Default Vega cylinder back, Goodwilll

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/52804881

This is pretty. I'm guessing 1923?
    I love the back.

2. The following members say thank you to oinkstrings for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Vega cylinder back, Goodwilll

Cylinder backs are cool. This one is up to $579 now and 3+ days left to bid.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

===========

Damn, this kind of thing never shows up at my local Goodwill!

Sweeeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Damn, this kind of thing never shows up at my local Goodwill!

Sweeeeet!
    Mine's always full of cracked ashtrays and tube televisions. I'm moving to Indiana.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Just be wary of the Vega CB disease which is when the top warps due to the way the pickguard is glued on. It looks like this one is in good shape but hard to really tell from the photos. SGW is not the best for refunds or discounts but it depends on the particular store. Usually it is sold as-is, caveat emptor, etc. Check out the return policy on that page.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It's a Vega 205. Missing a couple of the ornate fretmarkers. The biggest problem is you can't tell if the neck is bowed, which would render it useless. The cant looks good, but no way of knowing if the braces are firm. The tailpiece looks askew, but it might just be on at a slight angle. It might be worth a venture if the price is right.
    Hard to tell what it would be worth in this soft market.
    Definitely older than 1919 (headstock shape), but I wouldn't hazard an exact year without seeing the serial number.

9. The following members say thank you to Dacraw54 for this post:

Wow! $1,778 for a questionable 205.

I'm always amazed when people spend real money at shopgoodwill. I guess that shows the power of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacraw54 View Post
    Wow! $1,778 for a questionable 205.
    That is about general retail for that mandolin, assuming it is in good structural shape with no issues. I wonder if anyone from here won it?

Photos really don't show too much of the condition though it looks decent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7739981775522on.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	167908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60786931775522on.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	167909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62917721775522on.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	167910  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78049861775522on.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	167911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82038051775522on.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	167912  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Does Goodwill offer a "trial" period and refund? Market price for an instrument with missing ornate fret-markers, no pics of the relief on the neck, no pics of the action, no mention of whether the braces are firm or the top might be warped or sinking? That's a lot of unknowns.

Well.....I was at one of our larger Goodwill stores and needed the restroom, the sign was above two large double swinging doors leading to the backroom, I went through the doors and saw another sign for the restroom at the end of the room. On the way there, I passed several huge rolling bins packed with "new arrivals" -- obviously, I was in the sorting room. I saw a guitar neck sticking up from on of the bins covered in clothes, vcr's, shoes, furniture, etc. Of course, I grabbed the guitar neck to see what it was attached to and suddenly in this empty room I was surrounded by 4 guys who looked like they just spent time in the shower room at San Quentin --arms folded across their chests. "Hey, YOU can't go through that stuff! It hasn't been sorted, yet!" I asked if they could find a manager to get me a price and the answer was again, "NO, it hasn't been sorted yet!" (like it was some great task requiring years of experience and expertise......) So, I left, but you can't blame me for trying. Looked like some cheap import, anyway.

So, my point, I can't imagine somewhere in the Goodwill organization that they actually have a proper vintage room with vintage experts, reference books, digital calipers, white gloves, etc......................

I think it is safe to say you are taking a big chance, IMHO. Sure, a 20-year old $200 electric with a bolt-on neck probably is a safe bet. A 100-year old acoustic instrument for almost $2 grand? You've got to be kidding!!!!!!!!

Try explaining to one of the guys from San Quentin that the action doesn't suit your playing style and would like to return for a prompt refund!

Does Goodwill offer a "trial" period and refund?
    The general policy for all the stores is that you are buying it as-is.
    Return Policy:

Merchandise is sold As Is. Returns will only be accepted with prior authorization and under the terms stated in this Return Policy. If you have questions regarding the quality or authenticity of this item please contact Goodwill Industries of Central Indiana prior to placing your bid. We will do our best to answer your ticket within 24 hours.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

nice looking. i love the tone of cylinder backs. this one looks very good to me but the bidding had left me in the dust. i'd have to play it in person to go that high unless it came from a very reputable dealer who gave great descriptions. i also prefer the maple back ones for tone. so this one is probably a great mandolin.

looking st it, my 205 has abalone inlay around the top binding and more ornate finger board inlay so this is probably twenties when they were cutting back on manufacturing costs as the market was sagging. still it is likely a great mandolin

Abalone around the top binding is usually only found on the 207. There are 2 currently in the Classifieds.

Abalone around the top binding is usually only found on the 207. There are 2 currently in the Classifieds.
    well who knew