Thread: Any Dave Mathews fans?

Default Any Dave Mathews fans?

Looking for someone that has the tabs for "You and Me" by Dave Mathews and you want to share.

Thanks

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Any Dave Mathews fans?

I like Dave Matthews a lot. I'm not exactly a fan, if that means following all his music. I had a listen to You And Me and have to say I'm not sure what you're looking for. It's a vocal tune with guitar chords and riffs. Are you wanting to play the chords and throw in similar riffs on the mandolin? A chord book is your friend. There are numerous sites that give the chord progression.

So: I don't claim to be a fan, and I don't have "the tabs" - but no one else has answered, and I can share what I would do in your situation, if you want to play this song on the mandolin to accompany your vocals.

1. Learn the chords
    2. Experiment with the best voicings for each chord. You do this with an eye to smooth transitions and a feel for a suitable rhythmic groove to what Dave is playing.
    3. Experiment with a few riffs to go inside each chord, that would give a similar vibe to the riffs Dave plays. This, too, will help you decide which chord voicings (fingerings) to use with each chord.

I don't believe you are going to find any mandolin tab for this song, but the approach that I would take, outlined above, is not difficult to do. Depending on your skill level, it will only require a lot of experimentation, some learning, and a lot of practice.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

No. You asked, I answered.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Another resounding NO !

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Hildreth For This Useful Post:

Not even an itty bitty little bit.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

Who's Dave Matthews?

10. The following members say thank you to mee for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

To JimnAZ, if you see this, don't be put off by that fact that our colleagues are chiming in to diss Dave Matthews, we like to have a lot of fun around here, and obviously these guys don't care for his music at all ... but their posts are pretty funny.

Anyway, I notice you've only made two posts in the forum, this one and the one where you announced you were starting out with mandolin. Since then, you haven't responded to either post. If you do stick with the mandolin, take a moment and respond to your threads. This site is a great resource for mandolin, and you may find the mandolin to be the most fun of any instrument you've ever played if you stick with it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

12. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I like Dave Matthews, and Mark Gunter has some really good advice about how to go about playing your favorite stuff on the mandolin. Have some fun and actually learn how to play your mando - don't just learn how to play songs. Especially if you're a kind of 'jamband' fellow (pardon the label) because it's all about making the music. If you wanna twist your mind up, figure out a way to transpose guitar tab to mandolin.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    To JimnAZ, if you see this, don't be put off by that fact that our colleagues are chiming in to diss Dave Matthews, we like to have a lot of fun around here, and obviously these guys don't care for his music at all ... but their posts are pretty funny.

Anyway, I notice you've only made two posts in the forum, this one and the one where you announced you were starting out with mandolin. Since then, you haven't responded to either post. If you do stick with the mandolin, take a moment and respond to your threads. This site is a great resource for mandolin, and you may find the mandolin to be the most fun of any instrument you've ever played if you stick with it.
    Yes, please dont be put off by our critiques of DWB. They are meant to be good natured. His work is not for everyone, but if you like it, go for it. It's not in my range, but I have to say that he and his bandmates, particularly his violin/fiddle player Boyd Tinsley, are very active locally encouraging children musically. We are very supportive here otherwise, and (usually) will be s helpful as possible.

As far as his music, I would search online for at least the chord sequenses. They should be around in guitar sites. That will at least be a starting point.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams