Thread: Jazz Picks

Default Jazz Picks

What makes Prime Tone Jazz picks—Jazz Picks?

I bought some 1.4s just to check ‘em out, and I really like ‘em. I’m only a Low Intermediate mandolin player at best, but they really feel right to me. I’ve been having a bit of trouble finding a comfortable grip with regular picks. I like plnching them between my index finger and thumb best, and the Jazzes fit the bill.

Anyone else use ‘em? Only Jazz players? The pinch grip bad?

Default Re: Jazz Picks

"What makes Prime Tone Jazz picks—Jazz Picks?"

Only when someone uses them to play jazz.

I play jazz with the same picks I use all the time, the standard extra-pointed shape Ultem/ultex picks.

I think Prime Tone picks are made by Dunlop....But I have been wrong before, may times...

Ooops, I mis read the post...never mind...

Willie

4. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Dave Sheets

The name Jazz picks just refers to a specific style and shape of pick, there is a wide range of pick shapes and styles out there. Jazz Picks are often popular with jazz guitarists, but there's no hard and fast rule. It's really a matter of personal preference, but also how your mandolin sounds with a specific pick. It is worth trying a bunch of different picks to see what sounds best, it makes a surprising difference. There is a traveling pick sampler on this forum you can sign up for.

There have been a number of discussions on Mandolin Cafe on pick grips, if you look at youtube and type in "mandolin pick grip", it will bring up a bunch of videos discussing the issues related to pick grips, which may give you some ideas, or at least show you some options.

Playing fast and avoiding injuries requires that you stay loose and not tense up. If you have to really squeeze hard to hang onto the pick, you probably should consider changing the grip to avoid injuries, but otherwise there seem to be a lot of viable approaches to pick grips.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

6. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Thanks, sheets, I just wondered about the “Jazz”.

I’m pretty happy with Jim Dunlop’s picks and mostly use Prime Tones for my Mando-Banjo, but I’m still experimenting with sizes. I use his .60mm Nylons for my Irish Tenor.

Pointy and small .. Jazz Guitar is a bigger market..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

9. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

The Dunlop Jazz shape is just the name they gave the smaller sharp-pointed pick shape. They're probably more popular with shred guitarists than any other pick users. I find sharp points ok for single note playing but not so great for chords and tremolo playing. But picks are one of those things where you just keep trying them until you find what works best for you. What I like about a pick has changed over time and seems to feel like a never-ending quest for the perfect pick.

11. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    The Dunlop Jazz shape is just the name they gave the smaller sharp-pointed pick shape. They're probably more popular with shred guitarists than any other pick users. I find sharp points ok for single note playing but not so great for chords and tremolo playing. But picks are one of those things where you just keep trying them until you find what works best for you. What I like about a pick has changed over time and seems to feel like a never-ending quest for the perfect pick.
    What you say tends to match my experience with these little thick pointy picks.

After that quest for the perfect picks, I'm back to the standard guitar pick shape for almost all my instruments (not Gypsy jazz guitar), maybe the extra sharp pointy versions.

13. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

bradeasley, I mostly play single note, Irish and Italian, on my mando-banjo, and I use as few chords as possible. I tried and tried to learn a bunch of chords, but my poor, ol’ brain had lots of trouble memorizin’ ‘em. Then I just gave up tryin’. Now I’m stickin’ to Irish, Italian and clawhammer banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
    bradeasley, I mostly play single note, Irish and Italian, on my mando-banjo, and I use as few chords as possible. I tried and tried to learn a bunch of chords, but my poor, ol’ brain had lots of trouble memorizin’ ‘em. Then I just gave up tryin’. Now I’m stickin’ to Irish, Italian and clawhammer banjo.
    When you play Italian music, try adding in some simple chords or even just double stops to the melody line, even if it's just when the fingerings are easy - the music is very suitable for such treatment, and you'll find it may assist your chord work.

16. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Yes, DavidKOS, I can play and remember chords, but not as many as I’d need to play some of the other banjo/mandolin styles. I do add some in my playing though. I played wind instruments in my 70 year music background, and never did much with chords.

I’m just fingerpicking Italian tunes while I’m working on my tremolo. It’s loud but a lotta fun.

18. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

If you're playing Italian music and working on your tremolo, I'd suggest at least trying out some picks with a rounder point. Not necessarily full on round, but a softer point than a jazz. I can't get a great tremolo with a sharp point myself. I'm not an expert, but a rounder point seems to move across the strings smoother allowing me to create a steady tremolo sound, whereas a sharp point feels like it's grabbing the strings more and making a rougher tremolo. YMMV

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradeasley For This Useful Post:

Yes, bradeasley, I agree. I have some Prime Tone 1.3mm and 1.5mm semi-round, sculpted picks and a coupla no-namers. I also sometimes use the rounded part of other sizes. My tremelo is slowly improving. I hope I get good at it before the neighbors run me outta here.

I would like a bowl bottom mandolin some day. There’s a nice one at my favorite music store, but it’s a bit pricey for now.

Pickboy makes a very nice rounded jazz pick that I like to use for mandolin:
    http://www.osiamo.com/PB322P100

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blues Healer For This Useful Post:

If you're playing Italian music and working on your tremolo, I'd suggest at least trying out some picks with a rounder point. Not necessarily full on round, but a softer point than a jazz. I can't get a great tremolo with a sharp point myself. I'm not an expert, but a rounder point seems to move across the strings smoother allowing me to create a steady tremolo sound, whereas a sharp point feels like it's grabbing the strings more and making a rougher tremolo. YMMV
    Oddly enough, I think the opposite.

The rounder the point of your pick, there is less of a "pluck" and more of a "glide" as you strike the strings. That pluck is sort of like a jack on a harpsichord - it is a very direct and precise pick attack.

A good tremolo needs to pluck the strings very precisely and a small tip allows for that.

In not exactly an "expert" either but I've been playing Italian music since I was a teenager and have a decently even, expressive, and fast tremolo.

It seems counterintuitive, but going to a rounder pick is not going to get you a good Italian tone.

http://www.music4company.com/index.p...oducts_id=6120

https://www.dogalstrings.it/it/plettri

typical Italian "plettro mandolino" mandolin picks

25. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Healer View Post
    Pickboy makes a very nice rounded jazz pick that I like to use for mandolin:
    http://www.osiamo.com/PB322P100
    That's good

but I like this one better from Pickboy:

http://www.osiamo.com/PBMS1P

But mostly I use those sharp standard size picks.

The Dunlop Jazz shape is just the name they gave the smaller sharp-pointed pick shape. They're probably more popular with shred guitarists than any other pick users.
    This has been my experience too. Despite the name, they aren't especially popular among jazz guitarists in my experience. Jazz guitar players use every shape under the sun, but the Jazz III seems to be one of the least common. The closest thing to it is a fair amount of gypsy jazz guitarists (inspired by Stochelo Rosenberg in most cases) using the similarly sized teardrop shapes out there made by Wegen, etc. Metal/shred guitarists, on the other hand, can't get enough of them. I don't think I've ever met a metal guitarist who didn't have a large collection of Dunlop Jazz III picks :~)
    Owner of emlpicks.com

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EricLopez For This Useful Post:

It’s not so much the shape of the PT Jazzes; it’s the size, and that it’s sculpted too. It really works well with the “pinch” grip that I always end up usin’. I’ve tried to get comfortable with the grip that they show in books and videos, but, somehow, I end up with the pinch grip. Maybe “it is written . . .”

Quote Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
    It’s not so much the shape of the PT Jazzes; it’s the size, and that it’s sculpted too. It really works well with the “pinch” grip that I always end up usin’. I’ve tried to get comfortable with the grip that they show in books and videos, but, somehow, I end up with the pinch grip. Maybe “it is written . . .”
    Many older mandolin books show a pick grip somewhat closer to the "pinch grip" than to the closed fist grip.

notice the range of pick grips.

All are considered acceptable....but this was for old style mandolins. Like bowl backs with short scales, light strings, lower tension than the Gibson style instruments most people use.

31. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

DavidKOS - I'll defer to your experience with Italian music and pointy pick tremolo. My comments were coming more from the bluegrass perspective, and I should have mentioned that. I personally have been using a BC TP50 for some time, and very recently a similarly shaped, although slightly pointier tip, EML small triangle (thanks, Eric!). Tremolo feels very different for me with even a slightly sharper tip. I think I have some Dunlop Ultex Jazz III that I may experiment with just to see how it feels.

33. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

DavidKOS - I'll defer to your experience with Italian music and pointy pick tremolo. My comments were coming more from the bluegrass perspective, and I should have mentioned that. I personally have been using a BC TP50 for some time, and very recently a similarly shaped, although slightly pointier tip, EML small triangle (thanks, Eric!). Tremolo feels very different for me with even a slightly sharper tip. I think I have some Dunlop Ultex Jazz III that I may experiment with just to see how it feels.
    Thanks, and that makes a lot of sense as it seems to be a lot of differences in what most BG and "Americana" mandolin players do and what I was taught to do as an Italian-school player.

I do hope that my post about the various traditional mandolin pick grips was helpful, at least you know that there are options.

35. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Yeah, DavidKOS, I’ve seen those grips. I usually try to do things the “correct” way, but lots of players seem to use the pinch too. I think I’m gonna go with the pinch grip held very loosely. I haven’t dropped a pick yet, but it wouldn’t matter if I did. So far, I’m only playing for my own amazement.

But back to the Jazz picks. I really like ‘em so far, and I’ve learned a lot about ‘em—Thanks, All. I think I’ll continue to mess with them for a while; I got nowhere to go but up . . .

37. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

What makes a jazz pick a jazz pick? It's primarily the size.

The "thinking" in jazz guitar playing is economy of movement. You usually play on string sets of 2 or 3 strings playing dyads and triads while changing chord shapes with the least amount of hand movement as possible. Open chords are a rarity in jazz. Same goes for lead-lines - economy of motion is king.

The smaller pick forces the player to limit their hand movements for the above reasons, which is why Dunlop names their small jazz picks the way they do.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -