Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wrong

Default The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wrong

An interesting story of how 'A' became 440 Hz and why many people believe it should be 432 Hz. The change really does change how music sounds.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194106/4...spiracy-music/
    Flatiron 2MW
    Eastman 615

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjcrawford For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wron

This is more of that A440 is Nazi evil BS that has been posted on music forums for some years now.

I have posted on many forums refuting these bogus claims about pitch.

No pitch is cosmically "better" than another and the Nazis had nothing to do with A440.

Do some serious research and you'll see that all these claims about some lower pitch being more spiritual or something are just snake oil.

from my other forum posts

Sorry guys this is well-intended bull****. Pitch has never had any special standard based on any "universal" issues. I've seen this article before, and it is just not true.

Even if you try to rationalize universal vibrations into some pitch reference, there is no one standard pitch to which everything resonates.

Cousto in "The Cosmic Octave" ISBN 0-940795-04-3, 1987, takes all sorts of planetary vibrations and by octave transposition figures out the pitch.

So, according to him, there are several pitches at which one can claim cosmic harmony; A435 is CLOSE to one of them based on the average solar day, 435.92; the sidereal day is A437.11, and so on. The "tone of Venus" is A442.457, while the moon is A445.86.

Plus there is a list of tuning sources from european history, and as many are ABOVE A440 and are below, and there was little standardization.

Don't let that article scare you.

The Ancient Temples Were Designed for 110 Hz Chanting + The Musical Scale Conspiracy (440 Hz Vs. 432, page 1

"It has been recently discovered that the Ancient temples were designed for 110 Hz chanting. The oldest temples examined by experts are about 6,000 years old. "

100...220....440.....so what's the problem - chant away!

Ancient chanting influenced temple designs

"In subsequent OTSF testing, stone rooms in ancient temples in Malta were found to match the same pattern of resonance, registering at the frequency of 110 or 111 hz. This turns out to be a significant level
    for the human brain. Whether it was deliberate or not, the people who spent time in such an environment were exposing themselves to vibrations that impacted their minds."

"Findings indicated that at 110 hz the patterns of activity over the prefrontal cortex abruptly shifted, resulting in a relative deactivation of the language center and a temporary switching from left to right-sided dominance related to emotional processing. People regularly exposed to resonant sound in the frequency of 110 or 111 hz would have been "turning on" an area of the brain that bio-behavioral scientists believe relates to mood, empathy and social behavior."​

and so on

4. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

As said above total crap that has been debunked for a long time. You can tune to any pitch you want but if you want to play with other people a standard is useful.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

David,,,so if I wanted to turn on my brain,what note on the mandolin is 110 or 111hz?....

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    David,,,so if I wanted to turn on my brain,what note on the mandolin is 110 or 111hz?....
    Can't do it on a mandolin, it's too low. The 110 Hz note is A2, the second to lowest open string on a guitar. You could do it on an octave mandolin, second fret on the low G string.

Knock yourself out.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Western culture and indeed, mankind as a whole in some respects, has already had the centuries of religious, scientific and musicological struggle to get to the point of standardization on 12-TETT, and many of our cultures (not all) have now begun to standardize concert pitch at A440 Hertz.

I find studying the history to be enlightening, but listening to the current conspiracy theories is just boring.

As noted in a few other recent threads about different topics, people will always resist standardization in anything. I think it may be a testament to the fact that each person is unique in his or her thought processes. And I would further tend to believe that a number of folk will not only resist standardization, but irrationally fear it to the point of believing crazy theories that argue against whatever is the current norm.

Maybe they need to find a secluded place to chant a mantra at 110 Hz for awhile, and lighten up. Modern tuners allow you to calibrate the concert pitch to various frequencies, so if you don't like 440, change your tuning and play solo. What a marvelous age we're in.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Modern tuners allow you to calibrate the concert pitch to various frequencies, so if you don't like 440, change your tuning and play solo. What a marvelous age we're in.
    Great advice!

A440 is for playing with other musicians!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Can't do it on a mandolin, it's too low. The 110 Hz note is A2, the second to lowest open string on a guitar. You could do it on an octave mandolin, second fret on the low G string.

Knock yourself out.
    Any A will do on the mandolin, but I assume you have to play it over and over, sort of like the story about Mullah Nasruddin and his robab.
    Seriously, I included that part of the response to deal with the "spiritual" aspects.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Sometimes I fight back against A 440 Hz. I swap in the A 415 Hz tuning slide on my ancient trombone and go for Baroque.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacob For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I like that, sometimes you just gotta go for Baroque
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pjcrawford View Post
    The change really does change how music sounds.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194106/4...spiracy-music/
    The 2 Coldplay videos shown there for comparison both succeed in making me feel anger and aggression, because the singer practises the same three notes over and over and still never arrives at proper intonation Nothing new or mysterious revealed there.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

12 post and nobody mentions the brown note. !?!?!?!?

25. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

12 posts trying not to escalate

27. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    12 posts trying not to escalate
    Think that went wrong when someone mentioned Coldplay

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    12 post and nobody mentions the brown note. !?!?!?!?
    Mandolin doesn't go low enough for that one either. Hard to pull off on a purely acoustic instrument too, although maybe you could hit it on a sub-contrabass flute:

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Interested parties should read the Wikipedia article on how we converged on the A = 440 Hz (ISO 16) standard, found by clicking here. See also this, to learn more.

The whole 432 Hz thing is a whack-a-mole conspiracy theory, for folks with the tinfoil hats. This has about as much credibility as the flat earth theory. No, it does not impart healing benefits. No, it does not have cosmic resonance or universal harmony (whatever that means). No, the Nazis are not responsible for our use of A = 440Hz. No, it does not relate in any way to the Golden Ratio (which happens to be an irrational number, whereas 432Hz is an integer frequency). No, it is not some integral multiple of the Schummann resonances (lightning-induced earth resonances), which have too broad a frequency spectrum to be meaningful (moreover, even the central Schumann frequency of 7.83Hz, multiplied up, gives 430.6 Hz, not 432). No, not all ancient instruments (or more modern Tibetan bowls) are tuned to some multiple of 432 Hz -- just some cherry-picked examples that happen to be close. Most aren't. And no, no theory of music favors it at all: music theory is based on pitch RELATIONS (that is, relative pitches, or frequency ratios), not on absolute pitches. No, Mozart did not use a personal tuning of 432 Hz for his music (In fact, Mozart's piano, likely tuned by Stein in Vienna, was based on a fork from 1780 with the pitch A = 421.6 Hz). Neither did Verdi or Hayden use 432 Hz -- all bogus "facts."

A = 432 Hz has no more, or less, significance than A = 440 Hz. Furthermore, there is no particular reason to pick the "A" note to standardize upon, in the first place! We could have collectively chosen a middle C note to standardize upon, or any other note we chose, as a basis. In fact "scientific pitch," a.k.a. Sauveur pitch or philosophical pitch, sets C=256Hz, as a convenient power of two. This standard would give A = 430.5Hz, and it dates back to 1713. A lot of physics class demonstration tuning forks have C=256 Hz, by the way.

Please don't believe all the BS you read on the internet.
    Last edited by sblock; May-14-2018 at 1:45pm.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Mandolin doesn't go low enough for that one either. Hard to pull off on a purely acoustic instrument too, although maybe you could hit it on a sub-contrabass flute:

The Brown Note instrument development is top secret in The Pentagon...

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Furthermore, there is no particular reason to pick the "A" note to standardize upon, in the first place! We could have collectively chosen a middle C note to standardize upon, or any other note we chose, as a basis.
    Well, at least it's the first note of the alphabet. What kind of weirdo system chooses an A natural minor scale as its easiest-to-write scale and then has everybody start with the third mode of it?

36. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    Well, at least it's the first note of the alphabet. What kind of weirdo system chooses an A natural minor scale as its easiest-to-write scale and then has everybody start with the third mode of it?
    Because it is the white keys on a piano.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Because it is the white keys on a piano.
    Yup. White keys. But we could have started with middle C and also used just the white keys. Or with any other letter of the alphabet from A to G, and used whatever the piano gave starting with that. Don't forget that the A reference pitch is just a single tone! It's not being used to define any scale or mode, when used in this context (i.e., it is not suggesting anything like "A natural minor"). So it's not "weirdo" in that sense. But it is musically arbitrary, and chosen for convenience as a standard.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

. In fact "scientific pitch," a.k.a. Sauveur pitch or philosophical pitch, sets C=256Hz, as a convenient power of two. This standard would give A = 430.5Hz, and it dates back to 1713. A lot of physics class demonstration tuning forks have C=256 Hz, by the way.
    A=430.5 Hz. That's mighty close to the Schumann Resonance frequency multiplied up to 430.6 Hz. Science, philosophy, physics, math, 430.5 or 6, converging... Dang, I'm starting to see mystical connections...
    Last edited by Tom Haywood; May-14-2018 at 4:16pm.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Don't forget that the A reference pitch is just a single tone! It's not being used to define any scale or mode, when used in this context (i.e., it is not suggesting anything like "A natural minor"). So it's not "weirdo" in that sense.
    I still think it's a "weirdo" fluke of history that the pitch we use for reference isn't the Do (C) at the center of Western harmony, regardless of Hz. I assume countries that use the Roman letter system had a big influence on this, or maybe the second string of the violin?

42. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

I still think it's a "weirdo" fluke of history that the pitch we use for reference isn't the Do (C) at the center of Western harmony, regardless of Hz. I assume countries that use the Roman letter system had a big influence on this, or maybe the second string of the violin?
    It's also an open string on the viola and cello. There are C strings on viola and cello, but the A string is common across all three instruments.

Also, an orchestra tunes to an "A" from the oboe, because (Wiki source) "According to the League of American Orchestras, this is done because the pitch is secure and its penetrating sound makes it ideal for tuning." I'm not sure what "secure" means in that context. It might just mean it's more stable than the C note near the bottom of the range for oboe. The notes at the bottom end of the natural range for wind instruments are often a bit wonky, compared to the middle of the range.

44. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Yup. White keys. But we could have started with middle C and also used just the white keys.
    The terminology is sort of arbitrary.

But when you do start with middle C as the MAJOR scale, and those are the white keys on a keyboard, then the natural minor scale has to be from A.

That's how the diatonic "church" modes work.

The patterns are the same in any tonal center.

- - - Updated - - -

DO was moveable - it could be sung at any pitch.

46. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: