Thread: New (old) mandolin day! 1910 Gibson A

Default New (old) mandolin day! 1910 Gibson A

Instead of buying the hodge-podge Gibson at a local Guitar Center, decided to go with something else. This A was sitting on Reverb for a very low price. In large part because of the serious repairs. The box finally arrived yesterday and was really excited to tune it up and start playing. Photos to prove it's happened -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front resized.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	167251 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back resized.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	167252

Was happy enough with everything that I just packed it up in the new Reunion Blues gigbag (which also arrived yesterday) and took it right down to a Scandinavian music jam.

First off - it's easy to play, even with a much larger neck profile than my 1929 A Jr. Also, the sound is entirely different. While the Jr has a lot of bass, this is very mid range heavy. Seemed that I could hear myself with the assorted fiddles, guitar, accordion and bass a little bit easier. No idea how it projects yet. Am hoping to have my mentor try it tonight.

It does have the original cam clamp on the pickguard. Am guessing the pickguard is original. There is no patent date stamp on it. And while the s/n is legible, there is no visible FON. My guess is it exists underneath the label.

Now, on to the reason it was so inexpensive. At some point, it appears the center laminate in the neck shrunk over time, causing the peghead to pull apart. The owner repaired it by inserting two dowels into the headstock and gluing everything back together. Also, the back has been reglued at least once because of different shrinking rates between the back and the sides. Plus, one of the A tuners failed at one point, so the owner cut apart another Handel tuner strip and installed a single tuner replacement. My guess is it's from a guitar because of the different peghead shaft. But the buttons look the same and everything works fine. In fact, the tuners work better than either the original or even the Golden Age replacements on my A Jr.

Bridge is not original. Probably from a 1950's Kay or something similar. Owner drilled it out for the pickguard pin.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: New (old) mandolin day! 1910 Gibson A

Congrats on N(o)MD, Eric!!!

Any plans to restore the previous repairs with more sound methods, or do you plan to keep it as it is?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

3. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

===========

CONGRATULATIONS!

I for one am not overly concerned about everything being original on an instrument. As a matter of fact, when one like yours has been put together like Frankenstein to keep it alive and playable, I find that to be very cool . . . and when the repairs allows you to buy a classic piece at a low price - well, it doesn't get too much better than that.

I envy you. Enjoy!

5. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Gotta love NOMD! Congrats!
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Congrats on N(o)MD, Eric!!!

Any plans to restore the previous repairs with more sound methods, or do you plan to keep it as it is?
    Nope. For one reason, then it wouldn't be the bargain. But mainly because the center strip in the neck really shrank over the years. You can feel it when playing. Doesn't bother me.

The repairs are all very solid. And in my mind add to the character of the instrument.

I might eventually get a compensated bridge. But that depends on how it sounds in the band. Or, if I can find a bridge top that will just drop on.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

Blog Entries

I love it when a beatup old ugly duck emits beautiful music. Every gouge, scrape, glue blob, and gaping crevasse has its own contrarian contribution to the charm.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

10. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

It would be nice, although purely cosmetic, to treat it to a pineapple tailpiece cover some day.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

12. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Congratulations!

Seems you could fix the feel if it needed it; however?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

14. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Congratulations!

Seems you could fix the feel if it needed it; however?

f-d
    Probably. Although I just discovered that the feel is due in part to another repaired crack in the headstock. This thing had a rough life.

BTW, was able to compare it to a 1909 that my mentor (Ralph Tutilla) plays. The neck on his is a lot bigger. Like, huge compared to this one. Played a couple of tunes with his main band, Finn Hall. These two mandolins sound a lot closer than when I play my Jr.

And while I can't totally confirm it, this one seems to cut through a group of other instruments quite well. Then again, still in the honeymoon phase.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

No doubt. I love my paddlehead Gibson. I've had a few snakes, but my A3 is the winner. . . for me!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Bridge is not original. Probably from a 1950's Kay or something similar. Owner drilled it out for the pickguard pin.
    I would imagine that a quality repro bridge, appropriate for the period, would make it sound even better. That non-original bridge looks really clunky IMHO.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would imagine that a quality repro bridge, appropriate for the period, would make it sound even better. That non-original bridge looks really clunky IMHO.
    Looking into that. Any good recommendations? Also checking on a couple of originals.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I was considering having Mike Dulak (Big Muddy Mandolins) making me a new fixed bridge for my Flatiron 1N when I had it... shoot him an email, he might be willing (if you think it is an appropriate style of bridge).
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Teacher, repair person

Original mid 'teens bridges are available from Smakula Fretted Instruments in Elkins, WV.
    www.smakula.com/MandoParts.html

These will be different from what was originally on a 1910 model. The mid 'teens bridges are a single piece with a compensated top. A 1910 bridge would have a slightly thicker base with a slot cut into it to accommodate removable compensated saddles.

Note that some fitting will probably be required. This would also be true if you have one made for you.

If you do have one made for you, it might be best to have it done locally so they can fit it and make sure that the height is correct.

I will mention that some of the 'teens style bridges are on the thin side and can produce a somewhat nasal quality that some people like and others don't. If you want to maintain the current bassy sound of your mandolin, you might try to find one that is a bit thicker.
    Last edited by rcc56; May-02-2018 at 11:05pm.

23. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: