Thread: Anyone recognize these names?

Richard J.

Carlo DeFillippis...Frank Fazio...G. Vacari...Have any recordings???
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

Quote Originally Posted by (flairbzzt @ Sep. 10 2004, 21:20)
    Carlo DeFillippis...Frank Fazio...G. Vacari...Have any recordings???
    Frank Fazio was mainly a banjo player and Giovanni Vicari was a mandolinist, banjoist and guitarist. The other folks to look out for are Bernado De Pace and Giovanni Giovale. These guys all appear on a great reissue of Italian tunes, Italian String Virtuosi, on Rounder. This is not strictly classical but more brow Ballo Liscio with some vaudeville thrown in.

These same guys also appear on a couple of other reissues: L'Appuntamento and Speranze Perdute aboth on Global Village Records.

The above are all reissues of 78s so YMMV as far as sound quality. Some of the performances are incredible, among the best being Giovale, my favorite.

I am not familiar with Carlo DeFillippis: was he a mandolinist?

What recordings do you have of these folks?

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Richard J.

Carlo De Fillippis was indeed a mandolinist. I only know of one 33rpm album of his ,and there are several 78rpm recordings. He was a local to we Jerseyans and I believe is credited with starting the Bloomfield Mandolin Orchestra many years ago. My dad used to go there to see him perform regularly.
    I have recordings of Tre veglia y sonno (sp?) and a favorite, Migliavacca (sp again?)as well as others. I just got them onto cd two days ago. I'll send them to you as soon as I can figure out how to do that!

Richard J.

Carlo Defillippis also appeared on lp's with Dick Dia and his orchestra, which also included Dave Apollon on mando and Al Ciaola on guitar. BTW, do you know what Dick Dia used to play? It was some kind of blonde uneven two pointer with rectangular fretboard inlays. My dad says it was a Gibson, but i can't find evidence of any...

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Dia played a D'Angelico two point offset.

George

Quote Originally Posted by (flairbzzt @ Sep. 10 2004, 22:15)
    Carlo De Fillippis was indeed a mandolinist. I only know of one 33rpm album of his ,and there are several 78rpm recordings. He was a local to we Jerseyans and I believe is credited with starting the Bloomfield Mandolin Orchestra #many years ago. My dad used to go there to see him perform regularly.
    #I have recordings of Tre veglia y sonno (sp?) and a favorite, Migliavacca (sp again?)as well as others. I just got them onto cd two days ago. I'll send them to you as soon as I can figure out how to do that!
    The Bloomfield Mandolin Orchestra is still in existence and I would imagine that there are members who knew or have more info about him. Sounds like you know more than most folks already. What else are you interested in knowing about him?

Tra Veglia e Sonno and Migliavacca are two pretty well know Italian compositions. I believe Migliavacca is part of a larger concert piece by Arienzo. Tra Veglia is a std mazurka by Luigi Canora. Vicari played and recorded Migliavacca.

Funny story is that Barry Mitterhoff was playing a concert in Westchester one time and played Migliavacca. An elderly woman came up to him after the concert and told him that her husband used to play that piece. She was Mrs. Vicari.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone recognize these names?

well, better late than never. Augusto Migliavacca (1839-1901) composed "Migliavacca" mazurka. Vincenzo (Vicente) Arienzo arranged it and is often mistakenly given credit for composing it, along with a dozen + arrangements by Italian mando and accordion players.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: