Thread: Cittern string gauge/type question

Default Cittern string gauge/type question

My friend Gary loves to build instruments; guitars, fiddles, mandolins. His skill level has increased to the point that he is capable of building excellent instruments. During Gary's learning process, he has built a few which are not as successful.

In 2012, Gary built a 10 string cittern. The design and workmanship was generally quite good but Gary concluded that the effort was unsuccessful and he put it aside until now, with it strung to full tension. The three ply neck had no truss system, and a significant warp had developed. And the glued bridge had separated from the top.

I had been doing set up work and repair for Gary (he likes building and not repair). I spied the abandoned cittern in his shop, and asked if he would mind me attempting to revive it. He told me to have at it.

Regluing the bridge was straightforward. I added some ramps to the 5 rear placed holes to increase the break angle.

The warped neck was another issue. I decided to attempt straightening the neck with my trusty Stew Mac neck heater which I have owned for nearly 30 years. Since the instrument was assigned to the junk pile anyway, what was there to lose? I heated the neck in cycles of 35 minutes heating followed by rest periods. I did this for 9 cycles over a three day period before the neck had assumed the desired slight backbow. All this heating had done a number on the frets, which were now popping from the shrunken fretboard. So I had to do a complete leveling and set up.

The completed instrument sounds very good. It's design results in a mellow sound with excellent sustain.

I have doubts the repair will last with standard steel strings. I am considering silk and steel strings with a reduced gauging, perhaps 11-47.
    I seldom use the fifth string.

The scale is 22.5".

Any ideas?

Default Re: Cittern string gauge/type question

Need to know your tuning to be of any help...

Tune it low to high CGDAE.

22.5" is quite short for a low C2 course. What gauges were on it when you got it?

You could try these gauges if you want to try steel strings but keeping the tension pretty low (I was shooting for around 20# per string):

len 22.5"

E4 .013" PL == 21.34#
    E4 .013" PL == 21.34#
    A3 .021" NW == 21.05#
    A3 .021" NW == 21.05#
    D3 .030" PB == 21.1#
    D3 .030" PB == 21.1#
    G2 .044" PB == 20.19#
    G2 .044" PB == 20.19#
    C2 .066" PB == 19.38#
    C2 .066" PB == 19.38#
    total == 206.13#

Mats Nordwall from Sweden has had success with citterns at the 22.2" scale length range using the following string guages at a DGDAD (low to high) tuning incorporating octaved courses and mixing steel (high) and nylon (low) on the two lowest courses. Getting a low D or C at that scale length is going to be a challenge at lower tension. Here are his gauges:

Small cittern, tuned DADGD (high to low) string guages:
    014p; 014p; 024w; 024w; 032w; 032w; Hannabach E6n High Tension; 024w; Hannabach A10n Medium Tension; 032w