Thread: Suggestions for one hand capo?

Default Suggestions for one hand capo?

Hi,

I’m in search for a capo which I can move while playing (mostly for irish tunes sets). I have a quick draw capo, but it doesn’t work well for me on lower frets. May be because of thin fretwire, I’m not sure, but I cannot get rid of buzzing if I use it on 1-3 frets.
    At the moment I use Shubb and it’s a nice capo, but it takes a while to move it.
    So I’m thinking about Kyser or Thalia or something similar.
    Do you guys have an experience using these, what’re your thoughts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions for one hand capo?

If they make one the right size, "G7" brand capos are really wonderful. They easily work with one hand.

Blog Entries

I like the Kyser. I like that you can clip it to the headstock when you don't want to use it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Here's one that you can roll up and down the fretboard:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142670063278?chn=ps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roller capo.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	167083  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I have a G7 capo for my mandolin, it's hard for me to use it one handed. I have to press with both hands to lock that puppy down tight enough so it doesn't buzz.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

I have to say first that I don't use capos often, maybe once or twice a year now, mostly due to my playing style... But I carry a Paige capo with my F-9 and a Shubb capo with my MK.

I like the Paige capo because it can stay on the neck just above the nut, waiting to be used. On the other hand, it's sort of in the way there when I'm playing near the nut, and if I bump it hard enough while playing, the capo can draw my strings out of tune. I can place it on the fingerboard with one hand but to really get it accurate takes two hands.

I like the Shubb capo because it folds up small and I can stick it in my pocket, or if I'm careful on my peghead. On the other hand, it's really unhandy to put on the fingerboard. It usually takes two hands to put it in place, but once there it's pretty accurate.

Really, both capos can draw strings out of tune if tightened too much or in the wrong place.

That's really why I don't use capos, they almost always require some re-tuning and I usually do not have time to re-tune between songs.

Note: If you have a radiused fingerboard, a flat capo may not work well for you.
    Last edited by dhergert; Apr-25-2018 at 3:05pm.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

If you find a capo that you can use one hand it will most likely not be in tune when you use it. I find putting on a capo, if you take your time, does not alter tuning. That said few people that I have played with seldom can play with a capo without retuning. Also when you tune you should tune with the capo off so the strings aren't bound in the capo and move when you start to play. That being said I would be interested to see if there is a one hand capo that will not detune your instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I would suggest an Elliott Banjo capo. These" hand made" lovelies are as good as it gets in capo land. R/ https://elliottcapo.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=29
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I've seen a bouzouki player use an old school elastic strap capo to good effect. If I recall correctly he was using lighter gauge strings as well. The capo sat just past the nut, and when needed, he very quickly slid it up the neck to position. This was done in the middle of playing a set of tunes.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/78...fType=&from=fn
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Or you could use the Bobby Thompson banjo capo technique. There would be an elastic capo at the nut that he would move forward with the thumb and index finger, all the while fretting with the rest of the fingers and continuously picking with the right hand. He would modulate up to the next key of choice without stopping to put on the capo. i'm not sure what he did about the 5th string, but no matter, as the mandolin doesn't have one of those to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    I would suggest an Elliott Banjo capo. These" hand made" lovelies are as good as it gets in capo land. R/ https://elliottcapo.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=29
    I really like the quality of Elliott capos, but I guess they don't have a capo which is possible to move quickly with one hand during sets

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    I've seen a bouzouki player use an old school elastic strap capo to good effect. If I recall correctly he was using lighter gauge strings as well. The capo sat just past the nut, and when needed, he very quickly slid it up the neck to position. This was done in the middle of playing a set of tunes.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/78...fType=&from=fn
    I tried this one, but I guess the tension on my instrument (long scale mandola) is a bit too much to use it. I think I'm going to try lower tuning (or lighter strings) to see if I can make it work.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwMobileP...po_BlackPlanet Waves makes a one handed trigger style capo (sort of like a Kyser) that has an adjustable tension screw that allows you to set just the tension you need without pulling your strings sharp. I think it was designed for use with electric guitars with jumbo frets, but I’ve used them on acoustic guitar, OM, and mandocello as well. Don’t know if they make one small enough for banjo/mando, but I prefer these to my Kysers, especially when I’m performing.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwMobileP...ion_Capo_Black
    Chuck

Got the Kyser today, actually works pretty good so far. It's not as fast as sliding capo, but it works quite well and I haven't noticed significant detuning

I recently got a Planet Waves NS and it is easy to put on and does not detune my mando. They are cheap so you could try one and see if it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    It had better be for that price.

I find that the spring action one hand capos are bulky and get in the way of playing down next to it. I like this one. Not one handed but quick and doesn't get in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-.../dp/B00GTSM9XI

I recently bought a capo from Thalia. I was a bit skeptical at first and they are fairly expensive, but I've found it to work very very good on my guitars. They make different radius pressure pads so you can get a good clean press on most anything. It's quite easy to move it around as well. I've been using a NS (definately two hand) as well as Paige (fiddly and not always a good fit) capos but this is my new go-to for now. I play a lot of 12 fret, somewhat wide neck 000 style guitars. I was surprised at how well this worked right away.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

I have a couple of these adjustable d'addarios with the thumbwheel. The Tri action model applies a little more pressure than the "Artist"

I took off the spacer over the spring for use with banjos with light gauge strings and large frets to apply the absolute minimum pressure but I can still crank the thumbwheel to apply lots of downpressure. if it fits your necks (and has a barely visible fingerboard radius) it's worth a try.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwCapos.P...6-bf460f618067
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds