Thread: Issue with Scheiter PU on Eastman 615

Default Issue with Scheiter PU on Eastman 615

Hey Folks,

i am really frustrated with the harsh sound of my schertler pickup preinstalled in the Eastman mandolin. I plan to change it to a k&k system. Anyone have the same experience? or do i need a certain preamp? it is a really harsh and undynamic signal out of pu. i tried to control it with a fishman platinum preamp with my AER alpha. I love my guitars and mandocello and mandola (all k&k) in that set up, but i can't get even close to a sound i like with that schertler.....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Issue with Scheiter PU on Eastman 615

This should be a Reso-Coil. Some had an XLR output on the mandolin, but later examples were standard jack.

Preamp not required (or desirable). Should just go into a mic level input on your PA desk. Have you tried it direct into the mic input on your AER (you might need a jack to XLR adapter or via a DI box).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Yes it has a Standard Jack. The „mic Mode is a Little better than the „line“ Mode. But the Problem is still a harsh sound.

Did you contact Schertler? Their tech support seems to be really good. They might have a quick fix for you. My Schertler sounds great; no harshness at all. And it's their base model.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Did you contact Schertler? Their tech support seems to be really good. They might have a quick fix for you. My Schertler sounds great; no harshness at all. And it's their base model.
    Okay that is interesting. I will meet the seller of my mandolin soon, maybe he can fix it. If not, i will replace it. I wonder if it is just my "taste" or my sound if have in mind or if it really is the schertler....

they also may use the TRS jack* , try ot with a TRS to XLR cable into the Mic Channel..

( if it does not have a duplex jack on the mixer/acoustic amp, if it does a balanced cable with 2 1/4" plugs will be good..)

* my Mix A5 is wired like that

Of course the pickup may be loose, come partially unglued , and you hear the rattling..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    they also may use the TRS jack* , try ot with a TRS to XLR cable into the Mic Channel..

( if it does not have a duplex jack on the mixer/acoustic amp, if it does a balanced cable with 2 1/4" plugs will be good..)

* my Mix A5 is wired like that

Of course the pickup may be loose, come partially unglued , and you hear the rattling..
    Do you really think, the cable could influence the general sound? I don't have an XLR to Trs but i will give it a try on Monday. If this is the solution, than this would be a real weird construction.....

You were right. With an Adapter cable to xlr, the Sound is very bright and clear. I think i will Change it to a K&K because this way i cant equilize or even mute/Switch the whole Thing. Not my Cup, that schertler. But thank you very much for your Responses. CU, Ax