Thread: Hello--and is this F-5G real?

Default Hello--and is this F-5G real?

Hey all--I've been enjoying lurking the forums, and found a lot of great information quietly reading. But I've run into something that is out of my depth in trying to figure out if this is the real deal, or maybe a knockoff?

https://ibb.co/b43Ldy

There are two things that stick out like a sore thumb, and that is the fret count (28, seems one short), and the fact that the flowerpot is not very precise.

I know with guitars I can spot the fakes a mile away--do you all feel this is a legit Gibson?

Oh hey, I can upload images now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29314081_1865029353521124_909052939417419776_n.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	167600
    Last edited by Scott R; May-11-2018 at 9:15am. Reason: Added imager.

Default Re: Hello--and is this F-5G real?

That is an F5G from Gibson. Nobody would go to that much trouble of Faking an F5G. For lack of the back binding and fretboard binding they would have had a much more expensive model. It's real.

By the way, I play one.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-11-2018 at 10:39am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Looks like a G to me, better pix would help. I used to have one many years ago.

Thanks for the input, hard to find any other samples with an inlay like that so I was a little worried.

That inlay is like every older F5G I've ever seen. What is about it that is causing you to pause?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Second question, if this had a broken headstock in the first year, that resulted in a full neck replacement back at th factory, does that have any overall effect on value?

I figured one of our regulars would have popped in on this question by now. Generally repairs do devalue the instrument depending on how well they were done but I've never experienced one this new with this much done.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Looks like a very nice mando.

Is anybody here able to help a new player gauge a sense of value on this model Gibson in average used condition? This has a factory installed pickup from 99/2000 era. Probably hasn’t been played in a decade so I’m not sure if it has been kept humidified, etc.

If I go take a look, are there any good threads on the forum here of a checklist of things to examine?

Thanks!!!

In 2005 my brand new F5G had a list price of $3,900.00 or so. I paid about $3,500.00 for it new. In the last several years I've seen F5G's from the early 2000's stay around the $3,000 range. I've seen some as low as $2,700.00 but that might have been an abomination.

These are the recently sold (Not listed but sold, the price is in green) F5G's on eBay. As of todays date there are two, a 2011 that sold for $3100.00 and a 2014 that sold for $3399.00.

Honestly condition is probably as much a factor in a sale price as the year is on this model. If you use that $3000.00 price as the average (going by what I've seen) then an F5G should sell realistically for that price plus or minus. Generally a repair will devalue an instrument. The question is, by how much? In your case it's a bit different as the repair was actually a Factory rebuild so now you're down to condition and playablility. I haven't seen or played the actual instrument but in my mind if it played and sounded good and looked as if it hadn't been repaired that you might have a $2500.00 instrument there but that's just my opinion.

As far as what to look for, does it look like it was repaired and how does it sound and play? If you don't play mandolin try to find a friend that does to go with you.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mike,

Thanks for the insight--I'm learning a few songs, and I play guitar, so I think I will be able to get an okay sense of tone and sound of the things I'm used to playing. The seller is asking closer to $4000, which seemed like quite a lot to me, but I haven't seen a decent mandolin show up for sale around here in a long long time

I may make the trek to go check it out this weekend, and I'll report back!

I personally wouldn't make the trip for $4000.00. That price is in Hollywood. Where are you located?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm happy to have an offline chat about that

That doesn't help you. I actually know where you're at. If the members of the cafe have an idea they can generally point you to stores or people in your area. I don't know of anybody.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ... I actually know where you're at. ...
    Don't worry OP, Mike's not a stalker or anything. He's a Moderator - they're like wizards, they know stuff about us posters, it's part of the job I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ... If the members of the cafe have an idea they can generally point you to stores or people in your area. I don't know of anybody.
    Good point, and good reasoning.

I would agree that $4000 seems really high. Prices will vary depending on the vintage. The recent Dave Harvey era probably being the most desirable? Condition will effect the price as well. Does it need setup or fretwork? Prices do seem to be on the rise as new Gibson's have jumped in price recently.
    If you would like a Gibson F5G at a really good price look for a 1999 to 2001 Flatiron Festival F5. In 1998 Gibson moved production from Montana to Nashville and Gibson and Flatiron mandolins were made on the same benches by the same luthiers and both had Gibson Master Model labels. Charlie Derrington was over seeing production at that time and had Danny Roberts, Sim Daley (later Daley mandolins) among others. Festival F5's from that period sell from $2200 to $2900. Here is the one I know of for sale, unfortunately it received damage in shipping. Might be worth a look but I would want to get it down a little more.
    http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...n-festival-f-5

Here is F5 made by Paul Schneider of Summit mandolins and made for The Mandolin Store. He worked for Gibson in the mid 90's before going out on his own so may be similar in sound to a Gibson.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/search

Good luck in the search, there seem to be a lot of good mandolins available right now and a few good deals.

18. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

I really appreciate the feedback from everybody. I'm not worried about Mike stalking me, just keeping quiet about where this is until I decide to act on it or not. It's outside my ability, but since everything is always negotiable and cash tends to make a difference--I figured there is no harm is taking a look if I can learn more about what to look for.

I'm waiting on a few more details from the seller, then may have a few more questions

Blog Entries

I am with Northwest Steve. I A/B'd (on paper not in person) a Gibson F5G for $3,000 and a 2001 Flatiron Festival for $2600 and I opted to go with the Flatiron. I am glad I did. It sounds and plays better than the F-9 I owned. I am really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironscott View Post
    I really appreciate the feedback from everybody. I'm not worried about Mike stalking me, just keeping quiet about where this is until I decide to act on it or not. It's outside my ability, but since everything is always negotiable and cash tends to make a difference--I figured there is no harm is taking a look if I can learn more about what to look for.

I'm waiting on a few more details from the seller, then may have a few more questions
    If it was advertised anywhere and it was a spectacular price it would already be gone. That's generally what happens when someone shares something like this with four or five hundred of their friends. I don't think you have to worry about anyone snatching this way from you.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

As always, Mike E is a storehouse of useful information. What a great resource to have on the Cafe.

23. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

This just showed up in the classifieds:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124619#124619
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post: