Thread: More albums like Sutton, Holt, and Coleman: Ready For the Times..

Default More albums like Sutton, Holt, and Coleman: Ready For the Times..

I absolutely love the album "Ready For the Times to Get Better" by Sutton, Holt, and Coleman and would love to increase my library of similar albums.

I specifically enjoy the tempos, humor, and simplistic instrumentation but don't know where to look next for similar productions.

I am more than just interested for enjoyment purposes, I have a strong calling to create a similar performance group, but would appreciate hearing where others have gone before in a similar genre.

Any suggestions of recordings and videos would be most appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance you might offer.

Blessings,
    Rusty

Default Re: More albums like Sutton, Holt, and Coleman: Ready For the Tim

Wow, thought you guys would help if anyone would.

Doc Watson albums.
    Russ Jordan

Without listening to the album you reference, let me recommend that you look for music by the (unfortunately late) Double Decker String Band. I haven't heard another old-time-revival group that played such a variety of music, using a wide range of instruments, from various old-time traditions. Craig Johnson passed away (much too young), so the Double Deckers will never be again, but -- for example -- I played their cassette Evolution Girl hundreds of times, and I find that my 40-year-old college professor son has several cuts from that on his computer playlists.

They were truly eclectic in their selection of tunes, styles, instrumentation, and subject material, while staying within the old-time music tradition. Give them a listen, wherever you can find their recordings.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    I absolutely love the album "Ready For the Times to Get Better" by Sutton, Holt, and Coleman and would love to increase my library of similar albums.

I specifically enjoy the tempos, humor, and simplistic instrumentation but don't know where to look next for similar productions.

I am more than just interested for enjoyment purposes, I have a strong calling to create a similar performance group, but would appreciate hearing where others have gone before in a similar genre.

Blessings,
    Rusty
    "Songs from the mountain" Tim o'brien, dirk powell, John Herman
    "Hand me down" dirk powell

Newberry and Compton. Great stuff.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post

Blessings,
    Rusty
    Whoo. OK, that's kind of a several part question, but the exciting thing is that you have nourishing road ahead of you, as you find the music that speaks to you.

I am not familiar with that recording, but it looks to be a collection of traditional tunes. The cool thing is that if you just do a youtube search by the song title, you can find a huge volume of music, lots of which is by people who are still working today. I can't speak to creating a similar performance group as I have not heard the record, but as an example, Sutton, Holt and Coleman have a video up of Darling Corey. That is a very well known song, with lots of videos available. Watch a bunch, find the performance that is the direction you want to move, and then follow that breadcrumb to other performances by the same artists. Here are several Darling Corey's:

For Mandolin content, Chris Thile and Michael Daves:

Maybe you are looking for a more traditional bluegrass sound:

What about the origin of that "high, lonesome sound?" Maybe Roscoe Holcomb will fit the bill:

8. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

I can only post three links to videos at a time, so my message continues below:
    Maybe you are looking for a more contemporary type sound. I never heard of Amythyst Kia before I saw an announcement yesterday that she is performing near me. Powerful voice, and I will be listening to more. Most of her stuff seems to be more sort of modern Americana, but here is a nice solo banjo version of Darling Cora (note the title change):

Well established professionals play Darling Corey in their own style, which I do not know how to describe:

Maybe you really only want an tranc-ey instrumental version, by someone fairly early in their career:

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A 4 For This Useful Post:

If you start going to festivals looking for the music you seek, you will find that lots of great music is not happening on the stage:

So, now, let's say you like what is happening in that last video, so you start searching for other Riley Baugus tunes, and find Roustabout:

But that version of Roustabout comes from Fred Cockerham, so...off you go.

12. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

It is after all about the journey. Thank you so much for such a considerate posting A 4. Blessings