Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid bodied mandolins

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Solid bodied mandolins

I know they don’t get a lot of love round here but I’m wondering how many here play or at least own one. I’ve been considering for some years writing a small book on the subject it would include a little history, starting with Bigsby, and moving through to the present day, playing tips, and how to set up an amplifier etc. probably some basic chords and scales but there are many great books already covering the music as such. I’d also look at the various permutations - 4, 5 and 8 strings, etc. and a chapter on effects - overdrive, wah, etc etc.

I know I won’t retire on the proceeds but would there be an Interest in such a book? (Or has one been done recently and I’ve missed it?).

Thanks in advance.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Lewis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Solid bodied mandolins

I've had hundreds of 'em. You need to talk about Osmar Macedo and Jim Harvey before you you talk about Bigsby.

I haven't really had the energy or focus to put all my research into a book, but I'll help you develop yours if you like.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

4. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Wow! Thanks. I’d love that. It is a slow project. So

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    I know they don’t get a lot of love round here...
    Sure they do, there is a whole section devoted to them. Since you posted this in the General Mandolin section, perhaps you are unaware:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/f...ring-Electrics

There's the Richard Thompson/Niles Hokkanen book, but it is both out of date (35 years) and long out of print:
    https://www.antiqbook.com/boox/paw/1010306.shtml

7. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

I don't know much about history, but I own (and love) an electric baritone mando (5 string octave). Your book project sounds interesting to me, let me know when I can help with anything.
    Last edited by Martin Ohrt; May-07-2018 at 4:36pm. Reason: Spelling
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

9. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Sure, there's bound to be a market. Be sure to check out Joel Eckhaus's solid-bodies at www.earnestinstruments.com.

Barry Mitterhoff has one of his traditional mandos, and Eddy Veder and Bruce Springsteen have a couple of his ukes, featured a few years ago in Fretboard Journal.

11. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Like most things, solid body electrics could stand more love. I have a 4 and a 5 string. I think they are quite cool, but I'm lusting for a 5 string hollow body, but constrained by $.

You might want to look at electric Rickenbackers, I think they predate Bigsby.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

13. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I have one made by a local luthier, the late Mac McCormick. I change the pickup to a Fender-type made for me by Seymour-Duncan. Mac specialized in guitars but he did make 3 mandolins. I have two of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MacMando6.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	167484

Name:	MacMando3.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	167485

Name:	MacMando8.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	167486
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have one made buy Luigi Mancuso, better known as Lou Mancuso from new York he mainly made guitars but he did make a few mandolins, I have one of his solid bodies, it might be his only one , if you want photos or anything else let me know
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I think they are very cool, and I would think a blast to play. I've been intriqued with them for the last few years.
    I would buy your book for sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJ6-jH1mbs

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Thank you all. Thank you all. I will be in touch.

I’ve aleeady started the maintenance chapter. And the using Amps and effects chapter.

Thank you for all that. I am aware of the book, and I’d love to see a copy. I felt it was time for an upgrade, given the explosion in effects, and digital technology, plus the hundreds of more mandolins made since then.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

Mandobird IV! Don't play it a ton, but am really glad I have it when I need it
    Chuck

22. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Simon Mayor has an electric mandolin made by Martin Cole. He mentions it in this article, and theres a photo of him playing it in the top right of the article.

http://www.mandolin.org.uk/interviews/simon_mayor.php

24. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

You know the cool guy in the middle of the mall that sells toy helicopters?
    Well this fellow made the Telemando look and sound so cool and so easy I had to get one.

Tony Rothrock plays Cherokee Shuffle

Don't forget to mention, you're on your own when it comes to strings. I think I cannibalized a set or two of D'Addario electric light strings. What will work are many. What is optimum?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Seems to me your subject is really electric mandolins, not only solid-body. Certainly in guitar world there are so many versions it would make sense to consider a book on only solid-body styles, but there are a number of semi-hollow dedicated electric mandolins that were either production models or custom. (Gibson, among others.)

And if there are 5-string styles, there should be 10-strings of course. The groups should be--- 4/8, 5/10, and solid/semi-hollow/hollow. While there are several production models of solid and semi-hollow electric mandolins, I don't think there is a regular model hollow, although Arrow may be. Ryder makes a couple of regular models that are semi hollow, and a line of solids. I have a solid Ryder and a custom solid Almuse.

There do not seem to be any regular production 10-string electrics, although there are a couple of makers of acoustic 10-strings which have a regular model (Tercio Ribeiro, Thomas Buchanan).

A question worth looking at is how electrics are used, the playing style. Electric guitar calls for different playing, and the styles are multiple---jazz, rock, country, and thrash metal all utilize technique that is not the same as that used for steel-string or nylon-string acoustic guitar. Amps and effects are secondary to the role the player is taking on, and that role calls for certain techniques.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

28. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

I have an early 1960's Gibson EM-200 (Florentine). it is an 8-string—I don't think Gibson ever made a 4 or 5 string back then. I did own a Roberts Tiny Moore 5-string—not sure that is solid-body. I have a 1930's Gibson EM-150 which sounds great but is a hollow body.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

30. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My current e-mando has been commandeered by the boy. Not that I'm complaining, he's ripping it up!

I'm going to let him keep it and pickup a sweet Mann 5 string. Played a great one at Carter's a few months ago.

I'll probably have to get a new set of pedals too. He's really not going to let those go either. He's making his own loops using the octave pedal for his bass lines, and then shredding all over them with the Danelectro Fab Tone.

Looking forward to reading your stuff.
    Last edited by colorado_al; May-11-2018 at 12:48pm.

32. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

A Modified A50 as an EM150, 4 string conversion to CGDA is a nice sound..

it is a different tone than the 4 string solid body I have,

also in the same CGDA tuning..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    You might want to look at electric Rickenbackers, I think they predate Bigsby.
    True enough, Rickenbacher was making Electro mandolins in the 1930s, although the solidbody Ricks didn't come along until 1958.

All of this information is already at Emando.com, although it is scattered across hundreds of individual pages. Having it in book form would make it accessible in a different way to readers who don't want to click through the entire site.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

35. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hi David, sounds like you're onto another interesting project for sure.

An aside (hollow vs. semi-hollow vs. solid bodies): Converting a hollow body to a solid body looks pretty easy, to hear J. J. Cale talk about it:

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

37. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Technically this is semi-acoustic, but you know. Potato-Schmergel Devastator. I basically play nothing else since I finished this.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magnus Geijer For This Useful Post:

My only mandolin (At least so far) is he one in my avatar---an Epi Mandobird VIII
    Found a used one for a great price & couldn't turn i down...

I love it...

As for the book--sure I wouldn't mind checking out a book like that if one was written & not $500 like the one linked above...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Seems to me your subject is really electric mandolins, not only solid-body. Certainly in guitar world there are so many versions it would make sense to consider a book on only solid-body styles, but there are a number of semi-hollow dedicated electric mandolins that were either production models or custom. (Gibson, among others.)

And if there are 5-string styles, there should be 10-strings of course. The groups should be--- 4/8, 5/10, and solid/semi-hollow/hollow. While there are several production models of solid and semi-hollow electric mandolins, I don't think there is a regular model hollow, although Arrow may be. Ryder makes a couple of regular models that are semi hollow, and a line of solids. I have a solid Ryder and a custom solid Almuse.

There do not seem to be any regular production 10-string electrics, although there are a couple of makers of acoustic 10-strings which have a regular model (Tercio Ribeiro, Thomas Buchanan).

A question worth looking at is how electrics are used, the playing style. Electric guitar calls for different playing, and the styles are multiple---jazz, rock, country, and thrash metal all utilize technique that is not the same as that used for steel-string or nylon-string acoustic guitar. Amps and effects are secondary to the role the player is taking on, and that role calls for certain techniques.
    My two 'rules' about playing solidbody mando - it’s not a little guitar, and it’s not an acoustic mandolin.

There is, of course, a crossover, but ultimately it’s its own instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by zedmando View Post
    My only mandolin (At least so far) is he one in my avatar---an Epi Mandobird VIII
    Found a used one for a great price & couldn't turn i down...

I love it...

As for the book--sure I wouldn't mind checking out a book like that if one was written & not $500 like the one linked above...
    I’m hoping to come in a bit under $500.

43. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post: