. Loud, bell like tones, raw, gritty. But sometimes a little abrasive to my ear.

Recently, I've been poking around the Cafe and read/learned about the Pava A5 (satin or player only... pro is too much $$$). MAS has me wondering if the grass is greener...

Again, my MT is LOUD (which I need since I'm a quite player). But tonally, I would like something a little "easier on the ears".

I hear the Pava A5 has a great tone. But how consistent are they in regards to volume? I wouldn't want to trade down in regards to volume.

Thanks y'all (and sorry if this has been discussed 1000 times).
    Last edited by lespaul_79; May-20-2018 at 6:36pm.

Default Re: Trade a killer Collings MT for a Pava A (satin/player)?

I too have an MT. I LOVE IT!
    I though do not have problems with rough tone. It is clear.
    I am curious which pick you are using, and what is your attack angle with the pick. Is it possible that this might be of help in changing the tone realized?
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

3. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

===========

My first inclination is to think that if you keep the Collings you will simply not be happy with the tone - and for many of us, tone may be the #1 ingredient to finding the right mandolin. So, from that perspective, it seems like you are ready for a change - and a move to Pava is definitely not unreasonable.

While I am certainly no expert, I have noticed over the years that Collings seems to be the most consistent when it comes to volume - as you say, they are just plain 'LOUD'. Although I can't say exactly how consistent they are, Pava is no slouch when it comes to volume either - so I would think that the only remaining question is to you really NEED all of that volume, or are you able to sacrifice a touch of volume for the upgrade in tone.

p.s. - Eric has an excellent point, above . . . all of this might simply be resolved by looking at how your playing style may have changed a bit, after the long layoff.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

I've had a Pava and a MT together for a good spell. I'd guess the Collings was somewhat the louder of the 2. The Pava did have the more tasty tone for my ear. Both are very excellent imo

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

What year is your Collings? Maybe Pava built it?
    I'd go play a Pava if there are any for sale near you. Bring your MT and see how they compare.
    You might also try some mellower strings on the Collings and see how that suits you.

Think about Silverangel and Skip Kelley mandolins as potential next Mandy’s. I’ve owned an MT that was loud, crisp, and more in the modern but not harsh camp...2016 or early 2017 model. I chose to keep my Silverangel and turn the MT into a Mandocello. I’ve since acquired a Skip Kelly A style with F holes that has a much more even response from bass to treble, and a more refined tone. Excellent bass , mid, and treble, with exceptional playability. But, there are going to be some songs/tunes for which I prefer the SA.

Haven’t played a Pava, but, if my MT had been my only option, I’d have happily kept and played it. If you’ve got a monster, be careful about releasing it into the wild...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
    Loud, bell like tones, raw, gritty. But sometimes a little abrasive to my ear.
    That seems like a contradiction in terms to me. How can it be bell-like and abrasive at the same time.

I have played a few Collings that I liked a lot and then some, not so much.

What strings do you have on it and are they relatively new? Have you considered trying different strings? I have been using D'Addario NBs on my mandolins lately. I took out my Flatiron A5-2 and have been loving the tone the more I play it.

As far as loud, you can play softer. I would play it as much as you can for a few days and see if it changes to your ears. Try different rooms, too. You may grow accustomed to it. Or possibly not.

BTW the grass sometimes is greener but it also can dry up and turn brown after awhile. Then you may want the original grass back. Bring your MT, if possible, to wherever you are trying out another mandolin and compare.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a friend that has a Pava, and I've played a few MTs but never both back to back. All I can say is Pava #1 is wonderful. My opinion of MTs has gotten more favorable as I've played more of them. I think they are voiced to cut through in bands and jams.

I could live with either.

I can live with my Silverangel too. Sonicly the opposite from an MT. Pava in the middle.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

From Jim Garber - " How can it be bell-like and abrasive at the same time ? ". My thoughts exactly - but !!. I can understand that myself - to a point. My Weber "Fern",using EJ74's along with a Primetone pick,sounds very loud & clear but it ain't 'subtle'. I put a set of GHS A270's on it once,& the thicker .016" 'A' strings cut like a knife - is this similar to what the OP's experiencing ?. Maybe an over bright treble can be termed 'abrasive' =- rough on the ears !.

I'd be tempted to try a few different brands of strings & one or 2 different picks. Since i've been using the Primetone picks,i don't need the more powerful DR strings, except on my larger than standard Lebeda. The picks produce enough volume from any of my mandolins,without making them sound rough or harsh,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

My Pava is not my loudest axe. However it is the cleanest and even sounding. When I choose to change picks and attack the volume does increase. My pick control decreased as the attack increased. I just need to play for another 10 years. She can do everything I ask of her. Wonderful mandolin.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

I think there are a lot of great instruments in that 2-3k new range. If you trade even up, no harm done. Webers, Collings, Pava, Northfield, and many others, all make great mandolins in that category.

I made the mistake of moving around in that category and losing a bit of money each time...selling for a little less...buying for a little more. They're all good. They're all a bit different.

Maybe what you really want is a mandolin that retails around 4k. Maybe used. In that case play the heck out of that Collings, save some money and be on the look out for a Pava Pro, an MT2, a Big Mon, etc. Sell your MT when your ready to move up, instead of a side-grade.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have a Collings MT and a Pava Player, they are both wonderful. They sound different, but neither one is better than the other. I will never let either of them go. I also don't prefer either one to the other. Some days I prefer one, some days I prefer the other. I could not chose between them - I thought about it when I read your question. I would get the Pava and keep both (if you can afford it.)

15. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
    Again, my MT is LOUD (which I need since I'm a quite player). But tonally, I would like something a little "easier on the ears". I hear the Pava A5 has a great tone. But how consistent are they in regards to volume? I wouldn't want to trade down in regards to volume.
    I owned both an MT and an early Pava (before the Satin / Player / Pro distinctions) side by side for over two years. In my experience, the same quality that made the Collings cut through a mix made it a bit strident for solo play. And the same complexity of the Pava which was so pleasing by itself got lost in an ensemble. So I'd base my decision primarily on the intended application.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

17. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Boils down to:
    Don't sell the MT till you've heard the Pava face to face.
    Get rid of the one you like least. (But this experiment could cost you return shipping.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Try a RL Givens A-6 if you want loud !

I like Collings mandos with softer picks. The primetones are really brash to my ear but I find Dawg picks (and Golden Gates) to be really nice with the Collings sound.

Dan

21. The following members say thank you to danoNC for this post: