Thread: Newbie Looking For Guidance

Default Newbie Looking For Guidance

Hi all! Lately I've been thinking a lot about getting back into music (I played French Horn in HS and a few years after), and really wanted to get into mandolin! Hopefully this is the right area for this, very sorry if it should go elsewhere.

I've been looking online to see how much one would cost me and I'm feeling a bit lost and was hoping I could get some help. What should I be looking for in a mandolin for someone in my position? I've seen some as cheap as $50 but they make me a bit nervous and I'm not sure they're a beginner's trap... I've seen The Rogue a lot (unfortunately they don't seem to ship to my area) but they're on the cheaper end. Someone local to be is selling a Epiphone MM-30S for quite a bit cheaper than they seem to go for new (listed as minor damage, waiting to hear back on what exactly the damage is), so I was considering that, as well.

I'm really willing to put down a fair amount of money for a good instrument (see - ex french horn player), but at the moment I'd like to get a less expensive mandolin before I made a big leap and put down for a really nice one.

Really any tips or if anyone knows of any helpful beginner's guides I'd sure appreciate it!

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Guidance

The instruments most often recommended to beginners are Kentucky, Eastman, and Loar. The solid wood models are the ones you want to look at. This would be the Kentucky KM 150 and the Eastman 305.

The two body shapes are the A style and the F style. No difference in tone, but F style with the scroll is a lot more expensive.

The Kentucky KM 150 is under $400. If you want the quality of a Conn 8D French horn, go directly to the likes of Collings, Weber, Gibson, Pava or any number of others.

If you search the archives here you will get tones of information. What kind of music you want to play will play a part in he mandolin you'd want to get,bags will your location in the world.

The setup adjustments are very important on mandolins. Buying from a specialty mandolin store is advisable.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Welcome Vaera! Brick pretty much covered it, depending on how much you want to put into it. A-style would probably what you want to start with as you get more for your money. Eastman are very nice for a start and a keeper if you don't want to put more into it later. I've never had any Kentucky's available to try so can't say on that. $400-$700 would be what you are looking at the minimum for a good start. But if you are really serious and money not an issue then that could be considerably higher. If you don't have any place near you that does set ups then you definitely should buy from a reputable place that does that beforehand. Good luck!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaera View Post
    I'm really willing to put down a fair amount of money for a good instrument (see - ex french horn player), but at the moment I'd like to get a less expensive mandolin before I made a big leap and put down for a really nice one.
    Were I in your position, I would give strong consideration to a flattop such as this Flatiron Cadet:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/120738#120738

Because they are less labor intensive, they are priced comparably to beginners instruments. And they certainly do everything that a beginner needs, as they hold tune, play comfortably and sound so good that you'll want to practice more. The only area in which they don't excel -- taking breaks at a local bluegrass jam -- is one that beginners aren't ready for yet anyway. But here's the thing: they're not beginners instruments! They are made of solid woods by small shops or independent luthiers right here in the U.S. And when you're ready to take that break, or put down a fair amount of money for a good instrument, you won't need to sell or trade a flattop. Instead, it can slide over into other roles, such as backup, campfire mandolin, travel instrument, or alternate voice.
    Last edited by pheffernan; Apr-25-2018 at 6:47am. Reason: corrected link
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Were I in your position, I would give strong consideration to a flattop such as this Flatiron Cadet:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123699#123699
    That ad is for a $2750 Pomeroy, dude.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

8. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

mee 

Why, yes, the Pomeroy would make a fine starter mandolin!

All joking aside, I agree completely that Flatiron “pancakes” can be exceptional mandolins at a very nice price point...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Thanks for catching my error. I guess my copy didn't copy before I pasted my paste.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Ha! But seriously bro, dude: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123717#123717

Blog Entries

Thanks for catching my error. I guess my copy didn't copy before I pasted my paste.
    Watch it, buddy... I like that one... He He

I like the flattop idea as a way to start. They can be nice and loud. And many musical applications. Have fun with your search!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

13. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

From someone who started from scratch (i.e. no real musical background since dropping the recorder 35 years previously): my first mandolin was about £80.00. I still have it, and am planning to fiddle around with it when I understand mandolins better (2.5 years of start-stop-start self study under my belt and I think I'm starting to understand a thing or two), although I did upgrade to an Eastman about a year ago. And what I did learn is that I like the mando, and it cost me very little to get started on it. So, nothing wrong with getting a cheap mando to begin with; if nothing else, when you're ready to upgrade you'll be amazed at the sound difference.

Blog Entries

This one seems to fit your description: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123738#123738
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I also played french horn in high school and college!

pheff gives great advice - so great I almost bought it myself!

I think you'd love the $400 pancake!

Then you can worry about all the other choices!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Watch it, buddy... I like that one... He He
    I'm not trying to reveal state secrets, but I might have intended that mistaken link for a different thread . . . something about a mandolin under $3K . . .
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

19. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    pheff gives great advice - so great I almost bought it myself!
    You are down a pancake, and I can't remember the last time that you bought a mandolin.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Personal preference but for a first mandolin I would stay away from a flat top or pancake mandolin.

As mentioned here many times Kentucky and Eastman seem to be the most preferred recommended mandolins. They both make good mandolins and are pretty constant. The recent mandolins tend to be better. When you see an S in the model of a Kentucky it stands for solid wood and means that mandolin was an early to mid 2000's. Personally I would avoid them and look for something more recent. Kentucky 900, 950, 1000, 1050, 1500 are considered Master Models by Kentucky and they do put more effort into constructing them.

I have owned about a half dozen Kentucky mandolins and one Eastman, If I were in your shoes I would look at these three in the classifieds and I have some experience with all of them -

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123433#123433
    This one has nice up grades including a Cumberland bridge ($100 to 150 including having it fit), James tailpiece ($150), arm rest and the Florida scooped.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123734#123734
    Recent mandolin and there are several videos of Jesse playing it in the video sound section. Either of this are way above a starter mandolin and would serve you well for a long time.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123068#123068
    More of a starter but if it is a good one would be a lot of mandolin for the money.

One more if you want a scroll, I had a Kentucky 1050 and can not recommend it enough or convey how good it was. The 900/950's are the same but an A style.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/search

Lots of good choices right now. Good luck in the search.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

You are down a pancake, and I can't remember the last time that you bought a mandolin.
    I gave my pancake to my new son-in-law. Got to start them off right! Kids!

(Yes, I'd buy a pancake if the right one presented itself. It'd have to be plain jane, pre-Gibson and free from ever wearing J74s!)

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

23. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I'd suggest checking out JBovier. Chinese hand made instrument finished and setup by Jeff Cowherd in his USA shop. I have one and it is quite good. In my opinion, the best value under $1000 new.
    https://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/16368398/2017-a5

If you're interested in an F style, here's a good buy on a used one:
    https://www.bfstrings.com/store/p154..._Mandolin.html

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    The instruments most often recommended to beginners are Kentucky, Eastman, and Loar. . . .
    Very true.

I also like to let folks know about Big Muddy manodlins. All solid wood, made in the USA, loud, nice sound, affordable.

It won't be the last mando you'll buy, but you'll probably hang onto it as you delve into fancier instruments. I've held onto mine.

26. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    (Yes, I'd buy a pancake if the right one presented itself. It'd have to be plain jane, pre-Gibson and free from ever wearing J74s!)
    I'm on the case!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

28. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Good advice about Kentucky and Eastman. If you are just exploring, you want to get something that is inexpensive and that you can sell if you decide that the mandolin is not for you or if you find that great deal on a keep-forever mandolin.

I'd stick to all solid woods. There are some great-sounding mandolins with laminate back and sides, but for resale, buyers typically want all solid wood - simply because it seems that everyone advises new players to get all solid wood.

I'd avoid even considering an F style (the ones with a scroll). You pay more for the scroll. You pay more for binding. You pay more for radius fret board. You pay more for fancy finish. You pay more for inlay. Get the picture? So, for your test the water mandolin - get an A style - you don't pay extra for an A style.

You can get a new Kentucky KM-150 (all solid wood) for about $350 new or a Kentucky KM-250 for about $450 new. I would suggest you try to find one that is used for less. Recent Ebay sales of used KM 250 were going for about $225 and used KM 150 for about $200. So you can probably buy these used for similar prices at music stores.

An Eastman is typically more expensive - but like the Kentucky brand, they are popular and can probably be resold more easily.

And no, you don't need a factory installed pickup on your mandolin.

Good luck.

Here’s a link on learning styles.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_styles
    -You can work out the type of learning that works best for you and try that. I don’t know if anyone has written specifically on learning styles for mandolin.
    Or try as Adrian Gross said in a recent interview with Mike on the mandolin (paraphrased): I just look at what I find difficult to do, and work on that.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...h-Adrian-Gross
    I guess he would say what do you want to work on?
    1. Visual: These people prefer to use pictures, images, diagrams, colors, mindmaps, fretboard.
    2. Physical: These are the “learn by doing” people that use their body to assist in their learning. Drawing diagrams, using physical objects, or role playing are all
    strategies of the Physical learner.
    3. Aural: People who prefer using sound (obviously), rhythms, music, recordings, clever rhymes, and so on.
    4. Verbal: The verbal learner is someone who prefers using words, both in speech, songs and in writing to assist in their learning. They make the most of word based techniques, scripting, and reading content aloud.
    5. Logical: The people who prefer using logic, reasoning, and “systems” to explain or understand concepts. They aim to understand the reasons behind the learning, and have a good ability to understand the bigger picture. Tab?
    6. Social: These people are the ones who enjoy learning in groups or with other people, and aim to work with others as much as possible. Sessions.
    7. Solitary: The solitary learner prefers to learn alone and through self-study.