Thread: NMD Eastman 515

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default NMD Eastman 515

MAS started scratching as I was looking at some nice mid-late '70's MIJ axes. Comping the price points I got distracted by something shiny, namely the gold tops from Eastman and Kentucky. After a bit of research I spoke to a couple of Cafe members who are retailers. Both Robert Fear and Dennis Vance were gracious, helpful, and forthcoming. I am grateful to them both. The KY is rare, and the Eastman not really what I am looking for in an F-5 sound. Dennis gave me an early-in on the imminent sale and shipped the 515. I picked it up from FedEx this morning. Dennis' rep for awesome and friendly customer service is well deserved in my experience.

First, the new Eastman shaped cases are something. For instance, there is a cut-out for the lower treble point that I find smart. Certainly seems deep enough to accept a Tone Gard which will likely get ordered at some time.

Fit and finish are excellent; the couple small things I note are totally acceptable at this price point. I especially love the subtle maple back binding and the antique violin finish. It is an instantly classic visual aesthetic. Tuning up the instrument allowed me to appreciate the excellent feel and movement of the tuners.

Finally, there is the sound. This instrument already sounds great out of the box; you'd think it was a much more expensive instrument. I look forward to hearing what a whole bunch of hours of playing time will do to the woods and the tone. All in all, I am thrilled. This is a great sounding instrument at a great value with an excellent case, and enjoys Eastman's standard lifetime warranty. My MAS is now happily in remission.

UPDATE: Quick set with the preschool crowd in the sanctuary, and I am even happier. The neck is making my hand really happy, and the tone is even better than I heard the on the test spin.
    Last edited by Dave Greenspoon; May-18-2018 at 11:15am.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Greenspoon For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD Eastman 515

It is past the window for edits, so I'll comment here instead. I almost forgot to mention that in general the set up is exquisite, and the extra pair of EJ-74's is a lovely touch. WTG, The Mandolin Store.
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

4. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Sounds like you got a good one. I love my Eastman 615. I just got home from being in Florida for a while and the first thing I did was play the Eastman. I missed it and will have to find one for the Florida home.

6. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

Blog Entries

Can't beat that popular choice and the TMS sets 'em up great! Congrats!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    It is past the window for edits, so I'll comment here instead. I almost forgot to mention that in general the set up is exquisite, and the extra pair of EJ-74's is a lovely touch. WTG, The Mandolin Store.
    Can you post a photo of it? What are the gauges of the EJ74 ?.further are these light, medium or heavy and what pick are you using?Would be good to have an armrest on your Eastglory MD 515.

Tan

Thinking of one for myself right now! Seems like the best overall value in this price area and since I have a nice Eastman E20-SS guitar,I know it's going to be well made....Good luck

11. The following members say thank you to magictwanger for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman 515.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	167788
    Feel free to look up the gauges on the D'Addario website. They are medium strings. I use any number of picks, including ProPlec, Dawg II, Wegen M150, and assorted Dava picks. I am looking forward to getting the arm rest; I really like Doug Edwards and Hill Country Stringworks. Also, the Tone Gard is already ordered from Elderly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180518_125356.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	686.2 KB 
ID:	167787  
    Last edited by Dave Greenspoon; May-19-2018 at 5:44am.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Dave, congratulations on your new 515.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

14. The following members say thank you to Trav'linmando for this post: