Thread: Carbon or all Synthetic Mando For Tough Conditions

Default Carbon or all Synthetic Mando For Tough Conditions

Hi,
    I apologize if this has been covered and I didn't find it in my searches but I spend a lot of time traveling as well as in a house heated with a wood stove that's insanely dry for 6 months of the year. I'm mainly a guitar guy and last year I sprung for a McPherson carbon acoustic and I have LOVED having something I can always have in the car with me. I'm a big fan of playing music every day. I'm getting serious about the mando again and I'm looking for the equivalent that I can leave in the car in the heat or the cold and that I can leave out in the dry wood stove room with no worry. Does this exist? It seemed like Mix was doing something like it a few years ago but I can't find anything. I'm open to spending what it takes while still being responsible. Thanks!

Default Re: Carbon or all Synthetic Mando For Tough Conditions

Hey, I just posted this in another thread

A few years back Peter Mix was on the scene with the NewMAD then Mix mandolins. They were decent instruments but were pricey. I don't think Peter is building any more (I could be wrong about that). We have a few other members that are currently building them in small quantities. I'm not sure where the future is for them. I haven't bumped into any recently. Some history in the mandolin world can be found here.
    Keep in mind that there is a wood fingerboard on the Mix. That's one reason you can't leave it soaking in the pool.

There is also reinforced concrete.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

You might want to consider an Adamas carbon fiber mandolin that were made in the USA by Ovation just before they were sold to Fender and then DSW a few years ago. It has a walnut neck, bridge and binding, but the body and top are pretty indestructible. They only made about 30 of them, so they don’t come up for sale very often but there is one listed here

NFI, and this listing has pics of both a guitar and mando so you might want to check with the dealer for others. They are not very loud acoustically but they sure sound great plugged in.

I really appreciate the input here. I've been loving my Collings A for several years and while I'm sure any carbon/synthetic build won't have the same volume or tone I would at least be able to pull it out anywhere and keep it with me...the more I play the better my days go!