Thread: Catch-Release-Catch Again

Default Catch-Release-Catch Again

Sooo, have any of you ever sold an instrument then bought it back again a couple of years later? I bought a Rigel CT-110 last month that I had sold three years ago.

Pete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5DE286E4-0630-44A1-BD82-D587D05A5CD9.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	435.7 KB 
ID:	167766
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Blog Entries

Default Re: Catch-Release-Catch Again

No but I've sure seen a few for sale around the Country at dealers and individuals, Yes sometimes their back advertised on the café.

Pete, I hope you did the re-purchase on purpose!

No, but I have sold instruments, regretted it badly later, and replaced them with identical instruments. Note that this is unfortunately plural.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

5. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

===========

Speaking of Rigel . . . the Catch-Release-Catch Again scenario has not happened to me, but in my wildest dreams it would happen.

Back in the very early 2000's, I believe it was Peter Mix who turned me on to a mandolin that Rigel was making at the time. It was to be their first white R-100, and it was going to be 'very special'. Pete sent me pictures all along the building process, and when it was all said and done, I purchased the mandolin from the old Folk-Of-The-Wood website. Needless to say, Peter was right - it was an amazing instrument . . . whenever I let others play it, they didn't want to give it back. Peter even wrote me a Letter of Authenticity to go with the mandolin. Unfortunately, within a few years, things went very financially sour for me, and I had to sell it.

Someday, I hope to find it again.

instruments, cars etc, have regretted selling a few items, never was able to buy anything back, tried replacing with a duplicate, not really the same thing though, so, not quite as satisfying. I gave up trying a long time ago, now, if that happens, I look for something I like more to quench the desire.

I’m king of that story lol...

9. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I've bought a few guitars back after selling them, one I told the guy if he ever wants to sell it let me know and I'd try to buy it back, well a few years pass and a friend said did you know Jerry was selling that guitar you sold him , I called him up and bought it back, he had no response on why he didn't let me know he was selling it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I've bought a few guitars back after selling them, one I told the guy if he ever wants to sell it let me know and I'd try to buy it back, well a few years pass and a friend said did you know Jerry was selling that guitar you sold him , I called him up and bought it back, he had no response on why he didn't let me know he was selling it
    I had a similar experience, from the buyer's viewpoint. A friend sold me a banjo 35 years ago and did mention to me if I ever wanted to sell it, to let him know and he would buy it back. After so much time passed and the fact that we lived in different cities by that point, combined with the fact that we had not stayed in touch, I just ended up selling it locally without trying to contact him, even though I remembered him saying that. Well, as "luck" would have it, a few years after that he ended up moving and playing in my friends band. I went to see them and sure enough, BEFORE HE EVEN SAID HELLO, he asked if I still had the banjo. I told him I had sold it -- well, instantly, he got so angry about it, yelling "I TOLD YOU TO CALL ME IF YOU EVER WANTED TO SELL IT, etc!" -- keep in mind having this reaction 35+ years later......secretly, I sure am glad somebody else ended up with it! He's great player, but an idiot, IMHO.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; May-18-2018 at 11:42am.

I'm fighting the urge to sell a mandolin that gets little play time...I know I'll regret it at some point in the future and want to avoid the heartache, but the $$ would ease the struggles now.
    Do some of you MC members have a never sell policy? Some of you all treat them like food...that was yummy what's for dinner tomorrow?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I'm fighting the urge to sell a mandolin that gets little play time...I know I'll regret it at some point in the future and want to avoid the heartache, but the $$ would ease the struggles now.
    Do some of you MC members have a never sell policy? Some of you all treat them like food...that was yummy what's for dinner tomorrow?
    For me, it was all about cash flow and priorities. I was single until well into middle age, lived in an apartment and had pretty much what ever I wanted, instrument-wise -- at least to own and play for a while. At the peak, I had about 130 instruments, mostly vintage, all at one time. Then, I met a nice lady, got married and bought a house -- and at that point the collection seemed selfish and also represented too much money tied up that could be used for other stuff. I kept a few favorites, of course, but over a couple years systematically tried to sell off the bulk for the going retail rate -- vintage guitar shows, eBay, etc. I had many of them so long that I did pretty well. Absolutely no regrets, my life is much happier now!

14. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Yes. And there are two I'm still trying to catch again - a Rigel Resonator and a Mix F4.

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Pete, I hope you did the re-purchase on purpose!
    I did buy it back on purpose. I saw the ad for it on the Cafe and then on Reverb. It had the serial number listed, so I knew it was my old Rigel. I resisted for about a month (do to an upcoming move to another state), but the force to reconnect with this mandolin was too great. I’m. Very happy that I gave in and that the mandolin was still available.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

I bought a Gibson ES-330TDN electric guitar (1 of 52) in 1960 (my rock/jazz days), got married had kids, sold it ib the mid 1970' to a young rock/blues player. He got married , had kids and needed to sell it so I bought it back (late 1980's). Kept it for a few years and then sold it to Jimmy C. well known blues player from Santa Barbara Calif. and now wish I still had it.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Not really a policy but I purchased carefully and don't have anything I want to sell. I have two guitars I wouldn't mind selling but there is no urgency or particular desire to sell, in fact there are two musically inclined youngsters at my church that I am hoping express an interest and I will give them the guitars.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    I did buy it back on purpose. . . . I knew it was my old Rigel. . . . but the force to reconnect with this mandolin was too great. I’m. Very happy that I gave in and that the mandolin was still available.
    So I assume that the Rigel was well cared for and was just as you remembered it? I have this horrible fear that if I ever find my old Rigel it will have been somehow ruined by a subsequent owner, and my daydreams will be shattered.

I thought the OP was talking about catching, releasing and catching the same FISH which I have done quite a few times...I hooked a nice size bass one day on a plastic worm and he got tangled up in some tree roots and my line broke so I re rigged and in a few minutes I caught him for real and got my lure back...

Sorry to get off of the subject...

Willie

21. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post: