Thread: Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

Recently I took a girls' trip to New York. Based on recommendations in the Cafe, we saw Andy Statman perform at a synagogue in Greenwich Village. What an experience! I was not expecting such an intimate venue. Andy and his trio set up in a small room, which had a few chairs set up in rows, plus a table with a few chairs. Wish I had thought to take a picture of the room. Anyway, we were 4 of only about 20 people. I believe these performances are somewhat regular, but must be the best kept secret in town.

Andy graciously offered to let me play his mandolin after the performance. If all goes well, I'll post my favorite video of that night, as well as a picture of Andy and me. (I have permission to post the video here.)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3931.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	167845

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

He's really great! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    He's really great! Thanks for sharing!
    He is amazing!

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Sherry, sounds like you had a great time. I think Andy is a tremendous player. Seems like he doesn't get the same love here at the cafe compared to other people. I have one of his method books also. Good stuff. Thanks.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

10. The following members say thank you to Trav'linmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trav'linmando View Post
    Sherry, sounds like you had a great time. I think Andy is a tremendous player. Seems like he doesn't get the same love here at the cafe compared to other people. I have one of his method books also. Good stuff. Thanks.
    I like his playing a lot - more than I like a lot of his contemporaries' mandolin playing.

But I am also partial to Klezmer music, too - and although he's a master clarinet player, I love his Klezmer mandolin style.

You're right, Larry. I had a terrific time. I hadn't heard of Andy until he was recommended by a couple of folks in the Forum. I was blown away by his playing. Admittedly, I'm blown away by everyone's playing but mine. Andy's was exceptional, though.

David, Andy played his clarinet the night I attended, and I suppose he always does. Never having had the opportunity to hear someone play mandolin live, I was rather anxious for the clarinet to end. I suppose Andy played some mandolin Klezmer, although I don't know exactly what that is and wouldn't necessarily recognize it.

13. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

I had planned to drag my friend out to see him when I was back in NYC in April, but he had taken a couple of weeks off from the synagogue gig. What a drag!!

"Old Brooklyn" sounds to me like a record that could only be made by New Yorkers - exuberant, intelligent, funny and sweet by turns. Not much I miss about the place, then I hear a record like that ... It's so great that he's such a nice guy on top of it. Glad you had such a good evening, Sherry!

Blog Entries

What a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I like his playing a lot - more than I like a lot of his contemporaries' mandolin playing.

But I am also partial to Klezmer music, too - and although he's a master clarinet player, I love his Klezmer mandolin style.
    Andy Statman is kind of a mystery to me. And a source of frustration. I understand the appreciation the people like Sherry have for his good nature and intimate performances. And if I had the chance I'd go to a concert there. And maybe I should so I can speak to him 'face to face' about this issue. And that is that he rarely plays klezmer music for the public. Andy knows a lot about traditional klezmer music but he only does klez improv and popular stuff like bluegrass, improv on popular tunes, blues, jazz, even tunes from the 'Beach Boys'.

I play klezmer music on mandolin and mandola and sure would like to see some from the 'expert'. Oh well...
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

17. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Andy Statman is kind of a mystery to me. And a source of frustration. I understand the appreciation the people like Sherry have for his good nature and intimate performances. And if I had the chance I'd go to a concert there. And maybe I should so I can speak to him 'face to face' about this issue. And that is that he rarely plays klezmer music for the public. Andy knows a lot about traditional klezmer music but he only does klez improv and popular stuff like bluegrass, improv on popular tunes, blues, jazz, even tunes from the 'Beach Boys'.

I play klezmer music on mandolin and mandola and sure would like to see some from the 'expert'. Oh well...
    Has he stopped performing Klezmer in secular contexts? I know he has gotten more Orthodox over the years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Has he stopped performing Klezmer in secular contexts? I know he has gotten more Orthodox over the years.
    I'm no expert on Andy Statman. But I know that he played at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst Mass. not long ago. It is the most logical place to see klezmer music. He played blues and Beach Boys tunes.

As for klezmer clarinet, he is really into improv. Not much help there if you want to hear the standard tunes. It seems that he saves the good stuff for the Hassidic community. I wish I knew more. Or I hope he would know how much we want to hear traditional klezmer on mandolin.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

20. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    I had planned to drag my friend out to see him when I was back in NYC in April, but he had taken a couple of weeks off from the synagogue gig. What a drag!

Bummer!

A couple years ago I went with other members of Carlo Aonzo's Manhattan Mandolin four-day orchestra camp to see Andy Statman and he recognized Carlo so only played his mandolin that night (although the clarinet was sitting by his side). the music was pretty incredible. I remember some klezmer but it was mostly a mix and a lot of improv. It was almost like being at a secret concert. Pretty neat.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

23. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trav'linmando View Post
    Seems like he doesn't get the same love here at the cafe compared to other people.
    There's plenty of Andy going around on the Cafe. Not many mandolin players get two lengthy feature articles about them. He's well known among many. Case in point:

Andy from the history database
    Andy Statman Interview from 2010
    An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio from 2012

There is a lot of archived news about him as well, mostly around new project releases.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the info. I will have to dig into these articles. I probably worded that poorly. Should have said something along the lines of " he doesn't get___

Ah never mind. I should just shut my mouth.
    And dig into the archives more.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Larry, don't beat yourself up. If it weren't for you, those links wouldn't have been posted.

Thank you for that Sherry.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8