Thread: Big Muddy Mandola, M-17

Default Big Muddy Mandola, M-17

Any experience with one of these? Sound, fit & finish, etc. thanks

Default Re: Big Muddy Mandola, M-17

No mandola here, but I do have a Mid-Missouri mandolin and octave mando. I like them a lot! Mike Dulak builds solid instruments. The fit and finish, while not 'fancy' is very good.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Here is a fun video featuring two Mid-Mo/Big Muddy mandolas by Cafe member bratsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J83R_K1cvw
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

I have a Mid-Missouri M-16 mandola, as well as an all mahogany version that's not on their list (probably a special order - I get my instruments pre-owned). They're both nice, plain and solidly built instruments.

The M-17 looks like a fairly recent addition that I was not aware of previously. I can't comment on it, other than to say that I recently acquired another instrument that has a spruce top and ovangkol back and sides. It's a tenor ukulele - I know, that's apples and oranges in terms of nylon vs steel strings, but insofar as I've experienced it, I do like the tonal qualities of that wood combination, FWIW. Seems to be a very good balance of nice sustain and clear individual note separation across the range (and I have the uke tuned as a viola or mandola).

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

5. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    Here is a fun video featuring two Mid-Mo/Big Muddy mandolas by Cafe member bratsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J83R_K1cvw
    Cross posted and didn't see that! Gosh, I hope I have improved (a lot) in my playing since then. LOL

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Thank you all for your comments. I have a Big Muddy mandolin (Jumbo) I love it, and a BM mandola, all mahogany and now the M-17 coming.

I love them.

As far as your comments, *I also love cats and music and I especially revere Aldo Leopold. I spent a career in wildlife conservation.

thanks.

8. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

So you've ordered an M-17 already! Look forward to reading your impressions of it, and possibly hearing a sound sample?!

And you have an all mahogany mandola, as well. You're the first other one I know of. They must be pretty rare.

bratsche

The all "hog" mandola label says it is 2 of 10 Special edition Quilted Mahogany. the label also says it is model M-14-11.

I bought it used and it arrived with a substantial crack on the top near the lower edge. Mike Dulak, Big Muddy Mandolins, is relatively close, so I sent it to him, he fixed it beautifully, and even refinished the body. He was extremely reasonable on the repair price. The mandola to me, an un-accomplished player, sounds wonderful; mellow, "growly", etc. I wish I could describe sound but for me, it is great and I hope the M-17 is as good with the added rosewood sound.

My playing hope is to someday be able to play some Bach on it and also some fiddle tunes. regular tunes, hymns, folk songs and all kinds of stuff. I like anything that comes out of this mandola. I must also say (without any financial interest) that the Big Muddy line of mandolin family instruments is the best instrument value out there!

thanks to all.

Wow, yours sounds rarer than mine! Mine says on the label that it's a M11-M, and has a regular serial number of a high enough sort that I have to assume it includes all mandolas made. (There can't be all that many all-mahogany mandolas!) But mine does have Mike Dulak's signature on the label, which I'd never before seen. It is regular straight-grained mahogany, but very pretty nonetheless, and it's also the strikingly reddest-hued mahogany I've seen on any of the "hog" instruments I've owned. Nice black ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock veneer. Curiously enough, it arrived strung with mandolin strings, but the e-strings popped as soon as I tried to bring them to pitch. I've been considering retrying that experiment, either with this or the M-16, as I have so many CGDA tuned instruments. LOL And I admit, these two have been played less of late, as I've grown fond of the 17" scale length on others. They're too good to give up, though....

I now Mike is a great guy, I've heard all kinds of stories about him going the extra mile even for owners of used instruments of his. The only experience I've had pales in comparison - this mandola arrived with an empty hole where one of the side dots belonged - I emailed him, and right away he mailed me a piece of "dot material" with instructions for proper installation. ;-)

bratsche