Thread: Noam Pikelny on a tenor...........banjo

Default Noam Pikelny on a tenor...........banjo

I know, I know....it's a tenor banjo, not a tenor guitar. But the performance was too sweet to resist.

Mitch Russell

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Noam Pikelny on a tenor...........banjo

Sorry, that’s not a banjo. It’s a National tricone and it looks like a plectrum guitar—longer neck than a tenor—which makes a lot of sense since it would be same scale as a banjo and tuned the same without the fifth string.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Agree with Jim. It is, however, a very cool instrument that he gets some amazingly haunting tone from. He’s such a monster of a musician!
    Chuck

Is that guitar neck as wide as I think? Maybe I've been handling tenors and mandos so much lately.

I did a double take when for a moment I thought it was a 12 string because of the wide (perceived) fretboard.

It is very much like this one, thought the one that Noam is playing is a style 1 tricone plectrum guitar and this is a style 2. Major difference is the engraving. The scale lengths on these are longer than the tenor guitars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg4880.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	167852

Here is a plectrum next to a tenor. Tenor photo is at a bit of an angle so the fretboard looks wider. But you can see that the tenor is much shorter scale. The plectrum has a 26 7/8” scale. The tenor has a scale length of approximately 22 ¾".

Name:	TriPlectrum-Tenor_compare.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	167853

Matthew Woods plays a similar one to Noam's here:

Last edited by Jim Garber; May-20-2018 at 10:15pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Is that guitar neck as wide as I think? Maybe I've been handling tenors and mandos so much lately.

I did a double take when for a moment I thought it was a 12 string because of the wide (perceived) fretboard.
    It definitely looks on the wide side, but that might just be comparing it to the size of her hands. I have no idea what the nut width of those old RK's is.

And good info with the plectrum guitar! I assumed it was a long necked banjo ala Pete Seeger.
    Mitch Russell

Regarding the fretboard, I think it’s just the angle and the fact that she’s tiny. Pickles won’t be found shopping in a big and tall section, and she’s smaller than him...

Kind of like when Sierra Hull plays guitar or OM. Makes me a little angry that I can’t get my much larger hands (than hers) to do even a quarter of what she can

Also, that’s a really nice version of that song, thanks for posting!
    Last edited by CES; May-21-2018 at 8:41am.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is very much like this one, thought the one that Noam is playing is a style 1 tricone plectrum guitar and this is a style 2. Major difference is the engraving. The scale lengths on these are longer than the tenor guitars.

Name:	rg4880.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	167852

Here is a plectrum next to a tenor. Tenor photo is at a bit of an angle so the fretboard looks wider. But you can see that the tenor is much shorter scale. The plectrum has a 26 7/8” scale. The tenor has a scale length of approximately 22 ¾".

Name:	TriPlectrum-Tenor_compare.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	167853

Matthew Woods plays a similar one to Noam's here:

His expression in the still; does anyone else hear the monsters behind him to the left and right saying "Play tiny human! Play!"?

The Fretboard Journal piece that accompanied the video (on their website) said Noam accompanied Caitlin’s entire show with only that National tricone plectrum. Pretty amazing. Chris Thile also did a cool Tesessee Watz with Chris Eldridge during a recorded visit to Mandolin Brothers several years back. That’s a Punch Brothers majority!
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...