Thread: K1 mandocello bridge, 2 types?

Default K1 mandocello bridge, 2 types?

Can anyone tell me which type is correct for newly acquired K1? I don't know the year, ...serial #9734. (So I guess I'm also asking what year she is too.)

I assume the compensated is preferred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920_gibson_k-1_bridge_complete.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	167739

Name:	Mando02.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	167740

Default Re: K1 mandocello bridge, 2 types?

First of all, I don't know the answer, but here is some info.

-Both are compensated. The upper picture shows a bridge with the compensation cut into the top, the second shows a bridge that has inserts for each string pair, and thus is compensated.
    -Gibson used both types of bridge on mandolins, depending upon year. I suspect the same might be true for mandocellos.
    -The only K1 that I've had in the shop and that I took pictures of has the second type of bridge; the type with the inserts. As I said, however, it may depend upon year.
    -You could use either type of bridge, or you could use an adjustable bridge. It can always be changed to the original type later if that is important to you.
    -For the year, simply go to the mandolin archive (click here) and search your serial number.

Thanks you John! I thought the insert in the photo was all that remained of a single, full length piece.

The one with inserts is ebony/ebony?

Thanks again.

The (mandolin) ones I've seen (and the one replica I made) are ebony/ebony.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

AndyV 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Can anyone tell me which type is correct for newly acquired K1? I don't know the year, ...serial #9734. (So I guess I'm also asking what year she is too.)

I assume the compensated is preferred.
    Hello. I expect that with that serial number you are looking at a 1910 mandocello? (assuming you have a serial number not a factory order number?).

I had a 1907 K-1 years ago (serial# 8220) and it had a bridge like the upper one in your two photos (see pic). It was carved so as to provide compensation. I think that I have also seen early K-1s with the component bridges like the lower one you show. So either might be appropriate? Later of course after 1921 mandocello has a two piece base/saddle arrangement that looked exactly like a 3 - 4 X mandolin bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1907 K-1 bridge.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	168049  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

The ones in the pix are pre Loar era, they went to adjustable mandolin type bridges during his time at Gibson, I have an original 24 Cello bridge and guard with side clamp in the classifieds for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Hello. I expect that with that serial number you are looking at a 1910 mandocello? (assuming you have a serial number not a factory order number?).

I had a 1907 K-1 years ago (serial# 8220) and it had a bridge like the upper one in your two photos (see pic). It was carved so as to provide compensation. I think that I have also seen early K-1s with the component bridges like the lower one you show. So either might be appropriate? Later of course after 1921 mandocello has a two piece base/saddle arrangement that looked exactly like a 3 - 4 X mandolin bridge.
    How can I tell if it's a serial # or a FON? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    How can I tell if it's a serial # or a FON? Thanks.
    If it is on the paper label it is a serial number. If it is inked stamped on the wood inside (like at the head block) it is a factory order number. I'm guessing your is penciled on the label so it's a serial. Can you post a pic of the label?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Teacher, repair person

The bridges with the removable ebony inserts are the earlier style. The transition to the "1 piece" bridges, which are really two pieces glued together [look one over carefully and you will see the glue line], occurred gradually around 1914 to 1916.

It is not unusual for an earlier instrument to have a later bridge. Bridges are easy to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    If it is on the paper label it is a serial number. If it is inked stamped on the wood inside (like at the head block) it is a factory order number. I'm guessing your is penciled on the label so it's a serial. Can you post a pic of the label?

Name:	20180520_205716 (1).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	417.2 KB 
ID:	168058[ATTACH=CONFIG]

Just yesterday I deleted a pic of the FON from my phone. I thought it was some sort of stock/batch number from the piece of wood. It looks like 1035 or maybe 1085. Does that make sence?

Thanks

Teacher, repair person

That instrument was made in 1910 [going by Spann's numbers], and would definitely have been shipped with the earlier type of bridge with removable inserts.

14. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

AndyV 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    That instrument was made in 1910 [going by Spann's numbers], and would definitely have been shipped with the earlier type of bridge with removable inserts.
    As noted in post #6!
    Bernie
    ____

16. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

AndyV