Thread: Looking to upgrade...

FranklintonBill

Default Looking to upgrade...

I got a Rogue that I set up a couple years ago to see if I liked the mandolin. I love it! My wife wants to by me a new mandolin for father's day. I'm sure she's looking in the $400-$500 range. What are the best options?

===========

Default Re: Looking to upgrade...

A-Stye, F-style, Oval Hole, F-holes, Bluegrass, Jazz, Celtic, ?

Do you live in an area where you can try multiple mandolins, or will this most likely be an internet purchase?

Some background would help . . . then you'll get bombarded with opinions.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Definitely try to get to some place where you can actually play a good selection of mandolins. You might find a relatively modest one that just "clicks" with you-- feels right,sounds right.In fact, don't even look at prices if possible until you've played the instruments.
    Used, you'll get more bang for your wife's buck.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

FranklintonBill

I have an A-style, but I don't really care too much about the looks. The F-styles do look cooler though.

I play a little bit of everything, but I favor folk and Celtic music. I've been invited a few times to bluegrass jams, and will soon feel comfortable enough to join. I guess I'm really still finding my likes and dislikes.

It'll be an internet purchase. I live in rural Louisiana, and I don't have any shops close by. Gonna be a blind buy...

I'd check out the Kentucky KM-250 and its siblings in other colors (KM-252, KM-256). Or if you'd like an oval hole the Kentucky KM-270 or KM-272, KM-276. Oval hole mandolins are often favored for Celtic and folk.
    Also the Eastman MD-305. Or Eastman MD-304 for an oval.
    I recommend that you buy from a shop that will do a proper setup for you.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...rent-amber.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...rent-brown.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...2-mandolin.htm

https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...lin-gigbag.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...lin-gigbag.htm

Here's a good inexpensive case
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...44411000000000

Around 2K$ or better, mandolin builders can offer much better workmanship ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I haven’t been playing Mando long but am a long time guitar player and dabbled in banjo once upon a time. I’m looking to upgrade my mandolin sometime in the next year (hopefully less). I’m really intrigued by the Big Muddy Mando Co. If a flattop oval interests you at all check out their website. Handmade in Rocheport, Missouri. Solid wood. And some models can be had for close to your aforementioned price range.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I've had two of those cases, and they are solid but quite a tight fit. I was afraid it might press down too hard and sink the top. Just something to keep in mind.

This one is pretty good, too, and there's a used one for the same price. Much more roomy.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-CG-0.../dp/B0061YYBH2
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I've had two of those cases, and they are solid but quite a tight fit. I was afraid it might press down too hard and sink the top. Just something to keep in mind.

This one is pretty good, too, and there's a used one for the same price. Much more roomy.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-CG-0.../dp/B0061YYBH2
    I think it depends on the mandolin. My Kentucky KM-272 fits great in the Musician's Gear case and was swimming in the Guardian that I tried. It does put a bit of pressure on the bridge, but no more than other cases I have had, including my Collings case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180519_135609_1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	508.0 KB 
ID:	167798

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I think it depends on the mandolin. My Kentucky KM-272 fits great in the Musician's Gear case and was swimming in the Guardian that I tried. It does put a bit of pressure on the bridge, but no more than other cases I have had, including my Collings case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180519_135609_1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	508.0 KB 
ID:	167798
    Yes, neither of mine did any actual damage. Maybe I just tend to fret over such things. Otherwise it was a nice case for the right price. How long have you been using it?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

11. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Yes, neither of mine did any actual damage. Maybe I just tend to fret over such things. Otherwise it was a nice case for the right price. How long have you been using it?
    I've had this particular combo for about a year. I have a JBovier A5T in the same model case and have had it for about 5 years with no issues.
    I don't think I'd use the Musician's Gear case on a $4000 mandolin, but I don't mind it for my $450 Kentucky.

My concern with the Guardian case was that the mandolin moved too easily inside the case, which can also result in damage.

FranklintonBill

I read a review on km-272 on this site last night that made me start leaning that way. They seem like a great mando. There were a lot of follow up positive statements as well. Any real difference between Kentucky and Eastman?

FranklintonBill

Babysteps, mandroid...lol! The wife is willing to do a step up, not a giant leap. I'd love to throw $2k at it, but I'd be playing it in the dog house instead of the living room.

FranklintonBill

Narrowed down to KM-272, Eastman 304, and Breedlove Crossover OO. Leaning towards the Kentucky...

Please avoid the Breedlove Crossover mandolins. They are not nearly as good as the Eastman & Kentucky mandolins. They have pressed top and back and they suffer for it. Your money will be better spent on a carved top and back mandolin like the Eastman or Kentucky.
    They are both well made and are easy to play. The Eastman is made more like an old Gibson A style with the fingerboard glued to the top of the mandolin. It sounds much more like the old teens Gibson oval, a bit dark if that means anything sonically, and some people like that. I preferred the Kentucky actually because it is made like a more modern instrument and has a bit crisper sound. I also like that it has larger modern fretwire and I like that the neck is longer and raised above the fretboard. Also, the tuning machines on the Kentucky 200 series are a step up from the hardware on the Eastman 300 series.
    Either way you go, they are both nice mandolins.

Just make sure you buy from a good dealer who will do a setup for you before it leaves their shop. The Mandolin Store, Elderly, Folkmusician, Fiddler's Green are some that come to mind

This looks like a great deal on the Kentucky KM-270 for $350 (which is the same mandolin as the KM-272 with a sunburst finish instead of natural finish)
    http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.co...m-270-sunburst

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestraveller View Post
    ....I’m really intrigued by the Big Muddy Mando Co. If a flattop oval interests you at all check out their website. Handmade in Rocheport, Missouri. Solid wood. And some models can be had for close to your aforementioned price range.
    IMO if you want a flat top, this is a great recommendation. Many players of much more expensive mandolins will keep a flat top around. I traded mine at one point, because I was strictly bluegrass at the time, but kind of regret it now that my tastes have evolved. I bought a rather expensive oval hole to fill that gap, which I totally love - so don’t feel bad for me LOL. Good luck
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I used to own this model Loar.

It would be a no brainer, for your budget and needs.

https://themandolinstore.com/product...tyle-mandolin/

Blog Entries

This sounds like fun-- a mandolin for Father's Day! Well, it would be great to be able to play the various options, but it is hard to be near a store like the Mandolin Store and others. Kentucky and Eastman are such solid options. A used Big Muddy (AKA Mid-Missouri) flattop is in your price range-- be sure it is the full scale version with the dovetail neck. Best wishes!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

FranklintonBill

Thank you all for the replies. I even got a couple private messages with suggestions. I took some advice, convinced my wife to spend a wee-bit more, and just ordered a new M11 from Big Muddy Mandolin Co. I am REALLY excited! I'll try to post a picture and/or video when he finishes building it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FranklintonBill For This Useful Post: