Thread: Neil Young Archives now available

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Neil Young Archives now available (nmc)

I just saw this message from Neil Young, and thought I'd pass it on in case anyone here is interested.

I wanted a place where I could hear my music from the very beginning, from the high school bands I was in, to my latest recordings-audio and visual. I wanted to be able to hear it all, all the sound, all the sound I heard when I made those records and poured my heart and soul into every one, the good and the bad, the great and the ‘should be gone’. They are all there in the new place.

A giant time machine cabinet.

There are files and files for years and years, all full of music. Albums and tracks, bits and pieces, manuscripts and art, film and video. I live there.

Each song is being backed up with the archival material that relates to it and to the creation of it, from song writing to band jams, the history of this music is there. It’s never finished, it is huge and growing. We work night and day expanding the window you can see this archival stuff through.

Come and visit the cabinet and take a look inside. If you like my music, this should be a good place to wander and spend the light and dark hours.
    I visited Mr. Young's new site and had to register and log in to view it. Then I was taken to a welcome page - very lengthy text explanation of the site. I didn't read it all. I found there were no working links into the site from that page - if there is one, I couldn't find it. So I closed it, and re-entered the site. All the links were working then, and the site is set up with a lot of flash, simulating a file cabinet experience, which is cool if you like that type of design (doesn't do much for me, but to each his own).

I'll probably browse around in there a bit now. For me personally, it required a bit too much effort to get down to where the rubber meets the road on this website, but a big Neil Young fan may find this to be a mecca.

https://neilyoungarchives.com/
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; May-12-2018 at 1:45pm.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Neil Young Archives now available

Pretty cool once I got into the "timeline" on Neil's new site. I drug the timeline back to the beginning; it starts in 1960. I clicked and read a few things on the timeline, then the first recording I saw was an image of a 45 record; I clicked it. You can read details about the recording, and you can listen to either or both sides of the record instantly. Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil_Young_Archives_-_2018-05-12_13.37.58.png 
Views:	772 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	167643

Pretty cool so far.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Neil Young Archives now available

Thank you very much! I am a huge Neil Young fan and look forward to checking it all out.

6. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post: