Thread: Setting up a jam in Granby, MA (near Amherst)

Default Setting up a jam in Granby, MA (near Amherst)

Some friends/colleagues and I are setting up a jam in western Massachusetts. Near Amherst and the Five Colleges, and closer to Springfield/Hartford than Worcester or Greenfield, but still in a pretty central location.

A couple years ago there was a good bluegrass jam at the Black Sheep deli in Amherst, but that's since disappeared. There was also a good jam at Luthier's Coop in Easthampton, but it's petered out. I hear Downtown Sounds in Northampton also has started up a jam for beginners on Fridays, run by former Maple Ridge bassist, Joe Blumenthal. That should be good.

So we're trying to figure out what day is best for everybody. We're thinking late Sunday afternoon, say around 4 or so, and going until 7ish.

Some of the folks have suggested making it a potluck/byob.

We're also looking for a location. There are a couple churches that have been kind to offer space, but they don't allow alcohol or food and some have restrictions on Sunday timing. So we're still looking.

Suggestions are welcome:
    1. Most central town
    2. Venue
    3. Day of the week/time
    4. Potluck/byob?

===========

Default Re: Setting up a jam in Granby, MA (near Amherst)

I did a local TV show in the Amherst area many years ago - back then it was something of a hotbed for acoustic and/or original music. I can't imagine that you would have too much trouble attracting some good musicians, no matter what the parameters

Let us know how it turns out!

04Bravo

Good timing, thanks for mentioning the Downtown Sounds jam, I'll have to look into that. I'm still pretty new to mandolin and have nearly no experience with jamming. I live in the Springfield area and was never able to get up to Easthampton Friday nights, but Granby in the afternoon would be ideal. I'll drop you a PM this afternoon. Thanks again!
    Phoenix Select #654
    Harmony Monterey 417

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    Some friends/colleagues and I are setting up a jam in western Massachusetts. Near Amherst and the Five Colleges, and closer to Springfield/Hartford than Worcester or Greenfield, but still in a pretty central location.

A couple years ago there was a good bluegrass jam at the Black Sheep deli in Amherst, but that's since disappeared. There was also a good jam at Luthier's Coop in Easthampton, but it's petered out. I hear Downtown Sounds in Northampton also has started up a jam for beginners on Fridays, run by former Maple Ridge bassist, Joe Blumenthal. That should be good.

So we're trying to figure out what day is best for everybody. We're thinking late Sunday afternoon, say around 4 or so, and going until 7ish.

We're also looking for a location. There are a couple churches that have been kind to offer space, but they don't allow alcohol or food and some have restrictions on Sunday timing. So we're still looking.

Suggestions are welcome:
    1. Most central town
    2. Venue
    3. Day of the week/time
    4. Potluck/byob?
    Without having much to contribute to the discussion by way of great suggestions for a location, I just wanted to throw some wood on the fire and say, "Yes, there's at least one guy near Springfield (Agawam, mandolin) who would love to see more jams in Hampden and Hampshire Counties." Eric's jam at Black Sheep Deli in Amherst was wonderful while it lasted, even if I couldn't keep up with that level of playing! There is great talent in Western Mass. I'd love to see a jam during the afternoon, as it can be hard to get motivated to get to a jam on an icy and dark winter night in these here parts... I think you know what I mean! ;-)

04Bravo

it can be hard to get motivated to get to a jam on an icy and dark winter night in these here parts...
    You can say that again. Too many Friday nights this past winter where Mountain Road was closed (or should've been), no easy way to get to Easthampton. Certainly kept me from going to the Luthier Co-op's jam...that, and not yet having the experience or the chops to keep up with more talented players!

I'm hoping that the beginner's jam in Noho (that's Northampton to those outside the valley) will be a good experience.
    Phoenix Select #654
    Harmony Monterey 417

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post

Suggestions are welcome:
    1. Most central town
    2. Venue
    3. Day of the week/time
    4. Potluck/byob?
    I am an age 62, female mandolin player from Belchertown looking for others to jam with. Are you accepting new members?