Thread: New fav

Default New fav

This woman does two videos worth watching a few times. I love this stuff.
    https://youtu.be/gC0OeaBNFbQ
    https://youtu.be/bg9kSGcK1Fc
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

Blog Entries

Default Re: New fav

Nice!
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I like the first etude piece. It looked like it was fun to play.

The second one: I get the left hand pizzicato but after a minute it just annoyed me. And the video was odd. I would have preferred to see Annika play instead of walking around a church followed by a stalker.

For your viewing convenience:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

“I like the first etude piece. It looked like it was fun to play.

The second one: I get the left hand pizzicato but after a minute it just annoyed me. And the video was odd. I would have preferred to see Annika play instead of walking around a church followed by a stalker. “

Ha! I should have warned everyone that it gets better and more interesting about halfway through.
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

The first one was written by the Swiss guitar instructor and composer Jürg Kindle.
    He recently published two volumes of mandolin pieces:
    Fingerfood 1 http://www.juergkindle.ch/werke_detail.page?we_id=198
    Fingerfood 2 http://www.juergkindle.ch/werke_detail.page?we_id=199

Annika Hinsche writes:In the present book of studies, „Fingerfood II“, Jürg Kindle presents twelve varied and refreshing exercises of intermediate level. The goal is to not only hone finger‐ and plectrum skills, but also to empower ambitioned mandolinists step by step to reach high levels of skill through musicality and creativity. Fingering and stroke symbols serve as templates that highlight key phrases from a musical point of view, but can be adapted to match the musician’s skill level.
    I wish you all much joy and success with this enriching book of studies.

Those studies look like they might be fun. $20 for a download. Hmmmm...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Cochiti Don View Post
    “I like the first etude piece. It looked like it was fun to play.

The second one: I get the left hand pizzicato but after a minute it just annoyed me. And the video was odd. I would have preferred to see Annika play instead of walking around a church followed by a stalker. “

Ha! I should have warned everyone that it gets better and more interesting about halfway through.
    The video or the music. Hey, I like modern music but IMHO that just seems pretty rote and bland throughout. And the technique is not all that difficult —only the timing where the right hand plucks are inserted. Calace pieces often have that and it is a fun technique. I prefer a little more melodic approach or at least some interesting rhythms.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Annika Hinsche plays together with her husband, guitarist Fabian Hinsche in the Mare Duo.
    http://www.mareduo.com/
    There's a video on Youtube, where they perform a Rumba by Dieter Kreidler, a well known German Classic guitarist.

That piece doesn't seem too difficult, so I ordered the sheet music...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Interesting...this "rumba" sounds exactly like Moliendo Café, the venezuelan song by Hugo blanco...¿an arrangement, plagiarism, a loan?

https://youtu.be/mO6XzesMgFk

Nice! Annika Hinsche is amazing!

"The video or the music. Hey, I like modern music but IMHO that just seems pretty rote and bland throughout. And the technique is not all that difficult —only the timing where the right hand plucks are inserted."

This is one of the "12 Preludi" by Carlo Domeniconi. We are all entitled to our opinions. Mine is that the Domeniconi preludes are among the most important music written for the classical mandolin in the past several decades (see my review in the CMSA Journal of Annika's excellent CD of this music). As for difficulty, while there are passages in most of the preludes are "easy" (the score, by the way, for "nam dost" is in two staves throughout) and one or two pieces that would be approachable by a intermediate-advanced player, overall the collection is on the far side of professional technically, and all require professional musicality to even think about. The specific skills to make these pieces work in performance are very different from those in Calace, Munier, etc. They are part of a new style of composition for mandolin that is emerging in Europe (and, to a lesser extent in the US) that departs from the tradition of seeing the mandolin as a plucked violin. Some of the very best young mandolinists in Europe are playing this music; an example would be Lotte Nuria Adler, a student of Caterina Lichtenberg and the recent winner of the Yasuo Kuwahara competition (Lotte, at age 19, is already one of the very best mandolinists in the world. At the Eurofestival Zupfmusik in Bruchsal three weeks ago I gave a late night solo concert. Lotte and her guitarist played their recital at the same venue just before me; Lotte played another of the Domeniconi preludes as her solo spot, a spectacular performance). I have not played any of the preludes yet in public, but it is on my to-do list.

Re: the Jurg Kindle pieces, these are intended for intermediate level players. All of very well constructed, and serve their intended purpose; it would be possible to put together a mini-suite of, say, three, depending on one's tastes, for performance (I have not done this). I highly recommend them.
    Robert A. Margo

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post: