Thread: The mandolin makes guitar

Default The mandolin makes guitar

So I'm Hennessy markow and at my grandmother's uncle my dad's great great uncle my great great great uncle is Peter porako and I know he was famous or known for making violins and mandolins but I happen to have in my possession porako guitar can anybody tell me about this

Default Re: The mandolin makes guitar

With all those "greats" involved, you've got me curious! How about a few pictures?

here's a thread with one of his mandolins:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...orako-Mandolin
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

4. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

If the spelling of your great-great-great uncle's last name was PoraYko, there's a fair amount about a Canadian guitar/mandolin builder by that name accessible through Google. Here's a Canadian Guitar Forum thread with some pix.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    here's a thread with one of his mandolins:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...orako-Mandolin
    And here is another thread: A 1930s Hybrid Mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Hennessy markow View Post
    So I'm Hennessy markow and at my grandmother's uncle my dad's great great uncle my great great great uncle is Peter porako and I know he was famous or known for making violins and mandolins but I happen to have in my possession porako guitar can anybody tell me about this
    How about a pic?

You've seen the thread on the Canadian Guitar Forum? The youtube post mentions a hawaiian too.

how about some punctuation ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Some punctuation would increase our ease of understanding, certainly. Sometimes my eyes just glaze over and I don't even bother to read things that are confusingly written, especially if I'm tired or in a hurry. Other times, I muddle through and try to figure out what the person is trying to say. I try to be sympathetic towards those who, for whatever reason, have language and writing skills that aren't the greatest (got some of those in my own family - for instance we have a stroke survivor whose language/writing skills suffered as a result of the stroke), but it can still be challenging to determine what's being said or written. For public forums, there's obviously going to be a better chance of getting more/better responses when a question is written such that it's easier to understand, but I realize that people do the best they can.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

A couple of old threads about Porayko guitars on some other guitar boards.

On this Canadian guitar forum another descendant of P. Porayko posts.

There is another discussion on the Acoustic Guitar Forums.

These are both pretty old so many photos do not show up. Too bad.

The descendant who goes by the name of kevbo-east posted some guitar photos. He says:
    Peter Porayko was my great-great uncle. I have two of his guitars. I also have the forms and tools that he used to make his guitars, violins and mandolins. It is wonderful to hear that there are still a few of his instruments out there.
    Is this guy the OP's father?

Here is one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1e913a9b371de0b7912996cf2fb4b9b7.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	167897
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Do people do the best they can? To be generous, no.

How's my punctuation?

I'd say deliberate.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Do people do the best they can? To be generous, no. ...
    Depends on the person.

I'd say deliberate. ...
    Could be, that's a possibility. Hard to say.

Punctuation is one thing, but I find it annoying when a person posts here with a question and a bunch of us try to answer it but the OP forgets to check to see if anyone replied. At the worst, they may never show up again. Oh well...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Well, I can't imagine why they might not show again........
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Thanx, but I'm driving. Maybe later.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

You are bidding on a Rare Pre War Orpheum Imperator Style C Jumbo Archtop Acoustic Guitar with the Old Orpheum Imperator Style C 1035 Tag inside and #1035 engraved on the back of the head stock as seen, I believe guitar was made by Regal in Chicago for Stadlmair Wholesalers of New York City around 1935 and not many were made and the company was only making them till 1940 when they went under they say they are as good as the Gibson LS , very rare guitar and great sounding, it measures about 42" long and 16" at the widest and 3.1/2" thick with a 26" long neck with 21 frets 6 rectangle pearl inlay fret.
    Guitar is being sold as seen with No Case and it needs some restoration but it still plays and tunes and the tone is like they say deep tone that all Jazz players love and it has rectangle pearl fret markers two have damage chips and cracks but 4 are good, the neck and the backs two piece panel and sides and the off white edging on the body and the oyster shell inlays of the name on the head are good condition for age, but the top is concaved, split, and cracked and the top has been filled above the pick guard and glued trough out and around the front of the F holes, and it has some cracking the top as seen, the original pick guard has been cracked and re glued and it has some finish wear and its warped but looks good and mounted with newer screws, the original tailpiece has been moved ??, and the tuning peg have been changed and the last owner and the person used long screw so they are just poking through the head stock like pin holes very small. the off white edging has been replace the the top off the major area of the neck and a 10" piece at the bottom of the necks fret boards edge. So here she is guys and even in her state she still looks nice and still has the old look and she can be played and tuned, the concave does not look to bad and it does not affect the sound and seeing they did not make many and they are hard to find, still a great find guitar. Note guitar will be packed well for shipment.

I only managed to read this through because I was awe struck

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    You are bidding on a Rare Pre War Orpheum Imperator Style C Jumbo Archtop Acoustic Guitar with the Old Orpheum Imperator Style C 1035 Tag inside and #1035 engraved on the back of the head stock as seen, I believe guitar was made by Regal in Chicago for Stadlmair Wholesalers of New York City around 1935 and not many were made and the company was only making them till 1940 when they went under they say they are as good as the Gibson LS , very rare guitar and great sounding, it measures about 42" long and 16" at the widest and 3.1/2" thick with a 26" long neck with 21 frets 6 rectangle pearl inlay fret.
    Guitar is being sold as seen with No Case and it needs some restoration but it still plays and tunes and the tone is like they say deep tone that all Jazz players love and it has rectangle pearl fret markers two have damage chips and cracks but 4 are good, the neck and the backs two piece panel and sides and the off white edging on the body and the oyster shell inlays of the name on the head are good condition for age, but the top is concaved, split, and cracked and the top has been filled above the pick guard and glued trough out and around the front of the F holes, and it has some cracking the top as seen, the original pick guard has been cracked and re glued and it has some finish wear and its warped but looks good and mounted with newer screws, the original tailpiece has been moved ??, and the tuning peg have been changed and the last owner and the person used long screw so they are just poking through the head stock like pin holes very small. the off white edging has been replace the the top off the major area of the neck and a 10" piece at the bottom of the necks fret boards edge. So here she is guys and even in her state she still looks nice and still has the old look and she can be played and tuned, the concave does not look to bad and it does not affect the sound and seeing they did not make many and they are hard to find, still a great find guitar. Note guitar will be packed well for shipment.

I only managed to read this through because I was awe struck
    You've lost me. I don't know what this refers to. Lack of pictures is frustrating. Where is the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ..I don't know what this refers to...
    Perhaps the world's longest run-on sentence, several hundred words -- and only three periods.

I'd call it "Joycean" if I'd ever read any James Joyce.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Perhaps the world's longest run-on sentence, several hundred words -- and only three periods.

I'd call it "Joycean" if I'd ever read any James Joyce.
    Yes, you got it. Sorry to Jeff Mando and others for not replying with quotes to "how about some punctuation ?"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV For This Useful Post:

I think it is just plain rude to start a conversation and then not participate in it, especially when you've asked a question.

Regarding punctuation, I've arrived at a different perspective. As important as good punctuation is for many reasons, the iPhone keypad requires you to go to the second page to get a period for your sentence as well as any other punctuation you need. It's a total PIA. It took me over a year to find out you can hit the space bar twice to insert a period, but then you have to hit the back arrow if you are typing .com or something like that, and there is no shortcut for other punctuation. I find myself slipping into the abyss of using very little punctuation on that phone and "expecting" others to realize I'm on an iPhone. I can only imagine what this is teaching young people who have iPhones and use them for their internet activity. And that is from a corporation that pride's itself in the educational arena.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    I think it is just plain rude to start a conversation and then not participate in it, especially when you've asked a question.

Regarding punctuation, I've arrived at a different perspective. As important as good punctuation is for many reasons, the iPhone keypad requires you to go to the second page to get a period for your sentence as well as any other punctuation you need. It's a total PIA. It took me over a year to find out you can hit the space bar twice to insert a period, but then you have to hit the back arrow if you are typing .com or something like that, and there is no shortcut for other punctuation. I find myself slipping into the abyss of using very little punctuation on that phone and "expecting" others to realize I'm on an iPhone. I can only imagine what this is teaching young people who have iPhones and use them for their internet activity. And that is from a corporation that pride's itself in the educational arena.
    Yes I agree, navigating the key functions of these devices is a PIA. As a result I will sometimes resort to shortcuts/phone shorthand with friends and family, but not such that it creates ambiguity or is just difficult to read.

Aside from any possible misunderstanding lack of punctuation may cause, the practice is rude. It says to me that the sender/poster thinks the reader isn't worth the effort of communicating clearly.

As for young people and their phones, they are the most adept with the devices so should have the least physical challenge producing a coma.

Wow, I really must be old.