Thread: One that got away: Lyon & Healy in Huntington Beach

Default One that got away: Lyon & Healy in Huntington Beach

This morning there was a Lyon & Healy Style C (listed as a "vintage Washburn") on Craigslist in Huntington Beach, CA for $150! No pickguard, and bridge and tailpiece had been replaced with Gibson-style hardware. But still!

Unfortunately the seller did not want to ship, and I didn't succeed in finding a local straw buyer in time. Listing has been deleted, so I fancy it has sold. Anyone here get it?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Default Re: One that got away: Lyon & Healy in Huntington Beach

No but what a score for that price! It was well worth the $ even if it didn't have a Loar tailpiece cover or heck any other Gibson cover!

How did i miss that??????

Sorry, man. I didn't post it here because I wanted a crack at it myself ... but I was afraid someone else would post it! The ad was up for less than a day.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I saw it today too and just now found the ad gone. Oh well, somebody had a real good day!
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Sorry, man. I didn't post it here because I wanted a crack at it myself ... but I was afraid someone else would post it! The ad was up for less than a day.
    Perfectly understandable, Martin. I'd be happy to chase a local lead for you that I didn't already see. I'm caught up in negotiations for the Loar copy in Palm Springs.

Well, I could post here and ask for a straw buyer, but that wouldn't stop someone else from jumping on it for himself or herself. When I saw it, I was surprised it hadn't already sold!

===========

Wow, somebody got a great deal! Usually all of the mandolins that I see on Craigslist are overpriced - like a Rogue A-style for $69; which is laughable because they sell new for $49!

Wow...I never stumble onto these kinds of deals, because I don’t invest the time looking through CL, Goodwill, EBay, etc. If it’s in any kind of decent shape, someone’s going to be very happy with that one!!
    Chuck

This is the exact reason I don't spend time on CL looking for things outside of my area, because 99 percent of the time they won't ship and it is frustrating to think about what I am missing out on. That's not what CL was designed for. It is for local sales.

Now, if you have a relative or friend in various cities who can buy it for you, that might work. I guess I'm old fashioned, though, it seems like people would rather go shopping online sitting on their butt than getting in the car and going to music stores, pawn shops, thrift stores, yard sales, etc. For me, it is more fun to get out of the house!

I don't have time to get out of the house, and I can surf Craigslist at 7 a.m. before the pawnshops are open!

Thought it might be too late to snag these, but I still had the ad up on one of my computers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00808_8pbS2THcpuV_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	167647

Name:	00J0J_7c5wQ6yzh2q_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	167648

Name:	00p0p_e2FaCuEaL1c_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	167649

Name:	00v0v_gRY2eRnbcYb_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	167650

Name:	01616_3ffsuXGsbg8_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	167651

Name:	00A0A_aY2pt53g105_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	167652

Karma is a funny thing. Sometimes it pops up when you least expect it.

Here's a technique that MIGHT work....................in getting sellers who don't want to ship TO SHIP!

I thought of something we used to do where I worked in the late 80's -- picture a time BEFORE there was a functional internet, before the convenience of Paypal, a more innocent time -- well, not really all that innocent -- we were just trying to make a buck, just like today!

Anyway, it will only work if the item is SEVERELY underpriced like this one. $150 mandolin that is worth $1500-1800, for example.
    AND, there is risk involved for the buyer, so a lot of people won't be interested, but THERE IS ZERO risk for the seller. Actually, the seller comes out MUCH BETTER.

The technique is to send CASH by FedEx or USPS Express Mail overnight and you pay them a bonus for their trouble. This would only be used if the seller won't accept Paypal and isn't interested in shipping. The conversation would be something like, "OK, you're right, it is a hassle to pack it up and take it to UPS, so I am willing to make it easy for you. You want $150 for the mandolin and I am willing to pay you $400 for it. I know you don't want to be bothered with packing it, so you can just take it to your local UPS store and have them pack it and I will pay you another $100 for that, even though the actual cost will be less than that. OK, it is now 3:30 in the afternoon, give me your address and I will overnight you $500 in CASH and you will have it BEFORE NOON. How does that sound? Do we have a deal?"

I think it could work. I worked for a major record store in the late 80's and that was a technique we used to get people to end auctions early and it worked. Believe it or not, we often sent as much as $3500 in cash in the regular FedEx envelope! If the day is almost over and you tell a guy he'll have CASH before noon, nobody is going to say no. And, it goes without saying, if he doesn't get the money, then the deal is off. The buyer's risk must be weighed against the potential for profit, which is something people in business do every day, anyway, IMHO.

What'ya think? You would, in effect, be paying $500 for an $1800 instrument, so still a great deal by most peoples standards and if you are buying for resale, still plenty of room for profit!

I should add that it is NOT illegal to send cash through the mail, if anyone is thinking that.

Or how about:
    "I will send you a Bank Check from my friend for $5,000. Keep $1,000 for your trouble plus another $1,000 for the mandolin, and send the other $3,000 to my shipper... and keep the mandolin as well..."

The Con-Artist Formerly Known As The Nigerian Prince.

16. The following members say thank you to Dacraw54 for this post:

Sure, there is trust involved with somebody you don't know, which you have to size up in advance through a phone conversation. The beauty of this technique is that it is CASH, not a check or Paypal, which can be reversed.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; May-14-2018 at 2:08pm.

Well, that might work with some people ... of course the problem is sometimes that you're dealing with a rules-oriented person, and the Postal Service has rules about sending cash through the mail. So to that person, you're still a rulebreaker, violating not only Craigslist rules but Postal Service rules as well.

In the present case, the seller was just on offline, telephone-only kind of guy. He'd actually had a friend place the ad for him, and the friend was much more open to facilitating a long-distance transaction. However, the instrument got sold to a local buyer while I was still going back and forth over email with the friend.

Without its original pickguard and tailpiece, a Style C is not worth $1500. Mighta been worth a grand on a good day.

19. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I should add that it is NOT illegal to send cash through the mail, if anyone is thinking that.
    If a seller banks at a bank that has a branch in your town you can deposit into their account. I've done this once to pry a craigslist seller into shipping me the item. There are so many scams most sellers will panic at the request to ship.

Worked out good for both and I got something I had been chasing for a long time. Had a lot of comm with seller before hand to ease both our concerns but wouldn't recommend unless option A thru D are out.

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    If a seller banks at a bank that has a branch in your town you can deposit into their account. I've done this once to pry a craigslist seller into shipping me the item. There are so many scams most sellers will panic at the request to ship.
    How does that work? I’m assuming most people don’t want to give out their bank account number.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    How does that work? I’m assuming most people don’t want to give out their bank account number.

Phil
    you give it out every time you write a check, account number and routing, I know most people today don't write checks, but if you do, it's on there.

There is a mentality that has sprung up in the last 30 years or so, due to the internet (and not understanding it fully -- who does?) where people live in fear of being scammed if they click the wrong email, give out their phone number, buy something online, etc. There was a recent thread about a member trying to SELL something locally on Craigslist and he was afraid to respond to (obviously) legitimate buyers, for fear of a scam, being robbed, or maybe even his life! The responses to that thread surprised me in that he was not alone -- more people seemed to feel like he did than didn't. Probably an age demographic at play, among other things. A few years ago there were people still alive who were born before automobiles were invented.......same idea.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; May-19-2018 at 12:44pm.

omitted post.
    Last edited by Charles E.; May-21-2018 at 3:52pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    The new owner did not waste any time putting it in the classifieds here on the Cafe.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124677#124677

NFI
    David is a long-time Café member who lives nowhere near Huntington Beach. Notice the difference in the fretboard extensions, the bridge, and the top shading. Not the same instrument at all.

27. The following members say thank you to Dacraw54 for this post:

My apologies to David. Thanks.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Yep, when I saw the tailpiece on David's mandolin, the thought crossed my mind for a second ... but it's not the same instrument.

30. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post: