Thread: E string tuning down when tightened?

Mandoline Morology

Question E string tuning down when tightened?

Heyo, I searched around a bit but could only find people discussing string breakage and not exactly what I'm experiencing here.

I got a new set of strings and have restrung everything but my two high E-strings. (Stringing up .10's) I still have an old E string in place that I put in a few months back (also .10) that works perfectly fine.

The problem is, the new string, when tuning up starts to tune down at a certain point. Or tunes up very slowly despite multiple turns on the peg (3 turns for a half step, it's ridiculous) and then slips back down.

I have strung from the inside correctly, as evidenced by the two perfectly functional A strings I put in yesterday. What could be going wrong here? Do I need to do some sort of fancy wrap?

The problem is the string is already bent to heck around the post when I was able to get it up to C (briefly, I thought I could let it stretch out and tune to E) so now it's probably less than usable for restringing.

Apologies if this has been posted before (Or I stuck it in the wrong section) and I couldn't find it, and thanks in advance for any replies!

2. The following members say thank you to Triiodine for this post:

Default Re: E string tuning down when tightened?

The loop end may be slipping.

4. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Blog Entries

E strings will slip on the post unless the string is locked down or unless there are multiple wraps on the post before the string is threaded through it. I usually wrap an E string about three wraps before sticking the end through the post. That should be enough to prevent slipping. Other folks will thread the string through the post then bring the end back halfway around the post and loop it under the string so that tightening it will lock the end in place.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

6. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Agreed with previous posts. This sound like string slipping at the post (could be the tailpiece).
    Minor tuning issues can be the nut, but it shouldnt be to the extent of what you are describing.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

Smile Re: E string tuning down when tightened?

If in fact you have secured the string to the post and that issue is resolved, it is important for you to know that unwound strings, in particular, will stretch out and drop in pitch. This is true of the wound strings too, but unwound stretch more and lose their pitch more easily until seated. I think you were saying it was happening even as you turned the tuning machine, so that would be related to what the two gentlemen above said as a solution or solutions. The point I am making, is if after the string is secure and no longer sliding through the hole in the post, you need to gently pull the strings, re-tune, pull them 2 or 3 times again and re-tune, until they stop slipping out of tune and begin to hold. This works for me on guitars and mandolins. The key though is to install the string appropriately and after it is well secured, to pull firmly but not too hard. Redoing this process until you can play a few minutes and your tuners begin to hold your tuning will help a great deal. The first day or three after you have changed strings you might need to repeat this process. Also, strings react to temperature and humidity and thus will typically need re-tuning to relative pitch before playing each day. If they are stretched and in place, you should be able to just fine tune as needed throughout your practice or performance. Before placing my mandolin in the case for the night, I always tune carefully one more time to create the memory in the strings to get their pitches established for the next few months of using that new set of strings. I hope I haven't been too long winded. I share this to help, humbly, but you may have already know 90% of what I wrote, so if so, just ignore. Best to you.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

If there are too few wraps around the post, the string will not have wound below the hole in the post. Since the cross-section of the post here is not round, the result of turning the tuning knob will be inconsistent and frustrating.
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

11. The following members say thank you to twaaang for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by twaaang View Post
    If there are too few wraps around the post, the string will not have wound below the hole in the post. Since the cross-section of the post here is not round, the result of turning the tuning knob will be inconsistent and frustrating.
    Totally disagree, I have used the locking method for 30 years both mandolin and guitar. In most cases the string is not wound around the post even once. They don't slip they tune well and the " stretching" that was mentioned in a couple of post is just about eliminated which I believe is more taking up slack in all those winding than stretching. This method works for me.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Go onto YouTube and search for restringing Martin guitars. Watch and follow the method taught by the Martin guitar tech. If you still experience slipping on that same post, then something is failing on your tuner. You will need to disassemble and inspect further.
    Blessings

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Rusty,
    You're probably 7 months too late.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Rusty,
    You're probably 7 months too late.
    Mando-tech beats that every time.

Triiodine never responded to any of the suggestions here, all of which covered the problem pretty well. (1) String slipping at post, (2) loop end sliding, (3) string is stretching. Those are the most likely culprits. Heading up the rear and pretty far behind, (4) defective tuner.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

17. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I've had the loop end slowly unwind and as it happened it could be described exactly as you have stated. What eventually happens is the loop end of the string (usually an E string) will come completely undone. It happens, usually a manufacturing defect in winding the loop end. Check and see how much winding is still remaining at the loop end of the string.

For a few years, I've been using this fellow's video demonstrating how to use the "locking method" on strings, and find it very good. However, there are still rare days when gremlins arrive and do their mischief. (If the links don't work search YouTube for "Restringing Your Mandolin WEB HD".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVXKp5fIKc

Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    For a few years, I've been using this fellow's video demonstrating how to use the "locking method" on strings, and find it very good. However, there are still rare days when gremlins arrive and do their mischief. (If the links don't work search YouTube for "Restringing Your Mandolin WEB HD".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVXKp5fIKc

That is the "Martin Method". Thanks for the mandolin related video. Blessings

21. The following members say thank you to RustyMadd for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Totally disagree, I have used the locking method for 30 years both mandolin and guitar. In most cases the string is not wound around the post even once. They don't slip they tune well and the " stretching" that was mentioned in a couple of post is just about eliminated which I believe is more taking up slack in all those winding than stretching. This method works for me.
    I've used the locking method since I begin playing again a little over three years ago. Have no clue what I did years back as I'd quit playing for 23 years. I saw this video by Brad Laird and have used the locking method ever since.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Hk34p2OBA
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Never had a problem with a string slipping at the tuner-end of the mandolin — I've been using the method shown in the video for 40+ years on the mandolin (and guitar).

I have had E strings (only E's, BTW) slip at the tailpiece, though, especially on tailpieces without the locking second clip found on Gibson-style tailpieces. Bought a dozen sets of D'Addario J-75s where all of the E strings (.0115) had this problem —#the end wrap would just cinch up like a noose.

Called D'Addario customer service and they acknowledged that they had a problem with QC on one of their winders and replaced all of those E's.

Since that time, I alway string the high strings using that extra clip, and even had a tailpiece that didn't have that feature modified to include wrapping points. Haven't had another problem since adopting that approach.

As per the tailpiece on the right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibsontp.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	172921
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Love that Video! I usually just wind it up, but now I'm using that locking method. Way easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Never had a problem with a string slipping at the tuner-end of the mandolin — I've been using the method shown in the video for 40+ years on the mandolin (and guitar).
    I have had E strings (only E's, BTW) slip at the tailpiece, though, especially on tailpieces without the locking second clip found on Gibson-style tailpieces. Bought a dozen sets of D'Addario J-75s where all of the E strings (.0115) had this problem —#the end wrap would just cinch up like a noos Called D'Addario customer service and they acknowledged that they had a problem with QC on one of their winders and replaced all of those E's.
    Since that time, I alway string the high strings using that extra clip, and even had a tailpiece that didn't have that feature modified to include wrapping points. Haven't had another problem since adopting that approach.
    As per the tailpiece on the right:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibsontp.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	172921
    Never ceases to amaze me how we think we have advanced beyond the old ways only to discover how well they worked. I always have used the extra pins on the tailpiece and don't remember a loop ever slipping.