Thread: Restoring french polish

Default Restoring french polish

Not exactly a Mandolin!
    I'm restoring an antique Mandolin Guitar (or chorded zither, or fretless zither) for a friend.
    I have completed all the body repairs, but I am stumped by the top, which has a badly crazed and lumped varnish which needs to be removed and re-varnished. I have tested a corner and the varnish dissolves well in denatured alchohol (methylated spirit), and not well with laquer thinners, so I am assuming this is a french polish finish. The problem is with the gilt decals which need to be preserved. A tiny experiment with DN alchohol and a cotton bud seems to remove the gilt, leaving a white surface behind, which is not ok.
    Any helpful suggestions would be oh so welcome.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-02.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	167035

Default Re: Restoring french polish

I think that means the varnish has to stay in place. I would clean it and wax polish it. More French Polish would seal in the discoloured parts.

3. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

I would try T-cut on it, which will clean and shine up the surface without removing all the varnish (or the aged appearance). I have also seen Legend and Maguiars#2 mentioned on here.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by tonydxn View Post
    I would try T-cut on it, which will clean and shine up the surface without removing all the varnish (or the aged appearance). I have also seen Legend and Maguiars#2 mentioned on here.
    I would stay away from cutting liquids on damaged finish, they will contaminate all the cracks and voids in the finish and will be impossible to clean and leave ugly white lines.
    First of all... is the decal on top or under the finish?
    Anyway I would do cleaning with distilled water but gently not to do more damage (test on hidden place) and would apply some new shellac (assuming original is shellac based finish) as gently as possible not to disturb the decal. Perhaps fine artist brush with quick strokes along the cracks or chipped areas and not repeat in same place until it is reasonably dry (or you'll lift the softened finish)
    After this isolating layer is dry (and the voids at least partially filled but thoroughly sealed) I would scuff sand with fine paper just to get rid of dust or worst of the ripples again watching not to cut through. I would clean again with distilled water, let dry and follow either with brush or french polish. I would consider small spraygun or airbrush for the repairs as well.
    Adrian